SodaStream

I really fancy one, like the idea of converting Blue Nun into palatable champers and carbonating drinks for the oiks.

Anybody have one, do's and don'ts, drink ideas and what model etc.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlMwud7SxEA[/video]

I know it's politics but these are made in the Occupied West Bank in an illegal settlement/Industrial Estate using discriminatory work practices. (Though they have announced they are closing that factory and are moving to a plant in Lehavim in the Negev) Purely for information, up to you if it makes a difference.

When I was a kid we used to dissolve Imps in hot water, chill it overnight and then use the Sodastream to spritz it for a serious licorice hit. Yum!

I know, I can only apologise but I had to at least say it. The Imps one, I'd still drink now, in fact we used to drink it still if we ran out of fizz for the SS.

I didn't really think that through did I?

I bought one a couple of years ago mainly to make sparkling water and soda for cocktails. I went for this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sodastream-1017514440-SodaStream-Genesis-Megapack/dp/B00FC595JA/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1416926291&sr=1-1&keywords=sodastream+genesis
Its handy to have the extra bottle. I don't use syrups so can't recommend any but that kit has a sample pack. I like the fact that it is capable of making the water a lot fizzier than the shop bought stuff.
Robert Dyas do a gas bottle exchange for about £9, I tend to have an extra one just in case.
http://www.sodastream.co.uk/locator/

How far away from Southampton do you live, Tony? I have one I don't use - too much sugar in the cordials - spare gas cylinder (full), four bottles. It's too big and cumbersome to mail, I suspect. It's a good model.

That's very good of Carl, I'm a bit too far away for a run but if you're willing to box it up I can easily arrange a courier.

OK - please PM me your delivery address and I'll let you know when it's ready. Can you arrange pick-up from my house rather than me dragging it to a shop/PO, please? I'll PM details.

I got one earlier this year, the 'source' model with LED display to show you how much fizz.
It gets lots of use as we have 3 kids.
The syrups, you can get low sugar versions, which we tend to go for.
Register on sodastream website and every so often you will get discount codes and reduced delivery options.
If you have a Range store near to you they usually have the bottles for about £4 each.
I would have suggested a spare bottle, but looks like Bechet45 has sorted you out.

And I work round the corner from the Sodastream factory in Peterborough (I presume its now just distribution). I'm not sure whether its as rough as the occupied west bank, but lets say you don't go out alone at night around here.

And I think Scarlett Johansson was Sodastream ambassador, so it may not put hairs on your chest, but its not done her any harm.

Get busy with the fizzy!

Cola and Lemonade? Sodastream basically gives you the choice to make any fizzy drink you want and you pick Cola and lemonade?
That's like going to a hooker and asking for missionary.

Try and track down a Range or Dunelm store, they tend to have shelves full of the flavours at decent prices.
Me and the family like the fruit mixes, cranberry, cherry, passion fruit, mango etc etc.
Doctor Pete (Dr Pepper rip off) and dandelion and burdock are OK too.
Not tried the energy drink one yet.

Don't forget about 10p a litre fizzy water from the supermarket for if/when the machine gets some downtime. You can still dilute the concentrates.

While we're on concentrates, nose through your local World Food stores - there's a Jamaican sarsaparilla is concentrate that is really nice ... to my palate.

According to the instructions, you are only meant to carbonate clean water. If you are tempted to fizz up some wine (or flat soda), there is a chance some can get into the wand and over time it gets sticky. No way of cleaning it aparantly.
But how real this problem is I don't know.
So if anyone does use wine to get sparkling I would like to know how you get on.

Back
Top Bottom