SOTD: Nanny's "Mantic59 Special" Ice & A Slice

We're going through a heatwave in central Texas: while the UK is buried in snow its about 80F here. The unusual heat is supposed to pass by tomorrow so I thought this would be a good time to try Nanny's "Ice & A Slice" soft soap version that she made for me (unfortunately my skin is sensitive to the clays used in many artisan shaving soaps :cry: ).

Opening the container I mostly got a moderate menthol scent. It lathered easily and quickly using my Crabtree & Evelyn (AKA Edwin Jagger) best badger brush. Fully lathered the lime notes really came out, a pleasing (to me), suprisingly complex scent profile. When I first applied the lather I didn't notice much cooling sensation at first, about on-par with Proraso.

I got an excellent shave using a Merkur Progress and Derby blade. I usually dial the Progress way down when I use a soap/cream for the first time, in case the lubrication isn't what it should be. It quickly became apparent that a low setting wasn't needed here so dialed it up to my normal settings and got a terrific shave!

I finished shaving and started my cold-water rinse. :shock: Wow, there was the ice! :cool: It was actually quite refreshing: cooling but a different kind of cooling than Proraso gives me.

I am very pleased with the performance of this soap and I will probably have it in frequent rotation next summer!

How bout one of these...at least its NOT Gillettes expensive "shave sticks".....<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGnfk-W_jI&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGnfk-W ... re=related</a><!-- m -->

B

I'm particularly pleased that you liked it, because I was the tester for that one and my name would have been mud if you didn't! As with Mikael, Nanny's is one of my benchmarks for open razor shaving: nice to receive such definitive confirmation that it's equally good for DE users.

I'm made up! Mantic, if you're stuck Google translate is useful..... :lol:
I'm so pleased you like the soap, and don't appear to have identified any glaring deficiencies. And eager to hear which of your new goodies you will try next.

So I'ld just like to say thanks to Arrowhead for being the initial guinea pig, to Antdad for setting the buy up, to my parents for always being there for me, to my manager and agent, to my long suffering partner, my daughter and especially my grandson Luke who is so much better at sticking the labels in the middle of the lid than me..........

Exit stage left, weeping but joyful.

soapalchemist said:
I'm made up! Mantic, if you're stuck Google translate is useful..... :lol:
I'm so pleased you like the soap, and don't appear to have identified any glaring deficiencies. And eager to hear which of your new goodies you will try next.

So I'ld just like to say thanks to Arrowhead for being the initial guinea pig, to Antdad for setting the buy up, to my parents for always being there for me, to my manager and agent, to my long suffering partner, my daughter and especially my grandson Luke who is so much better at sticking the labels in the middle of the lid than me..........

Exit stage left, weeping but joyful.

*Appears on stage in silly looking shades*

• I jus' wanna say, I am mammyjammin' happy that Beyoncè din't win dis award neitha!
              • Peace out.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

*Disappears offstage, still in silly looking shades*

Back
Top Bottom