Soaps and Creams That Can Be Stored for a Long Time; and Storage Options

I'm not sure where to post this as it relates to both soaps and creams, so I'll put it here since I'm most interested in soaps.

I live far, far away from a reasonably priced source of shaving supplies, so I order once a year. I'm wondering if I could maybe stretch that to two years. (And, keep in mind that all of these options are being countered with just sticking with The Body Shop's Maca Root shaving cream which is widely available here at a decent price.)

Are there any soaps and creams that can reasonably last two years (assuming, of course, they aren't already a year old when I order them)? I'm mostly thinking about Mitchell's Wool Fat and Proraso shaving cream (for when I travel). I've heard MWF can dry out, but it would be my regular soap. I'm more worried about how to store the unopened ones. What are some good storage options? An air-tight plastic container, perhaps?

I'm open to suggestions for other brands as well, but they have to be from the major manufacturers as they're the ones available from online vendors. (I suppose the cream is less of an issue because I can just keep on using The Body Shop's Maca Root.)

Or, should I just ditch the idea of MWF and use Proraso for home and travel? (MWF appeals to me because the cost per shave is dirt cheap.)

Any cream in a tube will last indefinitely, Taylors of Old Bond Street is worth a punt at the price and should last easily in excess of 2 or three years. I'd possibly just avoid pots as there's quite a bit of surface area on the top of the cream and it's still exposed to quite a lot of air even with the lid screwed on.

I'm also pretty sure most proper hard soaps will happily last for years, there's not a lot of moisture to dry out in the first place. I've had a spare puck of Truefitt and Hill hard soap (unwrapped) for a year and it looks the same as when I recieved it, I have no doubts that it will shave the same as the one I use most days.

I wouldn't worry too much about shelf life: in most cases it's more a matter of half life. Fido has used 50 year old Yardley with good results if I remember aright, and he's not the only one. MWF can be a bit obstinate if it dries out, but it'll revive if you pour some water on and leave it for a while.

The only thing I'd be wary of in terms of soap is if you have a soft soap such as P160 stored in a wooden bowl. I reckon it could dehydrate. I expect it would still work fine but wouldn't be the same as when you bought it. Harder soaps can also shrink a little in wooden bowls.

I dont think you will have much of a problem with soaps or creams if you are meaning for a couple of years they should all still be fine. I have a real old yarley soap here 20+ years no problems and that works perfect

Ps i keep my large kilo blocks of soft soap in the freezer

You have kilos of soap? :icon_eek:

I can only think you must be a retailer like Nanny or Martin. If not, I'm really worried about you.

Slowrain: I think if you're looking at a life of two years or a little more, there doesn't seem to be any stories of anything degrading in that time so you can probably use whatever the hell you fancy, and store it how you like.

I have a habit of squeezing part used tubes of cream into little miniature tupperware pots (I'm not sure why) and none of those have spoiled yet, although I've only stored them for up to 1 year. They've always looked top notch even after 6 months or so sealed up.

shanky887614 said:
how long do you guys think

prorasso pre/post shave will last? bought 500ml tub thinking its better value than 100ml tub. this is probably going to last about 4/5 years

Ha ha , I am alright for the next 10 years on that basis then cause I bought 2 when I was only halfway through a 100ml tub , I think I have enough blades for the next 20 years aswell :icon_razz:
Derrick

shanky887614 said:
how long do you guys think

prorasso pre/post shave will last? bought 500ml tub thinking its better value than 100ml tub. this is probably going to last about 4/5 years
I have two of these 500ml tubs. Nearly finished one after about 10/11 months and it's absolutely fine.

Canuck said:
I see Pedro. I'm sorry that I didn't include smileys, I probably should have, I'm not remotely critical of your soap storage policy, I just found it very surprising to see such a quantity! ;)

thats no problems, but I better no tell you about the litre bottles of AS or you will really take the piss:blush:

pedro083 said:
thats no problems, but I better no tell you about the litre bottles of AS or you will really take the piss:blush:

Suffice to say that if we run out of fossil fuels, Pedro can get his car converted to run off aftershave and his supplies will still hardly take a dent over the course of a decade! :O

I really don't think there's much to worry about here, though PC is probably spot on about wooden bowls. Many of you will recall the sale of old stock Coates cream a while back: that had been hanging around for a long time as I remember, but the only problem with it was that it had gone a little firm and that's easily sorted out. Very soft creams with no preservatives like Henk's may well need using up reasonably briskly - no hardship there! - but I've no doubt that the Proraso will last the course.

Is that a new avatar, Pedro? Very nice! :)

Canuck said:
You have kilos of soap? :icon_eek:

I can only think you must be a retailer like Nanny or Martin. If not, I'm really worried about you.

If they stop making "the one" that you like... why not stock up on it and irritate everyone else in 5 years time that you still have 5 years' supply :)

<makes note in diary for 2019 to pull out some decent blades>

I've got a half used tub of Mama Bear's Brut which is working just fine at some 4 years old. Which gives me gr8 hope for the longevity of the other 5 or 6 tubs of MB I've got stashed away.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom