10/11/19

Soap - Palmolive Stick
Brush - Omega 80265
Razor - Ball End Tech
Blade - Astra SP (5)
Post - Witch Hazel
Balm - Nivea Replenishing
AS - Akcay Tobacco

I'd recently retired one of the 2 Omega 80265's I own (the other was retired a while back) as for I couldn't get the brush to hold a lather, irrespective of whether it was cleaned with vinegar, soaked, shampoo'd, ritual dance etc. It used to be a brush I really enjoyed using but I'd taken the brush out of my rotation and it put into the cupboard of shame.
On B&B in a thread about soaking boar brushes I came across a post about soaking a boar that no longer holds a lather in distilled water, and thought this particular avenue might be worth an attempt, but instead of using distilled water I used the water from my dehumidifier and soaked the brush for a while, then washed it out with washing liquid and gave it a comb and like some weird black magic for today's shave the brush worked a treat!
Really superb shave as well today, had more than enough lather for the 2.5 passes today and the blade seemed to glide across my face. I forgot how sharp a Astra SP can actually be.

Anyway chaps, I hope you've had an enjoyable weekend so far.

Brilliantly done Iain. I will be picking your brain even further in the next few days.

Excellent shave with a Yaqi Grace Razor I received on a passaround on another board. Razor shave was smooth and moderately efficient. I have it for a few more days. I like the scalloped head and open comb. I'm going to skip a shave tomorrow and see what it's like with a heavier growth of whiskers.

SOTD 11/10/19

RAZOR: Yaqi Grace with scalloped head and open comb
BLADE: Voskhod
PRESHAVE: Cold water rinse followed by scrub w/ PAA's Charcoal-Menthol Preshave Soap
BRUSH: WCS Best Badger
SOAP: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash w/ Mike's Hungarian Lavender followed by Old Spice Fresh Lime AS Splash and finished w/ Pre De Provence AS Balm

Sunday, 10 November 2019 A Floris Day

PreShave: Warm to hot water, most from the boiled kettle some from the tap
Cream: Floris 89
Brush: Kent BK8
Bowl: My recycled T&H cream bowl
Razor: The Sledgehammer (Merkur 39C)
Blade Astra Platinum (1)
Post Shave: Alum

Fragrance: Floris 89

A fine, three-pass shave for a good start to the day. Enjoy what remains of the weekend, and have a great week, folks.

Remembrance Sunday SOTD

I've kindly been sent a Razorock Eco on a forum pass around by @neilwf and have also been sent some Bart's Balms products to trial by the manufacturer, @BartsBalm

Today was my third use of the razor and I continued with the Voskhod blade I used yesterday. The razor isn't the smoothest razor I've ever used and I found my first shave with it (using a Shark blade) to be a little on the rough side. Using the Voskhod has improved this. However, this remains a pretty aggressive razor and it is not one I could use daily.

I used it for a head shave and this is where it's aggressiveness and lack of smoothness was apparent. I ended up with a close, but rather uncomfortable, shave.

I stared the shave by trying some of Bart's aftershave lotion (which consists of Coconut oil, Argan oil, Peppermint essential oil, and Limonene) and found the consistency to be a little too thin to work well as a pre-shave oil.

His beard oil, by comparison is an excellent pre-shave oil and is up there with the best on the market).

Following the shave I used Bart's Peppermint balm on my face and the aftershave lotion on my head. The balm is another excellent product and the aftershave lotion worked really well on my head. I tried using the aftershave lotion on my face yesterday and it felt a bit too oily for my liking so I opted for the balm instead.

All in all, it was a pretty good shave and it was great to have the opportunity to try out these products on what is a very poignant day which bought back a number of memories.

One of these memories was that of my first ever wet shave as a 17 year old, which was performed whilst on exercise, using normal soap, a bic disposable razor, cold water in a mess tin and the wing mirror of a Land Rover.

‘They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them'.