SOTD: Saturday 3 February - Friday 9 February 2024.

It is after all a Friday. Somewhere in amongst it all I have created some kind of tradition where I have to say, 'As my final entry for this past week of SOTD's', I am very pleased to present you with the shave themed'...... 'Rotterdam and rottern dams'

Perhaps the biggest sin being I have only made one SOTD this week so far and here I am trying to dupe you all in to believing I have made some kind of an effort everyday. Which I haven't.

I lie a lot

20240208_203833.jpg

Over in Rotterdam at the moment visiting my brother-in-law at his place. Very nice apartment but the tight arsed chap appears to be very short on plugs. Hence my makeshift mobile petit sink.

That dam razor - Tatara Nodachi
Dutch courage - Wizamet Super Iridium
Dutch cap - AP Shaving 24mm Cashmere
Dutch cheese - Signature Valentia
Dam Dutch - Collegen

A very welcome shave after two days of travelling and a stay in London and despite the restrictions of being plugless, wonderfully delivered.

Happy

A Friday did I say? Ah, Finally the Weekend. That wonderful album by those Puffyshoes girls and why not have a song from it....

Have a great one you fantastic forum folk and just don't forget, I love you all

SOTD Fri 9 Feb 2024

Bit of a boar, shave (also known as - make mine a half)
E3E92B49-1FC0-4F83-87A9-F0AFE80948CE.jpeg
Prep - shower
Bowl - glass
Soap - MWF (new formula)
Brush - Semogue Excelsior 1305 boar
Razor - King C Gillette
Blade - Gillette 7 o’clock Sharp Edge (yellow)(1)
Post - lather remains face wash, cold rinse, alum block
Splash - Sierran Breeze ASL
Balm - Nivea Replenishing ASB
Fragrance - Mastermind EDT

That was better. Mind I’m not saying I got a great lather, no yoghurt here I’m afraid, but it was decent and didn’t dissipate before I had time to use it. In fact I’m not sure if it dissipated at all, as I initially didn’t allow for the amount the brush would take for it’s own (greedy little piggy). But nowhere near as thick and creamy as the lather I can get with some of the creams I have used recently. Enough for a nice shave though and nice face feel after. This soap and the Kent one have different smells, nothing wrong with that and they are both nice, it just came as a surprise. I’ll try again on Sunday, perhaps face lather with the boar (which is really nice) although I’m beginning to wonder if our very hard water is the main culprit in my non rich lather, but everything else lathers like crazy! Confused I am!
Nice soap, brush and blade (thank you @McShaver )
Nice razor (thank you me )

Nothing to do with shaving -
Out walking dog through nearby park this morning (during a tempest!) Much of the path was flooded but I’m wearing leather walking boots so ok for uptoo a couple of inches of water and she’s a dog who although not liking water, like a child, loves to run through fresh snow, crunchy leaves and puddles. However one puddle turned out to be a bit deeper than she expected. It was a bit like that scene from ‘the Vicar of Dibley’ when Dawn French steps into a deep puddle. Not as bad as that, but went from just over her paws to under her chin in a couple of steps. All I could see was her head, a length of black fur and a very vertical tail, like a snorkel! She came out the other side, had a good shake and took off for home, dragging me after! After a good towelling she spent most of the rest of the day stretched out in front of a radiator. She’s not really an outdoor dog!
7A523EC1-E935-41B4-8E60-E16A4B80391E.jpeg
You dry now?
Yes thanks.
Fully recovered?
No!

Really glad the boar suits you @Rip my flesh - the 1305 is a lovely brush and I really should not have moved mine on. Yeah, new piggies can be greedy! I'm sure you'll find your groove in time. Perhaps load a lot more than you think you need to? Triple-milled can take a good pounding, even with a boar.

Funnily enough, regarding the hard water, some years ago I tested classic MWF with the softest and the hardest water that we had between us on the forum. I actually found that hard water was beneficial for the classic MWF which can foam up initially if you use a bit too much water. I don't actually think water hardness makes much difference nowadays as there's chemicals in there to compensate ... and you do say that everything else lathers fine. Yeah, try a longer loading time.

Oh, yeah ... see: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...wool-fat-water-sensitive-answer-inside.35452/ < that was classic MWF. The new formulation is completely different and doesn't suffer any of these foibles.

Really glad the boar suits you @Rip my flesh - the 1305 is a lovely brush and I really should not have moved mine on. Yeah, new piggies can be greedy! I'm sure you'll find your groove in time. Perhaps load a lot more than you think you need to? Triple-milled can take a good pounding, even with a boar.

Funnily enough, regarding the hard water, some years ago I tested classic MWF with the softest and the hardest water that we had between us on the forum. I actually found that hard water was beneficial for the classic MWF which can foam up initially if you use a bit too much water. I don't actually think water hardness makes much difference nowadays as there's chemicals in there to compensate ... and you do say that everything else lathers fine. Yeah, try a longer loading time.

Oh, yeah ... see: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...wool-fat-water-sensitive-answer-inside.35452/ < that was classic MWF. The new formulation is completely different and doesn't suffer any of these foibles.

I will definitely give that a try on Sunday, thanks very much for the info!

Glad to hear it went a bit better for you tonight.
Like pjgh says REALLY load the soap and do a couple of palm lathers with it to break the boar brush in a bit.

Taking the after face feel (nice and almost moisturised) into account and the fact it still feels good hours later I think it was a lot better, but thanks, I will take your advice on board for Sunday's shave!
Still learning, still learning!

IMG_4341.jpeg
SOTD: 09/02/2024

Razor: PAA The Original Phoenix DOC Safety Razor | NICKEL Plated Double Open Comb
Blade: Feather Super Pro, 2nd use
Brush: ZENITH Unbleached bristle chrome handle 2000 C XSE
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Goodfellas Smile Chronos Puck
Balm: Bart's Balm BEN KILBRECK Balm
Fragrance: Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man EdP

SOTD: 11th February 2024.

j.jpg
Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Bulldog Vetiver & Black Pepper Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Cien PURE Fragrance Free Sensitive Bar Soap.
Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget.
Face Lather.
Lather: Vie-Long Shave Stick.
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated Lab Blue. (D2)
Razor: Merkur 37C.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With Care+Witch Hazel./Nivea Men Fresh Moisturising Gel./Milton Lloyd Essentials No 19 EdP.

Greetings,

A wonderful performance from the Omega 11047/Vie-Long Shave Stick duo.

An enjoyable 2 pass + pick-ups close comfortable BBS shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a few small squirts of Milton Lloyd Essentials No 19 EdP to the pulse points.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe and enjoy your Sunday ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom