SOTD Saturday 13th to Friday 19th August 2016

Another late shave today, mainly because I received a Gillette Fat Boy and wanted to clean and sterilise it before I used it for the first time...

It's Fat Boy G1 made in the first quarter of 1961, which ties in nicely with my birth (Jan 1961)...that's what caught my eye about it (also it was cheaper than I expected!).

Not one of the finest examples, and not one of the more sought-after earlier models, but it's in good working condition. The owner had only given it a quick clean so it needed a thorough bath! The cleaning process involved:
  1. Soak in hot water and washing up liquid solution (in an old pickled onion jar) until the water cooled
  2. Thorough brush with a mild toothbrush
  3. Cotton buds used with a coconut oil 'Miracle Polishing Cloth' to get into some of the more hard-to-reach places
  4. Cotton buds used with small blob of T-Cut to attack a particularly stubborn stain on the inside blade section
  5. Rub over with 'Grime Boss' heavy duty handy wipes
  6. Rinse under hot water
  7. Soak in surgical spirit for 2 hours
Note: I only used stuff that wouldn't damage the metal or parts.
It came up quite nice and a little sharper than when it arrived, but I was more concerned with sterilising it than polishing to a gleam...

View attachment 20225

The shave:
  • Glyce pre-wash
  • Myrsol Emulsion pre-shave
  • P&B Denali soap - great stuff!
  • Plissoft brush
  • Fat Boy + new Voskhod blade
  • Coal tar soap post wash
  • Cold water rinse + Alum
  • Fine American Blend AS splash - marvellous scent!
  • Nivea Sensitive balm - didn't want to ruin the AS scent!
View attachment 20224

A good shave. However, I kept having to re-tighten it as I felt that the palm of my hand was loosening the screw at the bottom of the handle...maybe I needed to tighten it more to start with?
I had it set on the least aggressive (1) setting, which worked fine for me, but not as good as my EJ89...that will take some beating.
I'm going to try it again with other blades and settings, but definitely glad I got one:)

Sorry for going on a bit in this post!:rolleyes:
Nice fat boy!

d54efb03a01d04550bf83dad61959787.jpg

Saponificio Varesino never lets me down, awesome stuff today!

Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Soap
Snakes & Ladders B2 Satin
Kai Captain Mild (11)
BSSW 30mm Manchurian Butterscotch Beehive
Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Aftershave Balm

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Greetings

Wednesday 17th August 2016
Prep: Shower
Razor: Heljestrand
Blade: Heljestrand
Brush: Thater 2 Band
Soap: La Toja Stick
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Balm
EDT: Miller Harris Le Fumee

Regards
Dick.

View attachment 20218

What a great looking razor...and your todger...I mean Toja stick...looks good too!

Thanks Blademonkey, but please stop calling me Fat Boy...I'm sensitive about my weight!;):D

I don't think it's in the same league as your own!
I bought mine restored and replated so it was not cheap but yours will give just as good a shave as mine, don't get me wrong , get the work done if that's what you are after but it's not needed, it looks good.
Like I said..nice fat boy!

As promised here's my report.:p

Prep: Hot shower and Nivea face wash.
Pre: King of Shaves oil (Green bottle)
Brush: Razorock Pilssoft 24mm
Soap: Wickham's Citrus Musk (Sample from Shavedash)
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: PolSilver
Aftershave: Fine Platinum
Moisturiser: Nivea Sensitive Hydro Gel

My thoughts and first impression of the ATT:

The ATT was a joy to use and very efficient. Really liked the weight. It made it a lot easier to shave with no pressure.
I used the PolSilver blade for the first time and really liked it.
Again issues with the soap. Not going to go over old ground here.

I had four days growth and the ATT handled it with ease. The finished shave was the closest shave yet, alot closer TBH.

I've been using the Merkur 34c up until now and it has struggled with the first pass at times due to the thickness of my stubble.
The R1 was everything I'd hoped it would be. Efficient and not aggressive at all. No nicks, weepers or irritation.

Really glad I took the advice of everyone on this forum, thank you.

Enjoy the rest of your evening. I'm going to crack open a nice cold beer. :cool:

Another late shave today, mainly because I received a Gillette Fat Boy and wanted to clean and sterilise it before I used it for the first time...

It's Fat Boy G1 made in the first quarter of 1961, which ties in nicely with my birth (Jan 1961)...that's what caught my eye about it (also it was cheaper than I expected!).

Not one of the finest examples, and not one of the more sought-after earlier models, but it's in good working condition. The owner had only given it a quick clean so it needed a thorough bath! The cleaning process involved:
  1. Soak in hot water and washing up liquid solution (in an old pickled onion jar) until the water cooled
  2. Thorough brush with a mild toothbrush
  3. Cotton buds used with a coconut oil 'Miracle Polishing Cloth' to get into some of the more hard-to-reach places
  4. Cotton buds used with small blob of T-Cut to attack a particularly stubborn stain on the inside blade section
  5. Rub over with 'Grime Boss' heavy duty handy wipes
  6. Rinse under hot water
  7. Soak in surgical spirit for 2 hours
Note: I only used stuff that wouldn't damage the metal or parts.
It came up quite nice and a little sharper than when it arrived, but I was more concerned with sterilising it than polishing to a gleam...

View attachment 20225

The shave:
  • Glyce pre-wash
  • Myrsol Emulsion pre-shave
  • P&B Denali soap - great stuff!
  • Plissoft brush
  • Fat Boy + new Voskhod blade
  • Coal tar soap post wash
  • Cold water rinse + Alum
  • Fine American Blend AS splash - marvellous scent!
  • Nivea Sensitive balm - didn't want to ruin the AS scent!
View attachment 20224

A good shave. However, I kept having to re-tighten it as I felt that the palm of my hand was loosening the screw at the bottom of the handle...maybe I needed to tighten it more to start with?
I had it set on the least aggressive (1) setting, which worked fine for me, but not as good as my EJ89...that will take some beating.
I'm going to try it again with other blades and settings, but definitely glad I got one:)

Sorry for going on a bit in this post!:rolleyes:
Great effort with the Fatboy. I've been coveting one for a while. A fine post, too.

As promised here's my report.:p

Prep: Hot shower and Nivea face wash.
Pre: King of Shaves oil (Green bottle)
Brush: Razorock Pilssoft 24mm
Soap: Wickham's Citrus Musk (Sample from Shavedash)
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: PolSilver
Aftershave: Fine Platinum
Moisturiser: Nivea Sensitive Hydro Gel

My thoughts and first impression of the ATT:

The ATT was a joy to use and very efficient. Really liked the weight. It made it a lot easier to shave with no pressure.
I used the PolSilver blade for the first time and really liked it.
Again issues with the soap. Not going to go over old ground here.

I had four days growth and the ATT handled it with ease. The finished shave was the closest shave yet, alot closer TBH.

I've been using the Merkur 34c up until now and it has struggled with the first pass at times due to the thickness of my stubble.
The R1 was everything I'd hoped it would be. Efficient and not aggressive at all. No nicks, weepers or irritation.

Really glad I took the advice of everyone on this forum, thank you.

Enjoy the rest of your evening. I'm going to crack open a nice cold beer. :cool:
Enjoy @Blackmass...what's your thoughts on the Fine Platinum?

Back
Top Bottom