SOTD : Saturday 25th August - Friday 31st August 2018

Sunday AM 2018-08-26

Moss Anniversary Slate scuttle
Rooney 1/3 Ebony Finest (26/52)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving soap (tallow)
Delta Echo Feather AS-D2/Triad Blue Aristocrat Titanium
Wilkinson Light Brigade (9)
St. James Perfumery London Collection aftershave (vintage)

The Blenheim Bouquet gets nowhere near the fame that English Fern does. But the lather this vintage soap makes is every bit as good as that of its more renowned sibling.
vcYjuVZ.jpg

Sunday 26th August 2018
SOTD.jpg

Pre shave: Warm shower and L'Oreal face wash
Razor: Ever-Ready Streamline
Blade: GEM SS PTFE coated (#3)
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Baskerville
Brush: Simpsons X3 Commodore Best
Bowl: Korium
Post shave: Alum block, cold water splash and Thayer's Cucumber witch hazel
AS: L'Occitane Cade balm
EDT: Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather

First shave with my newly acquired Ever-Ready Streamline, heeding the advice from @Blackmass and using a very light touch I got an excellent 2 pass shave.

And my chosen theme for this particularly grey day was 'The Battle of Caramel Castle

20180826_152240.jpg

I was even more surprised to find my chosen theme is the title of a book. And I thought I was being original :oops:

The General - General Colonial
The Captain - Captain Kai
The Lieutenant - Lt Chypre OSP
The Regiment - The 3rd Muhle Butterscotch
Post Battle Major - Lord L'Occitane of Cade

Today was all about my further adventures in to the field of SE razors and my first run out for the Colonial General. After being utterly bowled over by the performance of the Hawk V2 I took the plunge and went for a Conial General being as so many gave its praise.

I recall my biggest whine over the Hawk was its flimsy nature and lightweight appeal, but I did forgive it for the end delivery of one pretty damn fine shave. The Colonial on the other hand is about getting the heavy artillery in where the light brigade failed. I do dislike matt SS and the General gives me reason to gripe here. I consider it more gunmetal in appearance which is very appropiate to my theme. A bit surprised to find a slight bit of play between the plates and the handle but once clamped up the fit does appear to close up nicely. The blade being even across the pointy end. Looking all rank and file.

What really gets to me about SE's is their sheer effiency. They are all about 'bigger and better'. I could quite happily call it a day (or a SOTD) at this point and sod any more passes. But curiosity got the better and another two confirmed it feels just as good on all directions. East and West, North and South, South West and North East and North by East half East. It covers the compass nicely and manages it all with more of that ruthlessly efficient stuff.

A brilliant piece of kit and a very welcome addition to my facial tool box.

Synthetic Muhle in a very nice butterscotch finish. Nice.

It is also the first outing for Lt Chypre OSP. A sweet orange and Bergomot flavoured cream which like every other OSP scent has a wonderful aromatic sense of bewilderment about it. Not quite as 'semi croapy' as their other offering I have tried and more grungy than Nirvana but as always I am not let down by the lather it produces and a first class product with top drawer results.

Lord L'Occitane was delighted with the way his men had performed and gave his soothing blessing to one and all.

Having just had one of those baby's posterior shaves and feeling smoother than the caramel in a Tunnock's wafer I can declare the battle was won. The reward for the battled weary men was a very tasty bar of the finest Scottish chocolate to be found on an Aldi shelf.

In despatches it was noted all was free of any irritating blemishes or aggrievement.

Last edited:
Sunday 26th August

Pears Glycerine Soap
Vitos Preshave Cream
Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Omega 011829 Boar Brush
Yintal Bronze Razor with a Nacet Blade
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aloe Vera Gel
Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods AS

I found a single pack of Nacets in my box of blades and decided to try them. Very impressive! Very smooth and sharp. In my opinion very similar to 7 O'Clock Yellows.
Three passes for a perfect shave and 10 hr on........no sign of stubble :)

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Two-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch (Tallow)
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (14)
Scent: APR Ozymandias EdP

No doubt who the star of the show was today - the debut shave with the SV brush. I chose the Haslinger Schafmilch soap as it is a consistently excellent performer and a soap I know well. First impressions of the brush were very favourable indeed. It is listed as a 26mm knot, but it demolishes soap as fast as any brush in my den, and that includes a 30mm Rudy Vey Shavemac. This took me by surprise, and I overloaded by a country mile, and ended up face lathering to get the water balance back in order. The brush is a delight to use - it splays with just the right amount of resistance, and has truly amazing lather flow-through. The tips are soft, and the feel of the brush in my hand was excellent. As I had not performed any test-lathers or other prep, there was a little residual gaminess in the bristles, but this is my no means a bad thing, and will be gone after a couple more lathers.
Three passes and a few buffs for a BBS result. The Vintage Personna blade keeps on keeping on :D.
A shout-out to @Blackmass - Rob - you weren't wrong, Son!

