A very comfortable 3 pass shave.

June 17th, 2020

Razor: Star
Blade: Tiger Platinum (3)
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf Synthetic 18mm
Soap: D.R. Harris Almond (stick)
AS: Yves Rocher balm

sotd_17062020.jpg

Following the kind advice of @pjgh I fetched a vintage Star razor. Apparently, these Tech-inspired (or vice-versa) razors shall hold blades very solid.
Well, this particular razor definitely does! Very rigid (feels like one piece), not even a hint of blade chatter. A very interesting experience. Feels very different from a genuine Tech I've tried the other day. This Star is a very mild shaver. No-drama BBS in three passes. It's a keeper, although I prefer more efficient razors these days.
It was also the first run of my new travel brush. Boy, it's tiny! Quite cumbersome to hold. But produces good amounts of quality lather, no problem. The tips are soft, and surprisingly the backbone is there as well.

June 17th, 2020

Razor: Star
Blade: Tiger Platinum (3)
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf Synthetic 18mm
Soap: D.R. Harris Almond (stick)
AS: Yves Rocher balm

View attachment 55848

Following the kind advice of @pjgh I fetched a vintage Star razor. Apparently, these Tech-inspired (or vice-versa) razors shall hold blades very solid.
Well, this particular razor definitely does! Very rigid (feels like one piece), not even a hint of blade chatter. A very interesting experience. Feels very different from a genuine Tech I've tried the other day. This Star is a very mild shaver. No-drama BBS in three passes. It's a keeper, although I prefer more efficient razors these days.
It was also the first run of my new travel brush. Boy, it's tiny! Quite cumbersome to hold. But produces good amounts of quality lather, no problem. The tips are soft, and surprisingly the backbone is there as well.

Yip, I agree with @pjgh, more use with the Star and the angle will click sooner rather than later.
I actually prefer using the Star over the Tech. Just seems to work very slightly better for me.

Prep: Cold water face wash L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive Birch Sap
Soap: Wickhams Club Cola ( one of my favourite scented soaps all ways takes me a little bit longer to shave when i use it :LOL: )
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Aqua HSB
Bowl: Suribachi
Razor: Merkur Progress setting 4+3
Blade: GSB (2)
AS: Turkish Limon
PSB: L'oreal Hydra Sensitive Birch Sap
I'm getting to really like the Progress after 4 shaves it's becoming a firm favourite

Just had my first shave with the Parker 55sl and I have to say, I love this thing. Two passes and a little clean up gave me a very, very close shave…...and no nicks!! I've never felt so smooth after just the first pass!
I had four days of growth (I was avoiding shaving, as I have what I think is in an ingrown hair…)
And it just mowed right through it and I didn't feel a thing! The handle itself is one of the reasons I bought this razor as I've been feeling I need a longer/ heavier handle than the ones I've been using. The length is absolutely perfect for my big, shovel hands and really felt 'right'. I think I'll end up using this handle with my DE89 head too.
But I think this razor could be my new ‘daily driver'...
Very impressed!
I also threw a little of the Amber Fougere on after as more of an EDT and the scent is great!

Ps. Not sure this is the thread for this and it probably isn't... but on the ingrown hair subject….. I basically had what appeared like a normal spot, but with a hair growing out of it…
I couldn't see any sign of a hair growing back into the skin but still, I think this could be an ingrown(although I'm really not sure?…..)
I was trying to avoid it in today's shave but I ended up without realising shaving off the hair in question and the others around it! Didn't feel a thing once again and no blood but just wondering if this sounds like an ingrown or whether I should be shaving over this spot?!

Many thanks again to Boycie! Looking forward to trying the rest of the kit and to many shaves with the Parker!

IMAG1061_1 (1).jpg
Pre- Proraso green
Soap- Executive Shaving Fuar Ach Snog cream
Razor- Parker 55sl
Brush- EJ 21mm synth
Blade- Astra
Post- Alum- -Nivea sensitive - -Goodfellas Amber Fougere

Last edited:
Just had my first shave with the Parker 55sl and I have to say, I love this thing. Two passes and a little clean up gave me a very, very close shave…...and no nicks!! I've never felt so smooth after just the first pass!
I had four days of growth (I was avoiding shaving, as I have what I think is in an ingrown hair…)
And it just mowed right through it and I didn't feel a thing! The handle itself is one of the reasons I bought this razor as I've been feeling I need a longer/ heavier handle than the ones I've been using. The length is absolutely perfect for my big, shovel hands and really felt 'right'. I think I'll end up using this handle with my DE89 head too.
But I think this razor could be my new ‘daily driver'...
Very impressed!
I also threw a little of the Amber Fougere on after as more of an EDT and the scent is great!

Ps. Not sure this is the thread for this and it probably isn't... but on the ingrown hair subject….. I basically had what appeared like a normal spot, but with a hair growing out of it…
I couldn't see any sign of a hair growing back into the skin but still, I think this could be an ingrown(although I'm really not sure?…..)
I was trying to avoid it in today's shave but I ended up without realising shaving off the hair in question and the others around it! Didn't feel a thing once again and no blood but just wondering if this sounds like an ingrown or whether I should be shaving over this spot?!

Many thanks again to Boycie! Looking forward to trying the rest of the kit and to many shaves with the Parker!

View attachment 55852
Pre- Proraso green
Soap- Executive Shaving Fuar Ach Snog cream
Razor- Parker 55sl
Brush- EJ 21mm synth
Blade- Astra
Post- Alum- -Nivea sensitive - -Goodfellas Amber Fougere
I've got the same cream ready for tonight's shave

after the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

EJ89/Super Iridium
vintage rebranded Simpsons best
J. Peterman 1903 shaving cream
no after shave needed
Jacomo de Jacomo vintage juice (90% strength)

The 1903 called to me this morning and once again made me glad about having this option available. Easy to lather with a real classy scent, and way above average performance wise. Bought a few 7 ounce tubs 3-4 months ago on sale, but I have had no problem with paying the regular $28 price. Been using it for over 10 years now. The J. Peterman site has some nice things other than shaving crap, but always best to buy during one of the many sales going on.

BBS results,

Martin

Todays shave, a real pleasant one, nice and slow, easy does it to a dfs finish.

Prep....................Warm shower
Pre.......................Proraso white
Soap...................Pamolive stick
Brush..................Morris and Forndran ebonite (finest)
Razor................. ATT r1
Blade..................Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Asb .....................Nivea sensitive
Asl.......................Hugo Boss

Finished off with hot and cold rinse and alum block, . Totally satisfied with the end result, now to just chill out.:)

Have a nice evening everyone. Stay safe..

Williams Wed-17th June

Vulfix 404-mixed
Williams Mug Soap
Schick E2 -Canada
Schick S/S single-Japan [ 3 ]
Williams Aqua Velva A/S Lotion

Despite the age gap, both the Modern AC/SE and the WW2 issue Injector delivered good quality Shaves. Because of the difference in Blade width I think todays Shave took a little longer. Some dislike that extra width but I rather enjoy the speed at which the Cheeks can be rendered smooth. I did however enjoy the change of pace offered by this Injector, and very good to keep my hand in.

IMG_0806.jpg

Back
Top Bottom