slippy handle on a EJ 89?

Just before I make my purchase, I read a review that said the handle on the EJ 89 is slippy when shaving due to it being so smooth.

They also do the chrome lined version, which I assume would be better for grip.

Any one ever experienced any slip?

I do have the DE89 and cannot say there is a big issue with grip. I am happy with it.

Of course with few other razors, like the Merkur 33C/G, 34C/G, or with vintage Gillettes (Superspeed Rockets, Aristocrats come to mind easily) grip is indeed way better.

You should not have a problem, and even in the unlikely event you find some loss of grip you can wet the handle a bit and continue shaving.

The Muehle R89 and the EJ89L seem by handle design to be offering better grip but not necessarily a lot more (I have the R89 and can say it still feels kind of slippery in the handle some times).

I wouldn't be worried if I were you. It is a very nice, simple and with elegant design razor.

I have the lined chrome version, the lines are very shallow to aid any grip tbh.

Also I've had mine for a while, never had any troubles with grip.

Hope that helps a little!

thanks for the quick replies.

I really like the black handle version over the chrome. Just thought I would do a quick check!

Robbo,

Think you are going through the same thought process as I did.

I have the smooth chrome EJ DE89, I'm pretty new to DE shaving and fancied upgrading from my Boots DE safety razor which I used for my 'trial' DE shaving period.

I looked at the DE89 and then had to make the choice between the lined and smooth chrome. Think the saving on the smooth was about a fiver at the time (on the big 'amazing' retail site ;) which is quite substantial when getting a nice entry level razor. Obviously I had the same concerns but looking at various threads on here and possibly other sites I came to the conclusion that the smooth would be fine in terms of grip. Thats the great thing I have found on this site, the info is there and if not people are willing to advise.

I have been using it for the last couple of weeks and as a novice and a not particularly tidy (in terms of dry hands etc) shaver I havent personally encountered any problems with the handle being smooth. Its a great looking piece of kit, a nice weight and provides a great shave. I can't obviously compare it with any others out there other than the basic boots one, but I haven't been disappointed at all.

All the best and happy shaving.

Jack Force said:
Robbo,

Think you are going through the same thought process as I did.

I have the smooth chrome EJ DE89, I'm pretty new to DE shaving and fancied upgrading from my Boots DE safety razor which I used for my 'trial' DE shaving period.

I looked at the DE89 and then had to make the choice between the lined and smooth chrome. Think the saving on the smooth was about a fiver at the time (on the big 'amazing' retail site ;) which is quite substantial when getting a nice entry level razor. Obviously I had the same concerns but looking at various threads on here and possibly other sites I came to the conclusion that the smooth would be fine in terms of grip. Thats the great thing I have found on this site, the info is there and if not people are willing to advise.

I have been using it for the last couple of weeks and as a novice and a not particularly tidy (in terms of dry hands etc) shaver I havent personally encountered any problems with the handle being smooth. Its a great looking piece of kit, a nice weight and provides a great shave. I can't obviously compare it with any others out there other than the basic boots one, but I haven't been disappointed at all.

All the best and happy shaving.

Well my order is in now, went for the black as it looks smartest to me. Hoping to get the matching black/chrome brush to go with it at some point too.

now all I need is for these b/stard shaving rash/spots to go on my neck!

When you first see the EJ89 it's natural to think you need more grip on a handle but given the weight of most D.E razors and how they should be held (lightly) the opposite nearer the truth.

i have the DE87 which is the black/ivory handled ones (the metal is the DE89 and the lined is DE89L)

no problems with grip whatsoever and I shave inside the shower!

shrink said:
i have the DE87 which is the black/ivory handled ones (the metal is the DE89 and the lined is DE89L)

no problems with grip whatsoever and I shave inside the shower!

I know its late but i just read that as:

no problems with grip whoever I shave inside the shower!

Picked my 89 up from RM delivery office this morning and used it for first time tonight. My other Safety Razors are basic and light and this is the first 'proper' one i've bought.

Will have better views over the coming weeks but had no problems at all tonight, just getting used to the weight of the damn thing...

Back
Top Bottom