Snuff

So we don't really know what 'SP' stands for and I'm not really sure I care. What I cannot discover is what makes a snuff an SP. Is it just the bergamot or some other characteristic?

My Viking Dark arrived today and I got blown away with my first nicotine hit in twenty odd years. I rather like this and am just about to buy some more.

Bechet45 said:
So we don't really know what 'SP' stands for and I'm not really sure I care. What I cannot discover is what makes a snuff an SP. Is it just the bergamot or some other characteristic?

My Viking Dark arrived today and I got blown away with my first nicotine hit in twenty odd years. I rather like this and am just about to buy some more.

do you think this will lead you back to smoking carl? or do you think its just something to indulge in every now and again and enjoy as is? im curious to try some snuff myself but dont want to get drawn back into smoking. is it a different animal altogether?

I could take some today and not bother again for a week, maybe a month. Then again, I'm the same with my pipe.

I know a fella who hoovers up a great big tin of McChrystal's in a day without really trying but it seems to me to be a habit you can moderate.

joe mcclaine said:
I could take some today and not bother again for a week, maybe a month. Then again, I'm the same with my pipe.

I know a fella who hoovers up a great big tin of McChrystal's in a day without really trying but it seems to me to be a habit you can moderate.

excellent, i think ill have look at whats available and buy a few to try.

Speaking as a man of great authority on the matter - three sniffs, snorts, tokes or pinches - I cannot see a path to cigarette smoking. As you say, a different animal. It might, however, lead to SnAD - I suspect I've already caught that but am not surprised at all by that (at the worst of the teas phase, I had twenty-one different Darjeeling 1st Flush teas in my cupboards). Also, a can of snuff costs very little - or little cans do - £1.50-ish. I just bought a whole bunch looking for a few I like most.

Is it addictive, as are cigarettes? Absolutely - it contains nicotine. Can you control it? - I think so, as with social drinking - but I can imagine saying that three cigarettes into a career.

It has lead me to ask the question - at what age are we permitted to do things we know are not good for our health but are fun, enjoyable, tasty, etc? Oh dear! that sounds like the smokers' bleat - but it's the only thing I enjoy in life, don't take away my only pleasure.

Of course, you may not like putting brown powder up your nose so that wouldn't take you back to smoking!

Bechet45 said:
Speaking as a man of great authority on the matter - three sniffs, snorts, tokes or pinches - I cannot see a path to cigarette smoking. As you say, a different animal. It might, however, lead to SnAD - I suspect I've already caught that but am not surprised at all by that (at the worst of the teas phase, I had twenty-one different Darjeeling 1st Flush teas in my cupboards). Also, a can of snuff costs very little - or little cans do - £1.50-ish. I just bought a whole bunch looking for a few I like most.

Is it addictive, as are cigarettes? Absolutely - it contains nicotine. Can you control it? - I think so, as with social drinking - but I can imagine saying that three cigarettes into a career.

It has lead me to ask the question - at what age are we permitted to do things we know are not good for our health but are fun, enjoyable, tasty, etc? Oh dear! that sounds like the smokers' bleat - but it's the only thing I enjoy in life, don't take away my only pleasure.

Of course, you may not like putting brown powder up your nose so that wouldn't take you back to smoking!

Carl, you made me laugh with the bit about your tea phase. Sounds just like me with my many different interests, phases of the week which I just have to know everything about and try as much, own as many etc of whatever the current fancy is. I wonder how many of us have this addictive personality thing on here? My guess would be quite a few. Anyway Carl, glad you are enjoying the snuff. I am too but I still smoke. I'm really liking the flavour/taste/aroma you get afterwards a bit like the way you do with a wine, cigar, pipe etc etc...

Bechet45 said:

Would you be a patron of Wights of London Road then Carl ?

I know Mr Wight passed away a while ago now but I remember as a kid going in there with my dad and every time he always gave me a free packet if sweets. I remember all the jars and his pair of scales as well as the cabinets of Cigars and indeed snuff. I think it's some younger relations running the place now.

There was also a tobacconist at the Junction where there was always two older women serving.

Northam Saint said:
Would you be a patron of Wights of London Road then Carl ?

