SOTD : Saturday 23th - Friday 29 th March 2019

Da Vinci 293
Gillette Slim Adjustable on 9
BIC Chrome Platinum #5
Barrister & Mann Vesper (Excelsior base) Sample
Myrsol Formula K Sample
The British Grooming Co. beard balm as hair pomade
Jacques Bogart's One Man Show EdT

The Excelsior base by B&M is really outstanding. It is as easy to lather as the Glissant base and at least as good as the Reserve base, if not better.

Regarding the Slim Adjustable, I think this is just a great razor and it's too bad, that it's quite everywhere underrated. On the setting 9 it delivers a very efficient and at the same time mild shave.

And kudos to the BIC blade, it seems to last very well. I had the fifth shave today and it performed like on the first two shaves. Highly recommendable.

Bogart's One Man Show is simply the BOSS among the today's modern and feminine fragrances for "men", which are primarily sweet.

Last edited:
Wednesday 27th March 2019 PM

Pre-shave:- Warm rinse / Proraso Red pre-shave cream
Brush:- Stirling Soap Co. Finest Badger
Soap/Cream:- Arko soap
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Fatboy F1 / Gillette 7 o'clock green Super Stainless
Post-shave:- Thayers Cucumber / Floid Vigoroso aftershave / Bart's Balm Cinnamon and Patchouli aftershave lotion / Bart's Balm Cinnamon and Patchouli balm

3a296362c0c2061a798c3956cece049c.jpg

How the hell can such an old razor shave so well? It defies the law of physics, Captain!

I was looking through my den and the Fatboy seemed to start shouting and jumping up and down in the corner. It's one of those razors that as soon as you pick it up you know you've got to use it. I also had an unopened stick of Arko which was kindly gifted to me by a mate at work so that was getting a run out.

As soon as I opened the Arko the scent took me straight into my barber shop. If I'm honest, I don't like having to rub it into my stubble as it felt quite dry and uncomfortable. I kept dipping it in water but it was just horrible. I even rubbed some of it onto the bottom of my shave bowl but it didn't lather that well in there. As soon as the wet brush hit my face it was a different story. Lather fest!

The scent was great and it provided good protection and slickness. I'll probably grate the stick down and press it into a bowl for future use.

I went ahead with a 3 pass shave. Starting on setting 6 for my first 2 passes then down to setting 2 for my final ATG pass.

The result was a good close shave with no irritation or weepers. Just a BBS face.

Slapping on the Floid gave the fresh sting that tells me it's been a good shave. Bart's aftershave and balm finished things off nicely.

Have a great night folks! [emoji1303]

Oyi4Q9u.jpg

Prep: DR Harris Shampoo bar, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Lea stick
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Super Iridium (Polish) (1)
Scent: DR Harris Arlington

Mine site Donga shave. Despite using an easy-lathering soap, I found it hard to get the lather right for this shave. This often happens when traveling and particularly at mine site camps. The potable water can be variable - sometimes super pure, and other times a wee bit on the hard side.
The Polish Super Iridium is not the most forgiving blade, and with the lather not being ideal, I suffered a nick on the chin, and some irritation on the jowls. Three passes and a very close shave.
The Alt Innsbruck proves a terrific post shave salve and brought a smile back to my face - it refreshed and soothed my face beautifully.

Da Vinci 293
Gillette Slim Adjustable on 9
BIC Chrome Platinum #5
Barrister & Mann Vesper (Excelsior base) Sample
Myrsol Formula K Sample
The British Grooming Co. beard balm as hair pomade
Jacques Bogart's One Man Show EdT

The Excelsior base by B&M is really outstanding. It is as easy to lather as the Glissant base and at least as good as the Reserve base, if not better.

Regarding the Slim Adjustable, I think this is just a great razor and it's too bad, that it's quite everywhere underrated. On the setting 9 it delivers a very efficient and at the same time mild shave.

And kudos to the BIC blade, it seems to last very well. I had the fifth shave today and it performed like on the first two shaves. Highly recommendable.

Bogart's One Man Show is simply the BOSS among the today's modern and feminine fragrances for "men", which are primarily sweet.
+1 on the Slim Adjustable...an amazing razor.

