Soap Packaging and Labelling

I'll be making soap to the formula which I used for HoneySpice in the samples.

As it's a softish soap I can't guarantee to get cakes out of a mould so I'm thinking of pouring it into tins to set. The tins would be 200ml aluminium with EPA coating on the inside, nearly 90cm diameter and 3.5cm deep - 100g of soap would leave a space for manouvering the brush when loading with lather.

Would this be OK?

Briallen said:
90cm diameter and 3.5cm deep - 100g of soap would leave a space for manouvering the brush when loading with lather.

That would leave a lot of room for manoeuvre!

I think 9 cm in diameter sounds fine.

On a side note, I've not posted a review of your soaps yet Elaine as I wanted to give them all a decent try first. I have been impressed by the Honeyspice though.

I've a suspicion that 100g of soap will be more than 100ml when poured - and the 100g tins are only just over not quite 7cm diameter - probably 90g of soap to just under the brim.

(thanks for the comment re HoneySpice - it'll have to have a name change though as all the soaps in the range will have honey in and I have another spice essential oil blend)

I think that´ll do nicely, aswell. I think it´s smart to move around one solid mix, rather than trying to get a whole range of different soaps + It´s very different from the other soapmakers soaps here, which is good :D

It´s very different from the other soapmakers soaps here, which is good

Thanks - I read the reviews and descriptions on TSR and aimed for something different.

I'll start with 4 or 5 fragrance blends - but I have to have a think about labels. The name "Briallen" will stay ('cos only a minority of potential customers will know that it's Welsh for "primrose") but the primrose logo will have to go as it's not very masculine.

Briallen said:

As it's a softish soap I can't guarantee to get cakes out of a mould so I'm thinking of pouring it into tins to set. The tins would be 200ml aluminium with EPA coating on the inside, nearly 90cm diameter and 3.5cm deep - 100g of soap would leave a space for manouvering the brush when loading with lather.

Well, I can practically guarantee that you WON'T be able to make moulded cakes with said soap. And honestly, the soap will be too soft to use as a 'swirling' soap too. I think the best option is to make sure it can be used as a cream, one way or another (i.e. it should be possible for the end user to scoop an amount required for a single shave from the container and transfer it to a bowl).

henkverhaar said:
Briallen said:

Well, I can practically guarantee that you WON'T be able to make moulded cakes with said soap. And honestly, the soap will be too soft to use as a 'swirling' soap too. I think the best option is to make sure it can be used as a cream, one way or another (i.e. it should be possible for the end user to scoop an amount required for a single shave from the container and transfer it to a bowl).

Far too firm to be a cream!

I've some here which I've used for swirling; it hasn't had the lid on for a week or so and has dried further and can be lifted out of the container - still not a "hard" soap though .

Briallen said:
I'll start with 4 or 5 fragrance blends - but I have to have a think about labels. The name "Briallen" will stay ('cos only a minority of potential customers will know that it's Welsh for "primrose") but the primrose logo will have to go as it's not very masculine.

Ah, but what if the primrose on the logo, was sporting some stubbly whiskers, wearing a trench-coat & fedora, and also striking a match off of one button so it can light a cigar(ette) that's dangling perilously from the primrose's lower lip?

• ... and the primrose is watching a woman's butt, as she walks past him
    • ... along a dock with a huge crane
        • ... with people in the background fighting and/or mugging/getting mugged
            • ... with a fire raging out of the doors & windows of one of the dockside warehouses
              • ... where booze is kept prior to shipment
                • ... to an army base and/or prison
                    • ... by steam locomotive
                        • ... guarded by huge slavering dog-packs
                            • ... with sawn-off shotguns[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

I think that that primrose would be looking a darned bit more masculine then, eh?!

Briallen said:
Far too firm to be a cream!

I've some here which I've used for swirling; it hasn't had the lid on for a week or so and has dried further and can be lifted out of the container - still not a "hard" soap though .

I think I have a fair guess as to how firm it is ;-) As is, yes, it will be firm, but as soon as you use it, as a swirling soap, for a couple days in a row, the top layer will goo up nicely... If one does want to use it as a swirling soap, it would benefit from being in a seriously oversized container; preferably in a generously sized bowl. Oh, and the relative density will be around 1. 100 g will probably fill a 100 mL container to the brim, or slightly more.

Urban Hermit said:
Briallen said:

Ah, but what if the primrose on the logo, was sporting some stubbly whiskers, wearing a trench-coat & fedora, and also striking a match off of one button so it can light a cigar(ette) that's dangling perilously from the primrose's lower lip?

• ... and the primrose is watching a woman's butt, as she walks past him
    • ... along a dock with a huge crane
        • ... with people in the background fighting and/or mugging/getting mugged
            • ... with a fire raging out of the doors & windows of one of the dockside warehouses
              • ... where booze is kept prior to shipment
                • ... to an army base and/or prison
                    • ... by steam locomotive
                        • ... guarded by huge slavering dog-packs
                            • ... with sawn-off shotguns[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

I think that that primrose would be looking a darned bit more masculine then, eh?!

• Hermit - Mrs PC has just read your post and asked me why I can't be more like your version of Briallen's primrose. I am feeling incredibly inadequate now. I have tried to explain to her that it isn't a real primrose but an imaginary rock-hard kick-ass primrose but she's having a hot flush and is talking about a making a trip to the garden centre... :roll:

Briallen said:
It´s very different from the other soapmakers soaps here, which is good

Thanks - I read the reviews and descriptions on TSR and aimed for something different.

Don't worry too muchly about the name Elaine ................. most of us well balanced, mature and worldwise types in here are well in touch with our feminine sides. Shucks, we even exchange tips about shaving balms & moisturisers. Pig / C is perhaps the sole exception, which explains why Mrs. PC has been bowled over by what we all recognise as a self descriptive piece of prose by U/Hermit !

JohnnyO. :lol:

JohnnyO said:
Don't worry too muchly about the name Elaine ................. most of us well balanced, mature and worldwise types in here are well in touch with our feminine sides. Shucks, we even exchange tips about shaving balms & moisturisers. Pig / C is perhaps the sole exception, which explains why Mrs. PC has been bowled over by what we all recognise as a self descriptive piece of prose by U/Hermit !

JohnnyO. :lol:

There's a certain percentage of text within all literature which can be said to be autobiographical in nature.

• ... which might, to some small degree, explain my surreal and absurdist tendencies when I write.[/list:u][/list:u]

This is my primrose ATM - and it's on all current products.[attachment=1]

(without the black rectangle)

Then the product name/description fits around it[attachment=0]

Background colours and textures vary.

(haven't yet worked out how to put stubble, trilby, trenchcoat etc!!)

Attachments

• Logo.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 117
  • label1.gif
    360 bytes · Views: 117
Like the design. would be nice if it is water proof labelling. Makes a real mess when you get ordinary labels wet. Then when you can't read them you don't know what's in them.

Back
Top Bottom