Sorcoress Soaps!

And Sorceress other stuff! Anyone tried any of these shaving soaps?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sorceress-products.co.uk/8/cat_29784-SHAVING-SOAPS-WITH-ESSENTIAL-OILS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sorceress-products.co.uk/8/c ... -OILS.html</a><!-- m -->

I've thought about trying those soaps for a while now, especially the 'triple rose'. Though the consensus on B&B seems to be that they're just cheap melt and pour soap bases with some essential oils added. However, the rose EO's quoted are incredibly expensive, so the cost and the quality are questioned. Several members have been in touch to get some info, and met only reluctance about revealing their manufacturing methods and soap base ingredients. So, I'm very wary and wouldn't risk a purchase.

rich_ant said:
I've thought about trying those soaps for a while now, especially the 'triple rose'. Though the consensus on B&B seems to be that they're just cheap melt and pour soap bases with some essential oils added. However, the rose EO's quoted are incredibly expensive, so the cost and the quality are questioned. Several members have been in touch to get some info, and met only reluctance about revealing their manufacturing methods and soap base ingredients. So, I'm very wary and wouldn't risk a purchase.

The general consensus on B&B, is that if it doesn't cost as much as Penhaligons then its bound to be shite... :roll:

Give it a shot, you might find a great soap.

Then post your thoughts on it and if its good il get some as well... :lol:

RB73 said:
rich_ant said:

The general consensus on B&B, is that if it doesn't cost as much as Penhaligons then its bound to be shite... :roll:

I've found quite a few of the soaps they patronise to be shite so nothing new there. TBH they also find new Pen's soap to be shite too so everything seems to be soapy shite.

I think good Rose EO is incredibly expensive which may account for that hike in cost. I'd just avoid any home soaper claiming to be a sorceress, or alchemist unless they've been through the ringer with Henk. You just know there is going to be too much Patchouli.

Gents,

I purchased these soaps about a year ago and they are absolutely useless, smell great but don't lather for toffee, and the lather I did get burnt my face, have a very high FO content I'd say.

The soaps I purchased where the citrus burst and the aloe and sea buckthorne, the citrus one smelt wonderful but wouldnt lather and ended up as a bath soap,the aloe and sea buckthorne lathered but had very little scent and the lather was the same as if you try to lather a bath soap. all in all not a good soap.

An excellent soap that I did find from the bay though and have contiued to purchase regularly are ScentsfromHeaven, these are glycerine melt and pour, but you can choose your scents and these are made using essential oils, I always get excellent shaves from them and no irritation, I'd say a UK Mama Bears.

Thanks Turk. I just had a look at the "Scents from Heaven" site. I do see though that their soaps have Sodium Laurates in the composition, which not everyone will want. Appreciate the feedback on the Sorceress soaps.

JohnnyO.

JohnnyO said:
Thanks Turk. I just had a look at the "Scents from Heaven" site. I do see though that their soaps have Sodium Laurates in the composition, which not everyone will want. Appreciate the feedback on the Sorceress soaps.

JohnnyO.

Actually, sodium laurate is just the most prominent soap molecule from the saponification of coconut oil. High amounts of lauric acid soap is not a good thing for shaving soaps though, nor is a prominence of sodium soaps (over potassium soaps). Sodium laurate (i.e. a normal sodium soap from coconut oil) does make for a good cleaning and degreasing hand soap that also works in saltwater.

Don't believe I've ever got around to saying thanks Henk for the info you put up for us. I printed out the post you made about soap composition elsewhere & like the other guys I appreciate having someone with knowledge who's patient enough to be willing to share.

Thanks M8.
JohnnyO.

Yes, and sodium lauryl sulfate. Both are synthetic detergents, made from lauryl alcohol and sulfuric acid. The laureth sulfate ('lauryl ether sulfate') has a length of polyethylene glycol (polyoxyethylene) ether groups between the lauryl chain and the sulfuric acid group and is, in fact, a mixed anionic/nonionic detergent. It is a milder detergent than sodium lauryl sulfate. Both are extensively used in synthetic cleansing products, such as liquid hand 'soaps' and shampoos. Neither has any deleterious health effect; SLS can be slightly irritating if you degrease your skin too much (as in continuously washing your hands, every 5 minutes or so for 24 hours...)

henkverhaar said:
SLS can be slightly irritating if you degrease your skin too much (as in continuously washing your hands, every 5 minutes or so for 24 hours...)

And what's so wrong with that? Oh, just a second, I've just got to turn all the light switches in the house on and off seventeen times. Back soon...think I'll start with the garden room... :shock:

factormax said:
And Sorceress other stuff! Anyone tried any of these shaving soaps?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sorceress-products.co.uk/8/cat_29784-SHAVING-SOAPS-WITH-ESSENTIAL-OILS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sorceress-products.co.uk/8/c ... -OILS.html</a><!-- m -->

Their Frankincense and Myrrh soap was the first shaving soap I ever tried. My wife commented on the nice smell initially in my wardrobe then in the bathroom. It smells lovely. It lathered well but tended to dry my skin out in the winter months. It's the only "glycerin" soap I've used. I'll stick to MWF, Tabac, Cella or Nanny's soaps for now.....

Back
Top Bottom