Smart watch for Android

Looking for recommendations for a Smart Watch that is compatible with Android. I have tried to avoid such thing, but after a recent knee injury and the need to rehab, I'm warming to the idea of tracking activities and the metrics that are produced.

Mainly want to track activities, and being able to control media would be a bonus. Decent battery life is essential.

Had a quick look earlier today and some of the prices are eye watering. The Fitbits look great, but I understand have limited integration with Google?

Cheers all.

Looking for recommendations for a Smart Watch that is compatible with Android. I have tried to avoid such thing, but after a recent knee injury and the need to rehab, I'm warming to the idea of tracking activities and the metrics that are produced.

Mainly want to track activities, and being able to control media would be a bonus. Decent battery life is essential.

Had a quick look earlier today and some of the prices are eye watering. The Fitbits look great, but I understand have limited integration with Google?

Cheers all.
Have a look at the Google pixel watch, I have no idea of the cost but this watch is made for / by Google / Android.

Paul.

Last edited:

Cheers all.
I reckon Garmin is probably about the best there is
i’m hearing Samsung are decent also.
Sorry i don’t have a model number.
But i guess it’s all down to affordability.
Look at Garmin though they are at the top of their game

I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 245 for a few years now, you can probably pick them up for less than 200 GBP. It has many training metrics and can control your media on the phone (although it takes a few button presses to get to that section). There is also the 245 music which has a media player built in. I haven't tried that though. Garmin 010-02120-20 Forerunner 245 Music, GPS Running Smartwatch with Music and Advanced Dynamics, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
You can customise the display/face and there are a lot of really good user-created options to download from the Garmin site. I can't fault it really, it does everything I need for running and hiking which are my two main types of exercise. It is the only smartwatch I have owned and a big step up from the Polar HRMs I used to use on the bike.

Cheers all. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a cheap Huawei tracker to see how these things go.

Being a Casio fanboy, going to save up for the G-Shock DW-H5600 which will be in the UK during the summer.

g-shock-g-squad-dw-h5600.jpg

The thing that concerns me, more with the cheaper Chinese no-brand ones rather than your Garmins, Apples and Samsungs, is personal data security, especially location and health combined with identity. I just about trust the likes of Apple with this after the San Bernardino hoo har, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of that kind of data falling into the wrong hands, or even medical insurance companies. I would be surprised if the cheaper ones have the same care about data protection as Apple, and are possibly even actively exploiting it, if not just being lax about it.

The thing that concerns me, more with the cheaper Chinese no-brand ones rather than your Garmins, Apples and Samsungs, is personal data security, especially location and health combined with identity. I just about trust the likes of Apple with this after the San Bernardino hoo har, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of that kind of data falling into the wrong hands, or even medical insurance companies. I would be surprised if the cheaper ones have the same care about data protection as Apple, and are possibly even actively exploiting it, if not just being lax about it.
This would be exactly my concern. Any gadget these days pings home at a minimum; i am pretty sure that commercial smart watches all save and mine all the data. You know because 'saving to the cloud means you won't lose the data'. They do this through their respective apps (some years back there were some watches that also worked with some open source local-only apps like gadgetbridge, but I have no idea about the status these days). All in all, it's up to you how much do you trust various companies.

Back
Top Bottom