Soap or Cream?

James
Some of our more learned brethern tell us that cream is only more hydrated soap. Makes sense to me!

I find that cream is easier / quicker to lather up, but soap somehow provides a more cushioning lather. Perhaps this is because it has to be "worked" more.

Quite a lot of us start with creams then move on to soaps.

Regards

rangers62 said:
James
Some of our more learned brethern tell us that cream is only more hydrated soap. Makes sense to me!

I find that cream is easier / quicker to lather up, but soap somehow provides a more cushioning lather. Perhaps this is because it has to be "worked" more.

Regards

well said ranger,so now we got soaps and creams and to fit something in between there is 'shave stick',why?shaving stick is a stick of soap!can anybody see the appeal?probably one of the most useless inventions in human history,I bought an erasmic stick which comes with a holder,as added bonus the holder comes off every time I touch the stick.....

rangers62 said:

I strangely started off with soaps and moved to (mainly) creams. I had somehow got the idea that soaps were more 'authentic' and the classier way to shave. Perhaps that's true because I assume they've been around longer than creams. Now I don't give a toss - cream is lovely and takes less time. I know it costs more but I don't exactly spend a fortune on the stuff.

Soaps - They last for years and years,the only thing that may go is the scent but people still get vintage Old Spice shaving soap that has its scent even after like 30+ years.
With them lasting for ages that means you have the benefit of being able to pick what mood you are in,where as a cream you might have to use it up before it goes bad.
Soap seems to last alot longer if you ask me and there seems to be a much wider range of scents aswell.

Scorpio said:
Soaps - They last for years and years,the only thing that may go is the scent but people still get vintage Old Spice shaving soap that has its scent even after like 30+ years.
With them lasting for ages that means you have the benefit of being able to pick what mood you are in,where as a cream you might have to use it up before it goes bad.
Soap seems to last alot longer if you ask me and there seems to be a much wider range of scents aswell.

I agree creams have shelf lives too,its in years,but even then you can always add more water and rehydrate them

James_uk said:
so now we got soaps and creams and to fit something in between there is 'shave stick',why?shaving stick is a stick of soap!can anybody see the appeal?probably one of the most useless inventions in human history,I bought an erasmic stick which comes with a holder,as added bonus the holder comes off every time I touch the stick.....

The only good thing about a shave stick as far as I can see is that they are good for taking travelling. But then again a small tub of soap, or even better a tube or pot of cream, takes up minimal room in a suitcase or bag. Yes you can rub them on your face, but you still need a brush to get a decent lather.

Pig Cat said:
rangers62 said:

I strangely started off with soaps and moved to (mainly) creams. I had somehow got the idea that soaps were more 'authentic' and the classier way to shave. Perhaps that's true because I assume they've been around longer than creams. Now I don't give a toss - cream is lovely and takes less time. I know it costs more but I don't exactly spend a fortune on the stuff.

I agree,soaps seem to be a more luxurious way,one hint is the fact that you can buy top end wooden bowls for them

James_uk said:
I agree creams have shelf lives too,its in years,but even then you can always add more water and rehydrate them

Dont get me wrong,i like me some creams,Old Spice is one i will be getting in the future,im just more of a soap man

Can somebody clever please create a picture of Harry Hill refereeing a fight between a soap and some cream? It will help us visualise which we'd like to win.

Scorpio said:
James_uk said:
Scorpio said:

Dont get me wrong,i like me some creams,Old Spice is one i will be getting in the future,im just more of a soap man

yes its all down to personal preference I guess,I never got into soaps,don't really know why

I find it much easier to lather creams. I started off with TOBS sandalwood soap eight months ago and really struggled with it. Quickly moved onto creams, mainly Proraso, some TOBS ones and Art of Shaving lavender. I can lather all of them fine, either face lathering or in a bowl, and get nice protecting slick lather. Over the last few weeks I've been trying soaps out again, Mama Bears, Tabac and Palmolive, but I'm still struggling to get decent lather with them. It seems okay for the first pass but then seems to collapse a bit on subsequent passes. Any tips? Am I not adding enough water?

Yellow Jim said:
I find it much easier to lather creams. I started off with TOBS sandalwood soap eight months ago and really struggled with it. Quickly moved onto creams, mainly Proraso, some TOBS ones and Art of Shaving lavender. I can lather all of them fine, either face lathering or in a bowl, and get nice protecting slick lather. Over the last few weeks I've been trying soaps out again, Mama Bears, Tabac and Palmolive, but I'm still struggling to get decent lather with them. It seems okay for the first pass but then seems to collapse a bit on subsequent passes. Any tips? Am I not adding enough water?

When lathering with soaps, for second and subsequent passes I always have another quick swirl on the soap and thus always enough lather.

As to my preferences, I simply love variety. Creams are easy to lather up in a bowl and soaps can get a bit hit and miss and messy but I always end up OK (apart from my MWF)

Both! I am trying to keep my rotation down to two soaps and two creams.

Picture_1204_1_.jpg

Both :roll: I face lather soaps in the mornings (Tabac/P160/Palmolive/ToBS Sandalwood/Proraso), evening and weekend shaves tend to be bowl lathered creams (Speick/Proraso/ToBS Almond & Lavender). I have only half-arsed tried to bowl lather soap - not very well :oops: , but will work on it for winter ;)

In short, if time was no issue i would stick to creams & Tabac, but as time is usually an issue, you gotta love Tabac. Anyone who says they can't lather the stuff up - should buy a Philishave :shock: ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom