SOTD : Saturday 27th June - Friday 03th July 2020

This evening I tried out another cream: LEA Menotolada...
  • Pre-shave Glyce soap wash
  • LEA menthol shave cream, bowl lathered
  • Cadman custom ‘Bell' 26mm knot, dual band, 'Finest Badger' brush.
  • DE89 with Nacet blade on Razorock Titanium
  • Cold rinse and Green Blok alum rub
  • Final cold rinse and dry
  • Cella AS
  • Trumpers Skin Food balm
  • Ach Brito Lavanda cologne
20200630_205813.jpg

I really liked this cream. Nice, light and refreshing menthol and just two passes with a used blade. If I was looking for a low cost shave setup, a tube of this stuff would definitely be on my list.

Have a great evening all.(y)

Regarding the Shark Super Stainless ...

Well, that was lovely!

Thanks again to Chris @Boycie83 for sending me a pack of these Shark blades. My principal interest in these initially was for the ROCNEL SE-P as I saw them available as half blades and I think my query has been answered: yes, I'll bag a little box of 100 for single edge use. If I fire up the ROCNEL SE-P in the meantime, I'll split one of these blades for a quick go.

When describing a blade we often drop straight into sharpness and smoothness, and perhaps post-shave feel. I like to consider the essence of the blade. So, for me, the Treet Platinum is consistent; the Treet Black Beauty, retro; Derby, legacy. What's this blade, then?

Comfortable and forgiving.

I'm a pusher. I inevitably end up using too much pressure and often find myself vocally suggesting to myself that I back off a little. Often we get just a little warning, or worse, a little bite when we press too hard. With this Shark, I could be quite lazy. It shaved well, comfortably and didn't feel the need to bite me when I paid it no heed.

But where does it stand amongst its peers?

Well, I think it's akin to SuperMax Blue Diamond or Treet Silver (which is actually a carbon blade, but more treated (treeted?) than the DuraSharp to feel much more like a Stainless). In fact, next shave I'll use a Blue Diamond to compare on roll straight on into a EuroMax after that, which is reputed to be SuperMax under a new brand. The Shark is a real middle of the road blade. It shaves, it shaves well. It's not especially sharp and not noticeably smooth, but it is ... a nice middle of the road blade.

Again, lovely! I really enjoyed this shave in my benchmark Gillette Tech (a late model, 1980s perhaps) and tomorrow, I'll try it in something a little more aggresive: a brassy 1940s flat bottom Gillette Tech; then, a 1930s Gillette New.

Whoa! That was fun!

Second shave with this Shark Stainless run in a 1940s Gillette Tech, a flat bottom example with the plating removed down to the brass with the same software: LEA shaving stick (grated) and a Cashmere knotted Asylum Brush Works Scanlon handle.

Comfortable and forgiving, I said after the first run out yesterday in a late model Gillette Tech.

Primitive, I'd say today ...

Maybe the slick coating has worn off. It felt much sharper today, more focussed and more keen. It was still a comfortable shave (no tugging or skipping) but it was primitive. I'm not quite sure how else to say that; the blade felt ... well, not raw, but not luxurious; kinda like driving without power steering, you feel everything and everything feels right. Loads of feedback from the blade. Today, it suddenly came alive! Yesterday was a caged tiger, today it was on the prowl. Whether that is characteristic of the second shave or the change in razor I don't know, but I will certainly be using this brand of blade again (and buying some in).

Really enjoyed that ...

In many ways, it put me in mind of a Treet DuraSharp. If the Treet DuraSharp is a carbon blade pretending to be stainless, the Shark Super Stainless is a stainless pretending to be carbon.

Let's see what it's like in a Gillette New with an open comb. Tomorrow.

30/06/20

Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Kai Captain / Schick Proline (1)
Brush: Alpha Outlaw V2 G4
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
Pre: Proraso White
ASL: Alcolado Glacial
ASB: Proraso Blue

IMG_20200630_200102-01~2.jpeg

I'm very fortunate to have a General V2 in my hand courtesy of the fine @Satanfriendly who has loaned this to me.

The shave started off very tight and I thought maybe the Kai that Chris had kindly provided with the razor may have lost its edge during transit. I swapped out out for a Proline but the tugging continued for the next two passes. I double checked my lather and all was fine there so I'll need to work on my angles more on the next shave.

Used Alcolado Glacial for the first time tonight. What a sleeper - I initially thought it wasn't doing anything when suddenly a shard of ice emerged in front of me and proceeded to bitch slap me until I was left wondering what day it is. Looking forward to mixing this with the Vigaroso.

30/06/20
Used Alcolado Glacial for the first time tonight. What a sleeper - I initially thought it wasn't doing anything when suddenly a shard of ice emerged in front of me and proceeded to bitch slap me until I was left wondering what day it is. Looking forward to mixing this with the Vigaroso.
LOL...as a major fan of old all things menthol/eucalyptus/camphor etc, I always keep two post-shave staples in the den: Alcolado Glacial and Osage Rub. I don't use them usually if I'm going to be driving or in company, or near naked flames...but after a late evening shower and shave, there's nothing finer, especially in very hot weather or when I have a blocked nose. I use them to sooth headaches, overcome hay-fever attacks, heat rash, the sweats...I don't know whether they should be in the shave kit or the medicine cabinet, but I do know they are superb!(y):p:cool:

My first shave for nearly three weeks after contracting COVID-19:-

SMN cream
AP Shave Co Synbad
Timeless .68 OC dimpled handle
Astra SS #1
Argan Oil

A terrific feeling to remove my horrid beard that to me was a release from the suffering of three weeks of illness. It took three passes to remove the abomination after which reappeared the man I am.

SMN cream
AP Shave Co Synbad
Astra SS #1
Argan Oil

A terrific feeling to remove my horrid beard that to me was a release from the suffering of three weeks of illness. It took three passes to remove the abomination after which reappeared the man I am.

Good to hear that your on the road to recovery (y)

SMN cream
AP Shave Co Synbad
Astra SS #1
Argan Oil

Sorry to hear you were ill but good to see you back and healthy!

First time using this 40s Super Speed NSC '50. I am very impressed :)

20200701-065130.jpg

Razor : 40s Super Speed '50 NDC
Blade : Gillette Platinum (1)
Shaving brush : Shea moisture pure badger
Shaving cream : Pascale Menthol
AS : Бриз свежесть​

SMN cream
AP Shave Co Synbad
Astra SS #1
Argan Oil

So happy to hear you are on the road to recovery. Keep getting better

Back
Top Bottom