SOTD : Saturday 16th January to Friday 22nd January 2021.

Friday's Shave

Pre: Argan Oil Soap
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Thomas Tew
Razor: Gillette Aristocrate Delux 1956 (Or though i am sure it is a 46)
Blade: Gillette Black
Brush: 28mm Boti with Maestro Knot
Splash: Hega Upsala
Balm: Bart's Unscented
EDT: Chanel Pour Monsieur

Lots of New things today , a new brush it would be easier with this one to measure the brush bump as I reckon there is more Glue than free bristle, good job I bought it for the Handle :) .

The Aristocrat I have had for a little while but never used and the soap was kind gift from a friend on the forum.

View attachment 63635
A stunning looking brush!

Paul.

Fri 22nd January

RR 400 SE. Plissoft noir
Officina Artigiana
Occams Hiram Commander 2dot
Schick Proline ( 9 )
Officina Artigiana A/S Lotion

Just finished a 10 Shave sequence with The Hiram, the last 9 being on the current blade which feels good for more. However, I plan to do a sequence with an Oren. I may in future try the Hiram again on a 3dot plate,

10340624-8FCF-4224-9ED4-3C242D7ED1DB.jpeg

Friday's Shave

Pre: Argan Oil Soap
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Thomas Tew
Razor: Gillette Aristocrate Delux 1956 (Or though i am sure it is a 46)
Blade: Gillette Black
Brush: 28mm Boti with Maestro Knot
Splash: Hega Upsala
Balm: Bart's Unscented
EDT: Chanel Pour Monsieur

Lots of New things today , a new brush it would be easier with this one to measure the brush bump as I reckon there is more Glue than free bristle, good job I bought it for the Handle :) .

The Aristocrat I have had for a little while but never used and the soap was kind gift from a friend on the forum.

View attachment 63635
Mate - I hate to be the one to break the bad news to you. I think there is something wrong with your razor.It appears that it has two edges - what's that about? ;) - I.

Good day chaps and for today's wonderful shaving adventure I have themed this SOTD 'Janet and John go shaving'

IMG_20210121_201238.jpg

'Look Jane, I am learning how to shave!' said John - Stainless Mongoose
'I am learning fundamental quantum mechanics'. said Jane - Feather Super Professional
'Look Jane I am shaving myself!' said John - Yaqi Dandelion
'I am debasing myself' said Jane - Murdock's Avalon
'That is nice. Can I watch?' said John - Extro Arancia splash
'No'

graphic-ladybird-book.jpg

A quick flick back to my early 'learning to read' days which achieved naff all for me later in life, or my earlier days when I come to think about it. I guess that is what being a 'junk culturist' does for you. Rips up the pages of Shakespeare's plays, 'Janet and John' books and replaces them with Viz and Razzle.

Lovely to be back home and to have the use of the Mongoose once again. It sets very high standards and may be my bench mark SE razor. The Zen? may be, may be not and has me flicking between it and the Colonial V2 as to which sits at the top of the God tree. But wherever it sits it performed as per usual and delivered a Godly shave with an immaculate finish.

A rare day out for the Avalon as I am too conscientious that one day it might be the last time I ever use this wonderful product. If someone has a jar lying around I would be happy to take it off your hands. Otherwise one day I might just have to surrender to their present range in the hope they are every bit the equal. The scent is stunning (The Cologne likewise but disappears too quickly to lever a purchase out of me) and the qualities up there in the same God tree as the mongoose. Throw in the cheap and brilliant Dandelion and just impossible to go wrong.

A superb shave which puts dolphins and babies bottoms to shame

'I have had a very good shave today Jane' said John
'That makes your day nice' said Jane
'Did you have a nice one Jane?' said John
'That's getting a bit fucking personal isn't it John!?' said Jane
'Oh....okay' said John

And Jane carried John's impertinence with her for the rest of her life

Have a smashing weekend fellow shaving folk and may everyone be well and safe. Families, friends and all

And as a great start to the weekend have some lovely Japanese ladies to see you in

22/1/21

Soap - Signature Soaps Coria
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow Faux Horse
Razor - Yaqi Katana
Blade - Supermax Super Platinum (2)
Post - Eyup Sabri Lemon

I had a great shave with the same razor and blade yesterday, and I was very impressed with the results of the 2 pass shave which seemed to last quite a good duration, but the regrowth today was incredibly itchy; one of those shaves when I couldn't wait to get the stubble off my face! Another shave with the Katana, and I was very impressed with it, produced a very good result today just after the 1 pass.

