SOTD : Saturday 27th April - Friday 3th May

So, SWMBO expressed her liking of the Freshwood AS last night and again when I applied some for scent this morning. Looks like a permanent member of the rotation now!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
SWMBO has excellent taste.;).. The 'Boots Freshwood duo' have been firm favourite's of mine since i started traditional wet shaving..The ASB is superb.

SOTD 20190427.

cUChtvs.jpg

J&T® apple / Cashmere.
Ariana&Evans "Tertius" shaving soap.
Vintage 7 O'Clock NEW / Stork "Taipan" handle.
Trig Silver Edge (4).
Loris "So Oud" EdP.

Saturday morning

OSP Grapefruit and Menthol
RazoRock Plissoft 24mm synth
Face lather
Gillette Fat Handle Tech 1938-41
Gillette Silver Blue
Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Fine Fresh Vetiver
Guerlain Vetiver EdT

A first today: a complete cold water shave; following on from posts by @Palmolive fox and others who have advocated it. Well, I'm a convert. Great result all round.

59004C13-F316-40FD-8404-15539598DB09.jpeg

27 April

P&B Spitfire
Omega 11137
Feather AS-D1
Feather Hi-stainless
Proraso green asl

View attachment 43245
The well loaded Omega brush held more than enough soap for two passes, and the Feather razor took just two for a clean, smooth shave. Perfect (nearly).

In general.....how do you find the AS-D1?

In a moment of madness a some time back I bought one at the same time as a 2nd generation Ikon OC. I enjoyed the Ikon so much and heard so many opinions about the mildness of the Feather.....I never used it and it is still sitting in the original wooden box. Now that I enjoy mild//efficient razors more than ever.......I am tempted to give it a go.

The verdict?..Absolutely superb!..After watching a great youtube demo from 'Fuzzy Shaves' I really like Fuzzy's approach to traditional wet shaving giving 'straight to the point' no-nonsence superb practical advice, i also like his humour too.:LOL:
Fuzzy's the administrator over at TOST. There's loads of SE goodness over there.

And for the start of this new shaving week my chosen theme was 'My familiar and other animals'

20190426_181332.jpg

Roger the dog - Ikon B SB
Dr. Theodore Stephanides - Polsilver Lodz
Spiro Hakiaopulos - Razorock 24mm Plissoft
Widdle and Puke - Gentlemen's Tonic
Old Plop - Nivea for men moisturiser

Gerald Durrell's 'My family and other animals' was one of the books which I had to study for my O'level English literature. Unfortunately I was never much of a reader outside of 'Whizzer and Chips' and a few other similar select publications of the era. I finally failed my exam after managing to answer all 8 questions on the paper, despite it stating 'answer 5 out of the 8'. Which further went to prove my reading takes some consideration and secondly why I had problems writing exam essays on books I'd never read. Not much has changed and who is this Shakespeare chap anyway?

Anyhow more to shaving matters. Today's shave was more about familiarity after a long night at work. I really couldn't be bothered with too much complication and yearned for that 'feel good' shave factor. The Ikon does exactly that for me.

Quite the polar opposite in use to the One blade (as @GordyC recently found out) and yet every bit the equal on delivery. The difference being one is mundane and the other is fun and rewarding. The OB manages to deliver a wonderful shave with little or no chance of blood being drawn whereas the Ikon would be perfectly at home taking chunks of skin from ones face and sending you to A&E. Treat with respect though and the finest close shave razor I have found to date. Bleeding just happens to be a prerequisite.

Familiar to me? Yes. Used with respect? As always

The blade to be honest is the only DE blade I use outside of the occasional Feather or Kai, so again familiarity rules.

Always a great fall back cream, Gentlemen's Tonic produces one brilliant lather and again ticks my familiar box.

In consideration I don't use any other brush the Razorock is about as familiar as it gets. And the great thing is the black version works exactly the same as the natural aluminium finished brush. As in it works efficiently and works wonderfully.

End result was that familiar superb shave with that familiar dolphin's bottom smooth feeling. I am being a bit presumptuous here and assuming dolphins have smooth bottoms as apparently baby's do. Judging by my granddaughter diapers I don't really wish to find out.

I wish you all a most wonderful week ahead and the most smoothen shaven faces on the planet. Enjoy one and all

Last edited:
In general.....how do you find the AS-D1?

In a moment of madness a some time back I bought one at the same time as a 2nd generation Ikon OC. I enjoyed the Ikon so much and heard so many opinions about the mildness of the Feather.....I never used it and it is still sitting in the original wooden box. Now that I enjoy mild//efficient razors more than ever.......I am tempted to give it a go.
Give it a go, if you like mild and efficient you could love it. Mine works really well with a Feather blade, although I have read that it doesn't work at all for some men. If you have a good one, you'll have a new friend, and if not, nothing lost, it goes back into the box.

My Saturday Shave

And a really TSR inspired one

View attachment 43243

Preshave: Vitos Menthol
Cream: Extro Freddo - Thanks for the recommendation @Rohleder
Razor: Schick Krona - I loved the TSR loan one so much I bought one on TSR :)
Blade: Polsilver kindly sent to me by @Blademonkey the first one I tried I wasn't sure but this one was super smooth :)
AS: Floid Menthol as recommended by @Paul L when I first joined and said I like menthol

Would that be the Polsilver Lodz? Sr Blademonkey sent me a sample and I have never looked back.

27/4/19

Soap - Arko
Brush - Zenith B07
Razor - Gillette Aluminium Tech
Blade - Gillette India WS (1)
Post - Witch Hazel
Balm - Nivea Cooling
AS - Eyup Sabri Lemon

The India GWS isn't the sharpest blade but smooth enough, seemed to work well with the aluminium Tech but it's not a blade and razor combination I'm likely to go for again, I prefer sharper blades in milder razors. The results were decent enough.

Not the best lather though, I've really struggled with the Zenith B07, great face feel but it seems to eat lather.

Saturday AM 2019-04-27

Moss Anniversary Slate scuttle
Rooney 1/3 Ivory Finest (26/55)
Yardley Black Label shaving soap (tallow)
Delta Echo Feather AS-D2 (Ink Edition)/UFO U2V1 Brass
Gillette Platinum Plus (2)
Armani Acqua di Giò aftershave
Floris Moss Rose EdT

A good birthday shave, although the Gillette blade is not as smooth as the Personna 74s and Light Brigades. With a nice rose smell, I'm off for a ferry ride, I hope with some sunshine.
5lCHDDC.jpg

Saturday AM 2019-04-27

Floris Moss Rose EdT

A good birthday shave, although the Gillette blade is not as smooth as the Personna 74s and Light Brigades. With a nice rose smell, I'm off for a ferry ride, I hope with some sunshine.
5lCHDDC.jpg

Many happy returns

Saturday AM 2019-04-27

Floris Moss Rose EdT

5lCHDDC.jpg
Happy Birthday..Hope you had a wonderful day. :)

Back
Top Bottom