I'm still asleep - saw the 'London' and stopped thinking! However, head operating again and Wights - is that what it's called? - is still open I think - just. Last time I really noticed, their window was full of bongs and the place dilapidated. Used to be a magnificent shop,eh? Staggers me how the descendants of a founder hang on and string out the certain demise of a business.

But no, I am not a patron - I support a shop with a large enough catchment area for its products to be fresh and it's prices to be competitive. Times have changed and Wight's hasn't, I'm afraid. That coffee shop down the road the same - both could have been thriving businesses still. God! but I loved the smells from both of them!

chriszacharek said:
Sounds just like me with my many different interests, phases of the week which I just have to know everything about and try as much, own as many etc of whatever the current fancy is. I wonder how many of us have this addictive personality thing on here? My guess would be quite a few.

Despite the clear evidence, I try not to think of myself as having an addictive personality - rather a keen and inquiring mind. I also thought myself pretty much alone in this - again in spite of the evidence in TSR - so it is good to know you and others are out there. My coffee phase is peaking, my shaving brush phase re-igniting and the new snuff phase about to go rampant. Chris ordered three to try them out, I bought one to see if I could do it and yesterday ten more. Ten!

isaiah53 said:
just ordered some samuel gawith black coffee, wilsons of sharrow honey menthol and mcchrystals original. ill see how it goes, going down the moderation road with it.

I am very pleased to note that this morning I do not crave at all taking some snuff. The tin is right in front of me.

I'm still asleep - saw the 'London' and stopped thinking! However, head operating again and Wights - is that what it's called? - is still open I think - just. Last time I really noticed, their window was full of bongs and the place dilapidated. Used to be a magnificent shop,eh? Staggers me how the descendants of a founder hang on and string out the certain demise of a business.

But no, I am not a patron - I support a shop with a large enough catchment area for its products to be fresh and it's prices to be competitive. Times have changed and Wight's hasn't, I'm afraid. That coffee shop down the road the same - both could have been thriving businesses still. God! but I loved the smells from both of them!

Yes it is somewhat dodgy looking now, it was indeed a fine shop in its day. One of my friends went in there for his flavoured rolling tobacco. Back in its day it use to be busy. I suppose most of the custom would of been older people that grew up with Tobacconist shops and kept to there ways. I know my father, he smoked a pipe, cigars and cigarettes, he'd always buy Pipe and Cigars from him. My dad was a Southampton Corporation Bus Driver and the drivers and Conductors would use the place. No doubt the descendants decided to try and pull in a younger customer. Big shame.

That Coffee shop was wonderful, the smell filled the air for a fair distance. I can see that roasting machine turning away in the window. They would fresh grind it in there to your exact requirements too. Oh for the good old days, 70's Southampton High Street.

It's this bloody snuff stuff! The pull for me is the direct link back to my Grandad and thus my very young days, before it was violently turned upside down. Seems to be taking others down Memory Lane, too. Mind, in the '70s, there was a lot of money in Southampton and it was a green and pleasant town so it is worth a trip!

How does snuff work? Tobacco, mucus membrane, nose - OK, got that part. I was expecting a nicotine hit - I think it was you used the phrase, Vinny - and then not much else, whereas, what I'm getting is a nicotine beginning, building to a peak and then tailing off to an un-noticed nothing sometime later, quite a while sometime later. It's as if the tobacco is a slow release mechanism, the nicotine slowly leaching out as it gets wet - or not so slowly to start with as it precipitates mucus flow very soon after taking.

I appreciate that I am particularly sensitive to nicotine right now as I have not had an intake in a quarter of a century, but I begin to see just how addictive this stuff is! I'm getting a very pleasant high that would tempt one to chase endlessly. I'm not at all sure I should take snuff and drive! Definitely not be a sniper in no-man's land!

Yes- I'm up there right now on my second pinch of the day - half in each nostril each time. Getting the hang of not getting it into my sinuses, thank goodness!

I said ... "Not the sort of woozy, fuzzy-headed feeling you'd get from a bowl full of Virginia like Dunhill Royal Yacht, more a clear-headed buzz for a few seconds".

That's what I get, plus the lingering scent in my hooter.

Are you guys going to be able to use this stuff if you suffer from hayfever; it being just around the corner. I can imagine snuff pots spilling everywhere

I' don't really understand why anybody would want to do this, but that's probably because I've never had a nicotine hit in my entire life and intend to keep it that way.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom