Blade: GSB (1)
Brush: Alpha Outlaw V2 G4
Soap: DR Harris Lavender
Pre: Proraso Blue
ASL: L'Oréal Ice Impact
ASB: Proraso Blue
Scent: None

IMG_20200423_192016.jpg

There's no denying it - this razor is ugly! Combined with a Tupperware container, this SOTD photo was never going to win any beauty awards. I've had the SBS a year and it's remained unused. It's on the list of things to use, like so much in my den. I've also rearranged the den and found a few forgotten samples and this cake of DRH Lavender.

I used the OC side (4 dot) for this shave and it was very nice. I'm not normally a fan of OC razors but this was very easy to shave with. Comfortably completed 3 passes for a DFS finish. The Lavender was a nice scent before bed.

And this particular shave came complete with the theme 'Pond life'

IMG_20200422_215529.jpg

Razor back monkey frog - Long handled brass Hone
Stickleback - Feather
Marginal pond (B)rushes - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo in pretentious carbon
Algae in a tub - Tiki 'Go West' *

* Tiki. The first man created by TÅ«matauenga. He found the first woman, Marikoriko, in a pond; she seduced him and he became the father of Hine-kau-ataata.

I am not quite sure I buy this one. Relationships tend not to begin with aquatic ladies lying in ponds offering sex to some bloke who just happens to be passing by. My wife may have found me lying in a puddle at some point in my life but sadly I don't think it was the basis of a sound accord.

Tiki on this ocassion happened to be a soap lying at the back of a cupboard and did involve the requirement of water. A weird scent with a hint of dry leather about it, but attractive in a strange way. A little like watery maidens found in ponds. Very easy to whip up in to a quality lather with the Cad and with all those qualities one looks for in a good soap. Stays the distance and the scent has a lovely lingering air about it. If leather be your forte.

The Hone continues to be a bludgeoning tool with a deft ability to shift face fluff with amazing agility and efficiency. Together with the two generals it really has to be the smoothest of razors I have ever owned. Think this is a fifth outing for the Feather which by their standards of longevity puts it in the pensionable bracket.

With the soap giving a sterling performance and the Hone doing what it is good at this was altogether a Smashing smooth shave.

All I needed was my lady of the lake and so I wished and I wished and I got a whole host of them. Happy smooth days

Tip top chaps

Usual sign off with some ladies who are equally as nice dry as they are hanging around ponds

Be safe and healthy all

Last edited:
I had my third DE safety razor shave today.

For those who don't know, I shave my noggin and the sides of my face where there's not much beard growth, and grow a Van Dyke beard.

This shave has been the most irritation free and also the first with no nicks or cuts whatsoever. The main cause of this is that I decided not to shave against the grain but instead went only with the grain and across the grain. On the previous attempts - as well as when using my old Gillette cartridge razors - I would go with the grain first and then against.

I also think that the brief redness that happened after shaving is actually a skin reaction that I'm having to Nivea Post-shave Balm. The redness only appears after applying the balm and it appears in fairly bright red blotches, in a new place each time, and then goes away again after a few minutes to a few hours. I think I need a different aftershave balm.

I already apply alum after shaving, so maybe I don't need an astringent one with witch hazel or anything? Only a soothing one.

Razor: Muehle R220
Blade: Muehle blade that came with the razor
Unscented goat's milk hybrid soap/cream courtesy of BrianH, aka Signature soaps
Nivea post-shave balm

Well done for your perseverance

Friday‌ ‌04.24.20‌ ‌SOTD‌

DSCF0010 - Edited.jpg

Gillette ‘51 W2 gold Aristocrat Set
Personna‌ ‌Platinum‌ ‌Chrome‌ ‌Israeli‌ ‌Red‌
Frank Shaving 2 Band Finest Badger Extra Long Handle
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber Shaving Soap
Chiseled‌ ‌Face‌ ‌Ghost‌ ‌Town‌ ‌Barber‌ ‌Aftershave‌ ‌Splash‌

DSCF0011 - Edited.jpg

Thursday 23rd April -St George's Day Shave

Soap - WSP Spring Rain
Brush - YaqI Chianti 24mm Synthetic
Razor - Merkur Progress 500 #2.5
Blade - Gillette Platinum (2)
Post - Dunhill Fresh ASL

Not a aad shave, although I find the Gillette Platinum blade not as well suited to the Progress as a Silver Blue
Spring Rain Soap is perfect for this time of year, with it's lemon scent.

St George's Day is my wife's birthday, and we spent the day together
We had planned an overnight stay in London, with afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason, but alas, it was not to be
An M&S Tapas Lunch, and take-away curry from our favourite Indian restaurant was the best we could manage in the present circumstance.

Good health and best wishes to you all

Date:- 29 April 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Soapmakers of Awesometown
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Ball End Tech (0.56mm) 1946-50 / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #9
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Tipple:- Makers 46

Back
Top Bottom