SotD: Saturday 26th April - Friday 2nd May

Bic Metal
Nivea gel
No7 balm

The gel isn't up to much. I have to soak my face and use a very judicious amount of gel so as to produce enough glide; otherwise I end up with thick, viscous, razor-clogging goop. That said, the above have elicited reasonable shaves this weekend.

Nice shave with the Graves ( thanks to Rob) and the bay rum soap from the wickham soap company ( cheers Darron ) splash of Tabac

A wee overnighter at my folks so I used the following:

EJ DE89L, Personna Barber
Simpsons Colonel, Simpsons Large Travel Tube
Ingrams
AA Bay Citrus EdT
Home-made Post Shave Oil

Forgot to bring aftershave so used the EdT. A bit stingy but not near as bad as I expected and it actually did quite a good job. It was a good, clean and smooth shave so that kept the burn down anyway and my PSO finished things off nicely. Now I have the DE3D, the DE89L will become my designated travel razor - just need to make a nice wee leather case for it. Forgot just how good a brush the Colonel is! Enjoyed the Ingrams as always but back to the Wickham Super Smooth tomorrow. :D

Sunday, April 27th, 2014

Sunday, April 27th, 2014

164215d1398603297-sun-april-27th-sat-may-03rd-sotd-28042014.jpg

Mastro Livi "The Last" New Grind, 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point

• Pre-shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Badger Brush 63167
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "The Last" New Grind, 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Razorguy Bay Rum

Saturday

Weber & Rapira
NSS Vanilla (yummy)
Simpsons Duke 3 Best
Speick ASL
With these ingredients it's impossible not to have a great shave!

Sunday

Le Toja soap
Shavecraft 101 & a Polsilver
Simpsons Duke 3 Best
Kramperts Bay Rum

The La Toja soap is a great performer but the scent is very meh. The razor is a bit too mild but a great looker and if I have time for 4 passes I still get a very close shave. The Duke 3 is probably the only brush one ever really needs - it's such a great all-rounder.

It just gets colder!​
Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave - sensitive
Soap: Stirling Black Ice
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Razor: ATT R1 Kronos
Blade: Ladas SS (1)
After: Aqua Velva Blue Ice AS, Every Man Jack ASB

I used this Stirling's Black Ice (Anise & menthol) once when I first got it and decided it was so mentholy that it could only be used in summer. So today, being a bit warm, I thought I'd give it another go. Lather is excellent as usual with Stirling and the anise gives an interesting licorice scent. Initially the menthol is cool and innocent but with each pass the power increases exponentially. By the end of the shave I'd lost most of the feeling in the lower part of my face. I must have got some in my ear-holes as they were numb too!
The biggest hit came from the cold water rinse off. Wow, that was like jumping head first into a frozen lake - crashing through the ice then the experience of freezing water.
I think the weather's going to have to be a lot warmer before I try this one again!

Anyway, continuing the cool mint theme I finished off the Aqua Velva blue and Every Man Jack ASB (this would go nicely with Wickham's Garden Mint).

First time using a Lada blade, very impressed, gave an easy BBS with no irritation. I'll have to get some more when my blade quantities have reduced somewhat - maybe a few years.

Happy Sunday, everyone.

SOTD20140427_zps697c0e3a.jpg

Sunday 04-27-14. MUSIC: King Crimson - Red.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeMgyzzeQZU[/video]

5f97ab31-dcb4-4449-9363-584633a2d694_zpsf3906c59.jpg

Aleppo soap - Rodney Neep Extra Silvertip 26X50 - Feather all stainless - Iridium Super #3 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream vintage Proraso with lanolin - Alum block - Thayers Cucumber Toner - ASB Proraso - ASL Myrsol Fórmula K.

Sunday 27th April

SOTD27414_zps73cabb55.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Dapper Dragon Jasmine & Vanilla scuttle lathered
Finest Badger brush made by myself
Gillette 1928 New Improved gold
Sputnik (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lemon witch hazel
Myrsol Antesol aftershave

A fine shave. The first outing for Dapper Dragon soap, very easy to make a lather, the lather lasted easily throughout the shave and was dense and slick. The scent was lovely and strong enough without being overpowering.

Sunday 27th April 2014

Prep: Shower, Nivea Deep Cleanse Face Wash
Pre: Proraso Sensitive pre shave cream
Brush: Edwin Jagger pure badger
Soap: Wickham's Super Soft Bay rum
Razor: Merkur 34c HD
Blade: Crystal Super platinum
Post: Alum, Cold water rinse, Gucci Envy aftershave lotion

SOTD 27/04/2014 by Bpmjames, on Flickr

Last and final shave with Digress pass around. Now I would never shave the next day after receiving a BBS shave, but I thought sod it (even though I know I would be in for a world of red/soreness).

Prep: Village Barber Balm
Brush: Kent BK8
Razor: Digress (1)
Cream: Dr Harris - Windsor
Splash: Dr Harris - Windsor

WOW! BBS one tiny nick, buttery smooth and no irritation. I'm frankly shocked, I've not even achieved this with my much loved Weber. My thoughts are that this is a very versatile razor, and potentially the only razor you would need. It's definitely something for my acquisition list. As much as it could be the only razor you need, it won't be, it feels like a work horse, but there's no excitement in it as I know it will perform, but I just love my UFO handles and variety too much,
[attachment=10331]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398609942.910756.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398609942.910756.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 22
Prep: Cold Water Splash
Razor: English NEW Goodwill on UFO Kaiser Short handle
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush Gecko Stumpy Walnut 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Menthol
Aftershave: Proraso Menthol

Cold Water Splash
Palmolive Soap (grated, bowl lathered)
Vulfix Grosvenor reknotted w/ TGN 2-band badger
Weber PH Bulldog
Sputnik (1)
Weleda ASB

Palmolive may not have the most exciting scent in the world, but it sure whips up a good lather!

Back
Top Bottom