Friday afternoon

Cyril R. Salter Tallow
EJ Best Badger
Steve Woodhead Ceramics Bowl
Gillette Aristocrat 1947
Gillette 7 o' Clock Yellow
Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Speick After Shave

Despite being a dedicated face latherer, I thought I'd dust off my shaving bowl for a use (been tidying out the den, you see). The EJ hasn't been used for a while too. It certainly lacks the backbone of my boars and my preferred synths. However, it did work very well in the bowl; with a drop or two of water bringing out a rich, slick lather. I'd use this brush for face painting, rather than face lathering.

The two stars of the show were the soap and the Aristocrat. I can't believe the quality of Salter's soap for the price. Great stuff, with a fine performance and post-shave feel.

The Aristocrat was a rare find a couple of years ago. Advertised as a Fat Boy on the bay, I bid £10 for it. My one and only win on EBay. It is a cracking razor and its only cosmetic fault, apart from a bit brassing, is a missing end cap; which in no way detracts from the quality of the shave.

Friday 22nd March
Burma Shave Boar - Burma Shave Soap - Star 1912 - Gem SSC #1 - Alum - Superdrug Sierran Breeze A/S - Dove Nourishing Cream
XYbZ1U4.jpg

My understanding is, there were two versions of the Star 1912. The U.S. version, and this one, which is British made for the French market.
I have a similar one, which I seem to remember being sent from France. Needs a shim, to stop the blade shifting, mine does.

That's fantastic. Two questions - how old is that soap, and you're name's not Tom Waits by any chance?

Friday 22nd March
Burma Shave Boar - Burma Shave Soap - Star 1912 - Gem SSC #1 - Alum - Superdrug Sierran Breeze A/S - Dove Nourishing Cream
XYbZ1U4.jpg

My understanding is, there were two versions of the Star 1912. The U.S. version, and this one, which is British made for the French market.

Well let's carry on the run of Merkur shall we? Today's choice was the 39C the often neglected cousin of the 37C in my rotation. Loaded up with a fresh Merkur Super Platinum and I must admit, I honestly can't remember the last time I loaded up one of these blades but I am glad I did. The blade was sharp and smooth and in this slant, a great pick.

Soap of the day was Stirling Executive Man followed up with the matching AS. A buddy and I have been jawing recently on the merits of “cologne” based shaving soaps and how close they are to their inspiration and this one is pretty close to Creed Aventus at least as far as my nose. Sure there are better ones out there but for the dollar this does it for me. Performance is as a Stirling soap should be and is, exceptional.

Lovely 2 pass shave and just off BBS but it's Friday and that is good enough for me! Topped it off with Gucci Pour Homme EDT. Happy weekend and shaves to all!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade: Merkur Super Platinum
Brush: Rocky Mountain Barber Company - Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Lotion
Lather: Stirling Executive Man
Aftershave: Stirling Executive Man
Additional Care:
Gucci Pour Homme
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block

https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/5c9503b65eadbb05ac0e73d542179

The theme for today's shave was 'BST'

View attachment 42171

@Paul L and @rowlers and @fly3k - Any old iron - Ikon SB on an Ikon handle
Scrap metal - Kai blade
@Dansco 's - used soap emporium - Tiki
@Steve Bowles - Used brush shop - Muhle synthetic in a cute butterscotch finish

So today's shave was all about gear bought from the BST section. A wonderful place here on TSR where you can go and drool over items for sale and then part with your money.

The razor choice for today was actually a mish mash of parts from three different sales/swaps with the base, the top cap and the handle from three separate deals. End product? An Ikon razor. Not even a Frankenrazor and thanks to a recent swap it even has a silver base as the previous black item was rather letting the side down. It also happens to possibly be my favourite razor and a shave with this beast typically ensures a clean smooth face one day later. Love it.

The blade is the only new item for this particular shave but I would draw the line at using a secondhand used blade.

The brush I have had for some time now and at one point was my daily 'reach for', that was until I discovered the Razorock 400. In comparison this one is a little hairy fairy and I find the size of the handle unsubstantial. The 400 allows one to really get to grips with it all whereas the Muhle tends to slip and slide its way to the end purpose. A nice brush, but it doesn't quite attain the dizzy heights of the Razorock. It does come in a nice butterscotch finish though. To this sense it does win on the pretty stakes.

I never thought I'd see the day where I bought a used (in this case only very little used) slab of shaving soap. But shit, I am glad I did. What a soap. I know the seller mentioned the scent was far too strong for him but in my case I can quite happily live with strong. Even Mrs Satanfriendly made a nice passing comment on its aroma. Other than that it just happens to be a wonderful soap to pass blade through.

At the end of this BST gear was one wonderfully smooth shave with a very smooth (and secondhand used) face. This was a shave to be proud of and one I can walk away from feeling very BST

BST? - Buy Sell Trade?

Nope

BST? - Brilliantly Shaven Today

I wish you all equally as pleasurable shaves and may your day be very free of facial fluff.

What an excellent post! Glad you're enjoying the soap - it really is a beauty that I was gutted to struggle wit because of sensitive skin.

Superb ;)

The theme for this evening was dedicated to Limp Bizkit and Rollin'

Rolling Royce - Rolls Razor
Rolling Stone - Colonial General as a back up and buffer
Rolling Stock - Kai Captain
Rolling Brushes - Razorock 400 Plissoft
Rolling Motion - ADP Shaving soap
Rolling Around - ADP Colonial Club

The puck of Floris soap was added to the photo because it looked nice and after John Lewis were doing a special offer of the stuff recently we seem to have a puck at every sink, bath and bucket in the house.

When I first bought the Rolls razor from a charity shop someone on here mentioned it was 'fun to use'. Uh? If having a hoot consists of throwing a rather large and very sharp blade on the end of an unsubstantial handle in the general direction of ones face then I think you are a very sick puppy. This blade is what remains of a failed exercise in making a guillotine for rodents. What the safety bar is for I have no idea as it doesn't remove the fact this is one scary piece of shaving kit. And I am not sure it makes the whole thing any safer. The only thing worthy of a giggle is the totally inadequate handle. On a scale of 1 to 10 in aggressive terms my Ikon SB would be a mere 3 and this thing would happily be on the 11 side of the scale.

The big but.

At first I was rather perplexed by the Rolls, but if there was so called fun to be had then I was going to find it. Firstly I must say thanks to @Fergiebilly 'advise on the wedge thread which was most appreciated at the start of this shave. My first attempt of a shaving stroke was a pointless exercise as nothing happened being as my angle was way off, but a little jiggle later and bugger me, this thing actually works. As one would expect a razor to do I suppose. More importantly it started doing a good job even though I did take a bit of a kid gloves approach.....and remained doing so to the end. I would hate to have things go wrong with this vicious baby. As it is, I got it right and I amazed myself at being able to go 9 to 3 o'clock and XTG to boot. My bravery ran out at going ATG and likewise under the nose as I was unable to pull my nose back to the point where it needed to be flat with my face and in the process develop a new form of nasal torture. More happily I was surprised at the quality of the shave and I am sure with more practice I can nail this sod. And I will.

It did take the General to sort out what was left and altogether one bloody wonderful shave.

The ADP cream I used the other night on an unreported SOTD (how dare I?) and I'd forgot how effing good this stuff is. At what it cost, so it should be and one of the reasons it doesn't see the light of day too often. But I wanted a soap I could depend on in all areas and it performed as expected.

And why not? Matching ADP to top off one very satisfying shave. And one very surprising shave at that. I take back my words, there is some fun in the Rolls. I am going to nail my testicles to a piece of wood tomorrow to see if that is equally as much fun.

Hey, on a more serious note I enjoyed this challenging shave and I take my hat off to this razor and its weirdness. It ain't every day stuff and I doubt anyone would ever dream up similar again but it is quite a nifty bit of kit and a pleasure to have around.

Have a cleanly shaven weekend chaps

The theme for this evening was dedicated to Limp Bizkit and Rollin'

View attachment 42181

View attachment 42182

Rolling Royce - Rolls Razor
Rolling Stone - Colonial General as a back up and buffer
Rolling Stock - Kai Captain
Rolling Brushes - Razorock 400 Plissoft
Rolling Motion - ADP Shaving soap
Rolling Around - ADP Colonial Club

The puck of Floris soap was added to the photo because it looked nice and after John Lewis were doing a special offer of the stuff recently we seem to have a puck at every sink, bath and bucket in the house.

When I first bought the Rolls razor from a charity shop someone on here mentioned it was 'fun to use'. Uh? If having a hoot consists of throwing a rather large and very sharp blade on the end of an unsubstantial handle in the general direction of ones face then I think you are a very sick puppy. This blade is what remains of a failed exercise in making a guillotine for rodents. What the safety bar is for I have no idea as it doesn't remove the fact this is one scary piece of shaving kit. And I am not sure it makes the whole thing any safer. The only thing worthy of a giggle is the totally inadequate handle. On a scale of 1 to 10 in aggressive terms my Ikon SB would be a mere 3 and this thing would happily be on the 11 side of the scale.

The big but.

At first I was rather perplexed by the Rolls, but if there was so called fun to be had then I was going to find it. Firstly I must say thanks to @Fergiebilly 'advise on the wedge thread which was most appreciated at the start of this shave. My first attempt of a shaving stroke was a pointless exercise as nothing happened being as my angle was way off, but a little jiggle later and bugger me, this thing actually works. As one would expect a razor to do I suppose. More importantly it started doing a good job even though I did take a bit of a kid gloves approach.....and remained doing so to the end. I would hate to have things go wrong with this vicious baby. As it is, I got it right and I amazed myself at being able to go 9 to 3 o'clock and XTG to boot. My bravery ran out at going ATG and likewise under the nose as I was unable to pull my nose back to the point where it needed to be flat with my face and in the process develop a new form of nasal torture. More happily I was surprised at the quality of the shave and I am sure with more practice I can nail this sod. And I will.

It did take the General to sort out what was left and altogether one bloody wonderful shave.

The ADP cream I used the other night on an unreported SOTD (how dare I?) and I'd forgot how effing good this stuff is. At what it cost, so it should be and one of the reasons it doesn't see the light of day too often. But I wanted a soap I could depend on in all areas and it performed as expected.

And why not? Matching ADP to top off one very satisfying shave. And one very surprising shave at that. I take back my words, there is some fun in the Rolls. I am going to nail my testicles to a piece of wood tomorrow to see if that is equally as much fun.

Hey, on a more serious note I enjoyed this challenging shave and I take my hat off to this razor and its weirdness. It ain't every day stuff and I doubt anyone would ever dream up similar again but it is quite a nifty bit of kit and a pleasure to have around.

Have a cleanly shaven weekend chaps

Now that is , in my view, the SOTD.
Nice one.

SOTD 21 March 2019

Pre-shave: Warm water bath - epsom salt soak, cold water splash.
Cream: L'Occitane Cade
Brush: Shavemac ' The Flat Top' Slivertip.
Bowl: Giles Shaving Co - Spotty Pedstal Wet Shaving Bowl.
Razor: RBlackland Dart.
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3).
Post: Cold water, OSP Eucalyptus & Menthol aftershave splash, followed by Ibiza Aloe - Aloe Vera Gel and Czech & Speake Vetiver Vert Cologne.

A very late shave today - cold an absolute stinker; worked from home and did not shave until 18:30.

A good 2 pass shave, WTG and XTG face, with WTG and ATG on the neck.

No issues to report - the Dart felt amazing today, more stubble than usual to shave off given the later hour of the shave.

Have a great weekend all,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom