Some recent brushes...

Rev-O said:
Bone? Horn?

As far as I'm aware, bone will never give you the shine and lustre that ivory does, plus it smells even worse when turning. Horn (as in ramshorn or cowshorn (unfortunately hollow) or buffalo horn) is an entirely different animal so to say -- keratin rather than 'bone'. Antler would do, but I cant think of antler that is thick enough.

And mind you: all these materials stink on the lathe -- so much so that I will only turn them with my respirator on...

Henk

My brush arrived today and it's fantastic, I'm really pleased with it. The handle sits perfectly in my hand and it face lathers like a dream. Everyone should have one :)

Chris, you're a genius, thanks very much :D

OK I'm resurrecting an old thread because I have recently received a beautiful brush made by Chris for Christmas. It was from SWMBO but I handled the order itself of course, but I did wait until Christmas Day to open it. It is a 24mm boar brush made with Cocobolo wood. I chose this wood because it is used to make clarinets, which I enjoy playing. Hopefully my attempt at photography does it justice. I'm more used to snapping pics of the kids!

[attachment=0]

It's quite stiff at the moment ;) but after two lathers has softened somewhat. It's a really chunky brush and I've found that, when face lathering, holding it as if gripping a handlebar is better than using just thumb and two fingers.

Many thanks Chris for my beautiful brush!! :D

Attachments

• Neo Brush.JPG
    359 bytes · Views: 115
Glad you like it!

The handle has been oiled, but cocobolo has great water resistant properties anyway.

I must admit it was interesting to make one of the nice handles I've yet turned, then put a boar knot in it!

Rev-O said:
Nice brush.

Surely it should be a boar-kitten mix for PigCat?

There is NO kitten hair in this brush. NO kittens died or were harmed in any way in the production of my brush. I cannot emphasise that enough. Neo has the same story and we are sticking together on that so please don't mention this again. OK??

:?

Wow, think of all the brushes you could get out of this bad boy...

look1.jpg

Henk
" Antler would do, but I cant think of antler that is thick enough."

Antler would make a lovely handle. Could be a bit deer, cost a bit of doe, a few bucks, great if your going on a stag night.

Ahem!

rangers62 said:
Henk
" Antler would do, but I cant think of antler that is thick enough."

Antler would make a lovely handle. Could be a bit deer, cost a bit of doe, a few bucks, great if your going on a stag night.

Ahem!

:lol:

Oh Rangers, you are a funny fallow!

Moose crowns:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.php?option=com_oscommerce&osMod=index&cPath=95_16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.php?o ... Path=95_16</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom