Greetings

Saturday 5th January 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop
Blade: Feather SE
Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
Soap: Speick grated into a container
Aftershave: Floid Balm

First use of the Semogue 620 and all my initial feelings are that it will become (when properly broken) the best face lathering brush in my 'arsenal' for hard soaps, which is precisely what I purchased it for as I rarely bowl lather.

Yesterday I gave it half a dozen palm latherings and dried it with my daughters hairdryer on medium heat only after each one. This has certainly kick started the break in process and many hairs have already split.

Regards
Dick.

DSC03729.JPG

barlines said:

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Kropp 6/8"
New Forest Tubby 1 finest silver tip in Tigris Perla
Proraso White Soap (New Formula)
Witch Hazel
Surrati Black Oud

Waiting patiently for the postman...

What's about to land? Something exciting I hope

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: M&F
Razor: Klas Törnblom full hollow 7/8
Soap: Fitjar Neroli
AS: Old Spice Fresh Lime
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

0191024x677_zps01ec6935.jpg

Saturday 5th January

Hot Shower and facial Scrub
Vitos Pre/Post cream
Dovo 'Olive' 5/8 SS Razor
Semogue 1250 Brush
Nannys Nutmeg Spice Soap
Witch Hazel
Nannys Sandalwood Post Shave Hydration
Mr Kings Marvellous Moustache Wax

Off to work later so I had a relaxing morning shave instead of my usual evening efforts. 3 Pass BBS. I hope the rest of the day is as good as this!

This morning:

Razor: Le Grelot 5/8", in UKRob rosewood scales
Brush: Neep #1287 cobalt blue tulip horsehair
Soap: Pre de Provence
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Yellow Ginger

I do enjoy this mode of hair removal. I don't know why, but I am content that it is so.

jds said:
What's about to land? Something exciting I hope

Wave handle courtesy of Matt - arrived just and some more frags, tho one had leaked :(

Its nice to see the good Dr (Rick) breaking out more of his shaving gear again, that must mean the house renovations are going well or you've finally found the box they were in :)

Gillette Fusion ProGlide (8)
Edwin Jagger Black badger
La Toja soap stick
Simple Rich moisturiser
Penhaligon's English Fern

Getting bored. I note that I need two passes plus touch-up for equivalent closeness to a reasonable DE shave... yet no faster and a spot of irritation on some days. I'm getting better shaves from the ProGlide - after over a year of DE and straight razors - than I was from the Azor and Wilkinson Sword Quattro I used before making the switch. I'll continue with this cartridge until it dulls but I definitely won't be stocking up! It's been an interesting exercise, however, and I quite fancy trialling other system razors now-and-then. I have a Mach3, as well as a Sensor Excel handle with Sensor, Sensor3 and Sensor Excel cartridges in the drawer. I might well have to buy the Wilkinson Sword Hydro system for the sake of comprehensiveness - does anyone know if the 3 & 5 blades are cross-compatible?

I miss my battered, old shaving relics.

Pre Veleiro soap + Dr Harris Arlington shaving cream + Semogue SOC boar + Weber Bulldog Merkur with Croma #4 + 4711 cologne with Proraso balm

An excellent shave with this SOC brush, although it is a bit foam hunger (I need to break it more).

BTW, I think that 4711 cologne is the best partner for Arlington cream (stronger and better scent than after shave version) and a lot cheaper than Harris one. Just adding a few drops to your favourite unscented balm will be enough, hehe

Cheers!

Re: RE: SOTD Sat 5th-Fri 9th Jan

barlines said:
Its nice to see the good Dr (Rick) breaking out more of his shaving gear again, that must mean the house renovations are going well or you've finally found the box they were in :)

All finished, and library (where the razors and brushes will live) fully stocked with my absurd book collection. The brushes and razors are mostly still in two boxes in my bedroom, but I think the dust has settled enough for them to come out this weekend :). The soaps and lotions stuff are all in the bathroom cupboard already.

Saturday

Semogue 2012 LE
Zuri soap
Gillette Aristocrat Jr.
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
Barbershop Bay Rum
LEA Balm

Very smooth results, but not super comfortable. Nicked my chin too... irritating.

Re: RE: SOTD Sat 5th-Fri 9th Jan

Sir_eider said:
BTW, I think that 4711 cologne is the best partner for Arlington cream (stronger and better scent than after shave version) and a lot cheaper than Harris one. Just adding a few drops to your favourite unscented balm will be enough, hehe
I agree. I didn't notice they smelt similar at first but they do enough to partner well.

Geo F Trumpers limes shaving cream
Fatboy gold on 7 with Swordfish
Edwin Jagger boar
Vitos post shave

Excellent

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
Kirby Beard/Iridium
RL Safari SS (old stuff
RL Safari AS Balm (old stuff
RL 'Safari' EdT (old juice)

Better for me than using an open comb, I like the Kirby for the very close shave which reminds of some OC results. I like this razor for other reasons as well. I believe it was made in Poland or somewhere like that.

No screwing around during the shave.......forget about buffing and hooking with this thing. Attention is needed and will be rewarded with a color free squeaky smooth finish.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Kirby out of box.jpg
    Kirby out of box.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom