2/4/20

Soap - Proraso Green
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow/Faux Horse
Razor - FAT Handle Tech
Blade - Bic Platinum Chrome (5)
Post - Witch Hazel
Balm - Nivea Replenishing Balm
AS - Benjamin's Bay Rum

Almost at the end of my tub of Proraso Green, maybe a day or two at the most. The sensation of finishing a soap isn't one I am too familiar with!

Have a good day chaps.

Sotd - 02-04-20 - Thursday - according to my Mac

Prep - facial scrub
razor - ATT Calypso M
blade - Supermax Platinum Plus (1)
brush - Yaqi - High Mountain White silver tip - the 'cloud on a stick'
soap - Williams - Ice Fresh Menthol cream - vegetarian
post - witch hazel
a/s - Lea Classic
balm - none needed
scent - none used.

Result - just lovely - a wee menthol blast to clear the senses.Enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

And for this evening my shave was themed 'General Brian Cadman'

A thing for holding sharp pieces of steel - Brass Colonial General
A sharp piece of steel - Schick Proline
An object for splatting lather on faces - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo in coppet/black
Something for making lather - Signature Soaps Hibernia

To cut a long story short, one super effing shave with super effing results and huge grin factor. For a blade on its last legs not a bad showing. But then again with the brass General as a supporting actor what else could I expect?

So smooth I want to run my smooth cheeks in mud

https://giphy.com/11kmRnTOD6Y0yA
And to round this SOTD off what else?

Thursday 2nd April

Noble Otter Monarch
Zenith Synthetic
Merkur Progress
GSB (3)
Quorum Aftershave

That did the trick, following a somewhat stressful day at work

The traffic seems to be lessening every day, meaning I get to work and home again relatively quickly

Be safe everyone

Date:- 03 April 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Lime | Lavender | Cedarwood
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matte SS 'SB-C' / Kai Stainless #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)

Friday‌ ‌04.03.20‌ ‌SOTD‌

Gillette ‘56 B-2 Regular Flare Tip Super-Speed in beige case
Gillette‌ ‌Nacet‌ ‌(1)‌ ‌

Frank‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌24mm‌ ‌x‌ ‌53mm‌ ‌Finest‌ ‌Badger‌

Taylor‌ ‌of‌ ‌Old‌ ‌Bond‌ ‌Street‌ ‌Sandalwood‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Cream‌ ‌
Taylor‌ ‌of‌ ‌Old‌ ‌Bond‌ ‌Street‌ ‌Sandalwood‌ ‌Aftershave

Friday

RazoRock Plague Doctor
Yaqi Red Marble Tuxedo 24mm
Face lather
Rockwell 6C R4
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (4)
Thayer's Lavender and Aloe Vera
RazoRock Plague Doctor splash

A sublime 3 passes today. The Rockwell is an excellent razor. I do enjoy my vintage cutlery; but in terms of contemporary pieces, this and the R41 are outstanding, albeit different, beasts.

The RazoRock soap is a great performer too; rich and slick. It's fragrance isn't overpowering; so it'll marry up with most splashes, I'd argue. That said, it layers well with the matching splash; which enhances the post-shave feel. Stay safe and well, everyone.

03/04/2020
Pre: Shower and Face Scrub
Brush: Razorock 400 Plissoft Syn
Soap: CR Salter Indian Sandalwood LSC
Razor: Blackland Blackbird SB
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Homemade Witch Hazel
Balm: Bart's Balm Bergamot and Vanilla Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 EDC

A nice shave today with the Blackbird, 1st time paired with the Lab Blue (for me), i used a slightly steeper angle than the norm and it worked a treat. It is advertised as being higher on the aggressiveness scale than the Dart, for me though it is no where near as aggressive, yes, it is very efficient but it does not give the impression it is going to bite me, i think the Darts days are numbered, maybe my face / beard type are not suited to it. A shame as i really like the look of it.
2 passes today and a bit buffing for another BBS finish, no dramas just fun.
I am feeling and smelling pretty good after today's effort.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

Last edited:

SOTD 04/03/2020

Welcome to Fatboy Wool Fat Friday as we shelter in place. I've never been a fan of Gillette Adjustables, and today's shave certainly didn't change my opinion. My Gibbs Adjustables provide a much better vintage shave, and there's just no competition at all when the ultimate modern artisan adjustable, the Rex Ambassador, comes into the comparison. A good friend who is a serious collector of Gillettes with a focus on British models, has sold all his Gillette Adjustables. Gillette Adjustables are just very mediocre shavers.

The shave began with a cold water rinse. The Jayaruh Custom #343 generated a nice thick paste that was then applied to all shave surfaces and face and dome lathered into a thick, yogurty, protective lather using plenty of water. The first WTG pass didn't compare to yesterday's ATG first pass, even with the razor wide open. I dialed down to 7 for my second XTG and ended up with a nick on the left side along the jawline and a few weepers on the left side of the dome which required styptic intervention.

The head on the Fatboy is bulky and nowhere near as maneuverable as the slimmer heads on the Gibbs or the Rex. I just don't like this razor. Although I needed a third pass, I quit and settled for a very unsatisfactory CCS. The only bright spot is that tomorrow I'll be shaving with my Gibbs Adjustable.

RAZOR: Gillette Fatboy
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #343
SOAP: Mitchell's Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brushsqueezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum

Pre / Post - Trumpers Sandalwood Skin Food
Cream - Sweyn Forkbeard Vanilla and Tobacco Leaf
Brush - Traditional Shave Co
Razor - Merkur 34G
Blade - Wilkinson (4)

Another decent shave. SFB cream is ok. I like to dip my brush in the cream to load it. With most creams I've used it works well. This cream is a bit gloopy for want of a better word. I have to be careful I don't get too much on my brush as a result. More than enough lather there for 3 passes plus touch up. I don't like to waste any.