Scheermonnik Soek – a soap well worth trying. Review and SOTD 27th March 2019

Ladies & Gents,

Today I used a soap I have had for a while and never used – too scared that I would not like it. I originally bought three of the Scheermonnik range, Soek, Delftes Donderslag and Delfts Wit. I have used all of them except the Soek. Today was the day. The fragrance notes on the Scheermonnik website state:

“A blend of myrrh and orange with middle notes of ginger, cinnamon and cloves. It is then rounded out with caraway seed and vanilla to give it a warm, soothing feeling. This scent is a fine balance of spice, warmth and sweetness.”

I think it was the cinnamon that kept putting me off using it as I am not a fan of the scent or flavour of cinnamon in large amounts – it can tend to be overpowering. Think shopping mall and the cloying smell of a Cinnabbon baking shop – tooooo much.

So while I bloomed the soap, it is a little hard to use without a little bloom water on top for a few minutes, I readied my other shave gear. Here is the line up
  1. Razor: Gillette Tech. with Feather blade on shave #1
  2. Bowl: Van Yulay Black Resin 5″ Bowl
  3. Brush: Alpha T-400 in two tone red/silver with a long boar knot
img_0162.jpeg

I soaked the brush for 5 minutes in a nice bowl of plain tap water then I was ready to start. A new lathering technique today from mantic59 – HERE Look at the results!!

img_0176.jpeg

Lathering was easy and before long I was looking like Santa Claus – the soap was a super latherer and a super slick result. As you can see I has such a massive load of cream it was easily enough for 6 passes or more, of course I only did a three pass. Uneventful shave but that fragrance – I get the Orange and myrrh and a nice clove hit but the cinnamon is a background note only. It was lovey and I can only describe the smell as that of a nice spiced bun (think Hot Cross Bun)

Note: Scheermonnik soaps were on the verge of being lost to shave-world as the original guy was shuttering production. This would have been awful as they are top class soaps and top class fragrances. Luckily he handed his soaps and business to a new owner who has not only continued to supply the original 4 frags but also introduced a scentless soap called “Puur” with no perfume. Perfect for those of us with allergies or sensitive skin.

I need to complete my collection by buying a 1778 beau Brummell and a Puur. if you have not got a Scheermonnik in your den – buy one now. You won't regret it.

SOTD : 28th March 2019.

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Hot shower:/ L'OREAL ~ Hydra Power Mountain Water Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Transparent Soap.

Brush: Wilkinson Sword Pure Bristle.

Face Lather.

Soap: Wilkinson Sword Soap Bowl + 6 Drops of Glycerin.

Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack. (4)

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic.

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Cold Water Rinse. Homemade Menthol Crystals +Eucalyptus peppermint,+ Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel Mixture./ Old Spice ~ Swagger ASL.

Wilko ~ Men's Aftershave Balm.

Greetings,

A near Wilkinson Sword themed shave...I started my weekend SOTD using the W.S. shave stick, and finsihing off today with the W.S. soap bowl which is a very in-expensive soap,but i've found by adding the additional drops of glycerin when mixing from the soap bowl give's a noticeable protective slickness to the lather.

Throughout the week the indian made gillette w.s. saloon pack blade has performed superbly, 'it just goes to show you don't have to buy really expensive shaving products to get a good shave, that said though, it's down to personal preference what people like, buy & use, it also make me appreciate my more expensive shaving products within my humble shaving arsenal.

A comfortable 3 pass + pick ups DFS with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous dollop of Wilko ~ Men's Aftershave Balm.

My face is feeling smooth & smelling devine.;)
;)

Enjoy your day, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:
:cool:

Last edited:
Date: 28 March 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Proraso Professional (Omega) Boar 28/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell R4 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #12
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss Intense

3 more days to go for the whole month of Mitchell's March Wool Fat shave

28 March

P&B Spitfire
Simpson M7 Manchurian
Ikon B1 OSS
Feather Hi-Stainless
Fine L'Orange Noir
Terre d'Hermes

Fabulously smooth shave this morning with a new Feather in the new Ikon. Lovely lather from the Phoenix and Beau soap, the M7 always delivers. The Ikon OSS definitely shaves like a Feather AS-D1, smooth and close, without drama. The two different sides of the razor, although feeling a little different on the skin, do not impact on the quality of the shave. Overall, a good razor...for me.

Back
Top Bottom