Last edited:
And my chosen theme for this particularly grey day was 'The Battle of Caramel Castle

View attachment 37911

I was even more surprised to find my chosen theme is the title of a book. And I thought I was being original :oops:

The General - General Colonial
The Captain - Captain Kai
The Lieutenant - Lt Chypre OSP
The Regiment - The 3rd Muhle Butterscotch
Post Battle Major - Lord L'Occitane of Cade

Today was all about my further adventures in to the field of SE razors and my first run out for the Colonial General. After being utterly bowled over by the performance of the Hawk V2 I took the plunge and went for a Conial General being as so many gave its praise.

I recall my biggest whine over the Hawk was its flimsy nature and lightweight appeal, but I did forgive it for the end delivery of one pretty damn fine shave. The Colonial on the other hand is about getting the heavy artillery in where the light brigade failed. I do dislike matt SS and the General gives me reason to gripe here. I consider it more gunmetal in appearance which is very appropiate to my theme. A bit surprised to find a slight bit of play between the plates and the handle but once clamped up the fit does appear to close up nicely. The blade being even across the pointy end. Looking all rank and file.

What really gets to me about SE's is their sheer effiency. They are all about 'bigger and better'. I could quite happily call it a day (or a SOTD) at this point and sod any more passes. But curiosity got the better and another two confirmed it feels just as good on all directions. East and West, North and South, South West and North East and North by East half East. It covers the compass nicely and manages it all with more of that ruthlessly efficient stuff.

A brilliant piece of kit and a very welcome addition to my facial tool box.

Synthetic Muhle in a very nice butterscotch finish. Nice.

It is also the first outing for Lt Chypre OSP. A sweet orange and Bergomot flavoured cream which like every other OSP scent has a wonderful aromatic sense of bewilderment about it. Not quite as 'semi croapy' as their other offering I have tried and more grungy than Nirvana but as always I am not let down by the lather it produces and a first class product with top drawer results.

Lord L'Occitane was delighted with the way his men had performed and gave his soothing blessing to one and all.

Having just had one of those baby's posterior shaves and feeling smoother than the caramel in a Tunnock's wafer I can declare the battle was won. The reward for the battled weary men was a very tasty bar of the finest Scottish chocolate to be found on an Aldi shelf.

In despatches it was noted all was free of any irritating blemishes or aggrievement.

Damn you i now want a Tunnock's Wafer :D

Last edited:

No doubt who the star of the show was today - the debut shave with the SV brush. I chose the Haslinger Schafmilch soap as it is a consistently excellent performer and a soap I know well. First impressions of the brush were very favourable indeed. It is listed as a 26mm knot, but it demolishes soap as fast as any brush in my den, and that includes a 30mm Rudy Vey Shavemac. This took me by surprise, and I overloaded by a country mile, and ended up face lathering to get the water balance back in order. The brush is a delight to use - it splays with just the right amount of resistance, and has truly amazing lather flow-through. The tips are soft, and the feel of the brush in my hand was excellent. As I had not performed any test-lathers or other prep, there was a little residual gaminess in the bristles, but this is my no means a bad thing, and will be gone after a couple more lathers.
Three passes and a few buffs for a BBS result. The Vintage Personna blade keeps on keeping on :D.

Great to hear it lived up to my hype. So pleased you're happy with it.:)

One damn beautiful brush and one of those reasons I would love to get to terms with natural brushes

Sunday 26th August PM

ddb8e108a17146558a8c809b36fee8bb.jpg

Prep: Warm rinse followed by Nivea Sensitive Face Wash then Proraso Pre Shave cream Eucalyptus and Menthol
Cream: The Executive Shaving Company's Natural
Brush: Executive Shaving Medium Jock synthetic
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Rapira (1)
Post: Cold rinse, Thayers Witch Hazel with Cucumber, Brut aftershave then Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol balm.

A short return to my current learning curve with my trusty Merkur 34c. I used a Rapira blade kindly gifted to me by @Digimonkey.

My usual prep and another use of ES natural cream. This stuff looks so good straight out the tub with a shiny pearl colour. The scent is refreshing but not over powering. Using a damp brush, it takes a little added water to form a lovely creamy texture. Applying the lather is simple and using the ES brush effortlessly for a few minutes has my bristles ready for the slaughter.

A 3 pass shave with pick ups and I'm BBS again. The Rapira blade performed well and feels similar to a Feather. I could certainly feel it working against my skin.

After a splash of Thayers I followed with Brut aftershave. A pleasant burn followed by a rub of Proraso. Really fresh and clean.

No redness. No burn. I caught the nick on my chin again (the one I've had for 2 nights now! [emoji30]) however it didn't give me any grief.

Have a great nights folks! [emoji482]

26.08.2018 - I shave in the evening and pictures tend to be kind of shitty due to artificial light, unfortunately

Simpsons Duke 3 Manchurian - I have 10 synthetics and only this badger, however it seems I enjoy this fellow quite a lot :)
Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia - great smell with good performance
Rockwell 6S on #4 with Astra blade - quite a good BBS, I only got one nick but that was because I was day dreaming
Myrsol Metilsol Astringent (thought it works well with the nick) - it surpassed my expectations, very smooth and relaxing on the face

Back
Top Bottom