A great lather with the SS Coria, the scent profile of it is just truly delightful, it took the tiniest amount to whip a huge amount of lather in my bowl.

Friday AM 2021-01-22
National Celebrate Life Day
AGXxllT.jpg

Rooney 1/3 Ivory Finest (26/55)
Ethos Grooming Dragonsbeard V2 soft shaving soap
Carbon Mokume-gane Brass/R2
Polsilver Super Iridium (12)
Ethos Grooming Dragonsbeard V2 aftershave

Another wonderful shave, despite the blade just beginning to drag a bit. New blade tomorrow. But Ethos First Lather helped.
GwQLStT.jpg

Prep- none apart from warm water to face. Totally discumbobulated shambles of a day supervising the young one who is at home (protecting the fossil parents from a premature visit from covid19 ) doing school work interspersed by telephone calls to and from the school to ask why the passwords for online school work dont work.School helped -very thankful.
Pre shave - Proraso red
Razor - Rockwell 6s plate R5 - I couldn't be bothered being careful- needn't have worried because the blade is held so securely in the head of the razor.
Brush- Semogue HD Badger
Blade GSB #2
Shaving cream - Proraso Aloe vera - pea size blob - most of it dropped by accident into basin ,captured before it totally dissolved.
ASB - Proraso
Moisturiser- Keihls Facial Fuel.
2 pass shave WTG and XTG. Anyway, a good comfortable shave.

22/1/21

Soap - Signature Soaps Coria
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow Faux Horse
Razor - Yaqi Katana
Blade - Supermax Super Platinum (2)
Post - Eyup Sabri Lemon

I had a great shave with the same razor and blade yesterday, and I was very impressed with the results of the 2 pass shave which seemed to last quite a good duration, but the regrowth today was incredibly itchy; one of those shaves when I couldn't wait to get the stubble off my face! Another shave with the Katana, and I was very impressed with it, produced a very good result today just after the 1 pass.

A great lather with the SS Coria, the scent profile of it is just truly delightful, it took the tiniest amount to whip a huge amount of lather in my bowl.
Thank, as always

Friday 22nd January

Soap - Ach Brito Mogno
Brush - YaqI Purple Haze Mew Brown
Razor - DS Cosmetics T7
Blade - PolSilver Wizamet Stainless (3)
Post - Deliplus N Locio'n Aftershave

While I like the smoothness of the T7 razor, it's not overly efficient, resulting in more pick ups.
Quality lather as usual from Mogno soap.
Finished with N Locio'n Aftershave - good value at €2.20 for 200ml.

Friday 22nd January

ACtC-3fv6HBdYQZwq1iub8-ULXhpkbpTDKY28E8E8suNxbB6mzbcwn5lUJyLSXUIhaJeKe8MpujACuq21hpiUdnb6A6khdz3NHxtPxLAio57svFLMuqtTw-chFBESY1onN6rFPfUepAD5XE6LbEh0HsUVBwX5g=w1200

Wash with French Pink Clay & Charcoal face soap
Lather up with Wilkinson Sword shaving stick (grated) & Semogue SOC Butterscotch (Boar) AKA Rutger
Single pass shave with Muhle Rocca R95 & SuperMax Super Platinum (1)
Hot rinse, cold rinse, alum wash & Pinaud Special Reserve aftershave​

Delightful!

I've been curious about the SuperMax line again having really enjoyed their now discontinued Blue Diamond Titanium when I first came to traditional shaving. I tried some of the new Blue Diamond Platinums and have to say, I didn't really like 'em. With a little research I found that the old(er) Super Platinum is well regarded ... and for good reason: they make for a cracking shave!

I've also been getting a distinct impression that I don't actually like Platinum blades, so what gives? Well, it transpires that there are a good number of 'Platinum' blades which are using the word in the literary sense and not the actual. My favourite blade, the Treet Platinum is one such (not actually Platinum) and this SuperMax is another, yet the SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum is indeed a Platinum blade. This nugget was noted from a post over on B&B where an analysis was made of a good number of blades and platinum did not ping on quite a few blades marked as Platinum.

super-max-super-platinum-730x555.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom