SOTD: Saturday 15th to Friday 21th of 2020

Wednesday 19th February

Pre - Heno De Pravia Soap
Soap - Palmolive
Brush - Shavemac 26mm Synthetic
Razor - RazoRock Game Changer .84-P
Blade - Astra SP (2)
Post - Nivea 2 Phase Aftershave Lotion

I'm off work with a nasty stomach bug (enough info there!)
I haven't shaved since Sunday, and ndeed to freshen up a bit
Palmolive, although it doesn't smell all that nice, does it's job very well. I wouldn't mind experimenting with EO's sometime to make it smell a bit more appealing though
The Shavemac Synth is nice to use, and being 26mm it makes face latherIng a doddle in no time
The Game Changer/Astra SP pairing seems to work quite well
Nivea 2 Phase to finish, and I'm back in the world of the living !

Some Mr Waters for you . . . .

Wed 19th Feb.

Simpson Chubby 1 / Maggards 2band
Williams Mug soap
Personna Super Stainless SE
Personna S/S [ 4 ]
Pitralon Polar A/S Lotion.

Very much a Love or Hate it Razor, took me ages to get a Shave with it but now delivers great Shaves with a Personna blade. Looks like Supply looks some inspiration from its design, but this IMHO is the better Shaver by a long way.

View attachment 51539
Totally agree. Great shaves once dialed in.

DSCF0013 - Edited.jpg

19/2/2020

Soap - Tabac
Brush - Omega S10065
Razor - Yaqi Old Type
Blade - Gillette 7 Black (9)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Eyup Sabri Tobacco

My Omega S10065 usually lives in 'the cupboard of shame', which stores the items I don't really enjoy using that much and I took it out for a rare shave and even though it creates a decent enough lather/releases lather well enough the facial feel isn't the best, I'd describe it to be stiff and prickly! I'd been using my Gillette Old Type for the last few days and used the Yaqi counterpart today which is a touch more efficient but not as smooth.

Have a good day chaps.

73A20294-9837-42DC-A6C4-3FE47D537441.jpeg

SOTD Wednesday, February 19, 2020

There's really not much to say today! The Rex Ambassador is an excellent razor, and will go into the regular rotation. Today's shave was exemplary. I cranked it up to 6 for the face and 4 for the dome initially, but that was clearly too much. My shave settings on this razor are 5 for the face and 3 for the dome. This razor is decently efficient, but does not match up to either the LaResche 51, the Colonial Silversmith or the GE Jones Shake Sharp. All three of the latter get me to the same place in two passes, but frankly, I don't care! I was more than satisfied with my leisurely, bloodless, three pass BBS shave this morning. I did not use any Preshave Soap this morning. There was really no need to. My MWF regime has thoroughly conditioned my shaving surfaces. I feel clean, smooth and very refreshed!

Tomorrow I'll break out the Barbasol Floating Head. We'll see how it goes. That razor is highly efficient, and delivers a very close shave, but has always required an attentive focus on the shave. We'll see how it goes!

RAZOR: Rex Ambassador (5,3)
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood #378
SOAP: Mitchell's Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Murray and Lanman Florida Water AS and Cologne

View attachment 51551

SOTD Wednesday, February 19, 2020

There's really not much to say today! The Rex Ambassador is an excellent razor, and will go into the regular rotation. Today's shave was exemplary. I cranked it up to 6 for the face and 4 for the dome initially, but that was clearly too much. My shave settings on this razor are 5 for the face and 3 for the dome. This razor is decently efficient, but does not match up to either the LaResche 51, the Colonial Silversmith or the GE Jones Shake Sharp. All three of the latter get me to the same place in two passes, but frankly, I don't care! I was more than satisfied with my leisurely, bloodless, three pass BBS shave this morning. I did not use any Preshave Soap this morning. There was really no need to. My MWF regime has thoroughly conditioned my shaving surfaces. I feel clean, smooth and very refreshed!

Tomorrow I'll break out the Barbasol Floating Head. We'll see how it goes. That razor is highly efficient, and delivers a very close shave, but has always required an attentive focus on the shave. We'll see how it goes!

RAZOR: Rex Ambassador (5,3)
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood #378
SOAP: Mitchell's Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Murray and Lanman Florida Water AS and Cologne
Brush looks very similar to what Rod Neep use to produce, hope you enjoy it!

Wednesday AM 2020-02-19

Rooney Beehive Ivory Finest (24/50)
XPEC Original shaving cream (first Forester Milan version)
Wolfman WR1-SB Titanium/UFO Little Titan
Polsilver Super Iridium (11)
Aramis Tuscany aftershave
SvsXPgm.jpg

Sotd-19-2-20.jpg

Sotd - yesterday - Tuesday the 18th of February

Razor - PAL Injectomatic
blade - vintage Schick single (?)
brush - Chubby 1 best
soap - Kent hard tallow (MWF by any other name)
post - witch hazel
a/s - Floid mentally vigorous
balm - BBA.

Result - let the healing process begin. Unusually for Spain - I had trouble sourcing de blades when I arrived last week - the constraints of carry on luggage - thought I would just get some Wilkinson Sword twin blade disposables in the interim - the sort I use on my head without incident - what's the worst that can happen? ¡Joder! What a mess I made of my face. Back to the dark days before I adopted proper shaving - weepers galore - two passes for what barely qualified as a sociably acceptable shave - a rash on my neck - redness on either side of my mouth - it was hideous. My face hurt - I didn't have initially any witch hazel - so had to resort to an alum stick that my partner uses as deodorant. Stopped the blood but my skin hates the stuff. I did find some blades - but the damage was done - in Spanish witch hazel is called hamamelis - should you find yourself in the same situation - you can get it in pharmacies. Let's not dwell on the negatives - the water that comes out the tap in Granada is basically spring water - a significant proportion of the bottled water sold in the country comes from around these parts - I have never seen La Toja soap lather like that - boof - it explodes into life - unfortunately not enough to counter the damage the razor inflicted. Back to the den - everything picked to be nice to my face - a vintage injector - for me - gives the best compromise of a close but mild shave. I'm going to do the same thing again tonight - my face will eventually forgive me. Have good shaves - one and all - cheers - I.

Theme, theme, theme? And the theme was 'Is that really a, really a, really one of those?'

'Oh look girls it is a naked man'
'Oooooo'
'Really? I''ve never seen one of those before'
'Oooooo'
'Is that a willy?'
'Oooooo'
'I think so'
'Oooooo'
'And he is so beautifully shaven'
'Oooooo'
'His face also'
'Oooooo'

IMG_20200219_154202.jpg

Really a razor? - Ikon SB with chrome top plate
Really that isn't a blade is it? - Polsilver Lodz (1)
Really, no way. A brush? - Cadman 30mm Tuxedo
Really, what a cream? - Penhaligon's Bayolea
Really really smelly? - Penhaligon's Bayolea

Oooooo

Bring it on, bring on the beast, bring on the most aggressive version of the Ikon SB I own. I don't know why but this chrome plate is head and shoulders above the other three I own in the fear factor stakes. Throw in a new Polsilver Lodz, snarling and ready to attack.

The Penhaligon soap takes a little more elbow grease than most soaps in the cabinet, but having greasy elbows helps. Use those greasy mitts and make them work the Cadman and voila, one bowl of Heavenly lather. Apply generously to a greasy face and bring it on. Bring in the snarling beast.

As aggressive as I think it is, feed with patience and love and the beast folds at the knees and delivers the most wonderful shaves I could wish for. This is closisity at its best. And yes, I did make that one up. Expect one or two small weepers with a new blade and expectations met. Very minor though and nothing which cries 'Styptic pencil, Styptic pencil!'. A small tingle let's you know this has been seriously close. It has carefully drawn the line between removing hair and removing skin but stays the right side of calling it a shave as against to calling it surgery.

Super

Cold rinse, splash of organic Witch Hazel and a toss of Bayolea after shave followed by an inward 'Eeeeeeeeeek' just to let you know this has been close close close.

Oooooo

In between jobs at work during a bit of gruelling week this has given me reason to smile. Other than that tomorrow is time to go home for 7 days of 'Do nowt' as we would say in my native Yorkshire.

So one exceptionally smooth and incredibly close shave and all with the scent of Penhaligoness. And my wife chastised me with a warning to make a better job of cleaning up after a shave.

And from the band which got me on to this Japanese metal thing

'And what do we do with a naked man girls?'
'Pst Pst and another pst or two'
'No?'
'Oooooooooooooooooooooo'
'And after we've emptied his bank account?'

First I look at the bookshelf.

And then I see if I shave one, two or three passes.

It is more fun to use a Razor for each pass.

The worst is in the end that you have to clean more razors.

Today only the Gillette New Improved gold plated.

Soap: Grand Habana

Brush: YAQI rainbow

Aftershave: Vigorous Massage Floid (Spanish version), the last units are being sold. Soon the only Italian version will be a little softer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom