slating weishi razors

i used one of these the other day, quite mild but a decent enough shave, they are a Razor that is built cheaply to supply a demand, they are what they are.

If you want to get an Edwin Jagger, or a Merkur etc, then you pay for the Craftsmanship and design that goes with it...

sunburyboy93 said:
i used one of these the other day, quite mild but a decent enough shave, they are a Razor that is built cheaply to supply a demand, they are what they are.

If you want to get an Edwin Jagger, or a Merkur etc, then you pay for the Craftsmanship and design that goes with it...

I entirely agree with that post,it's made it china so that says a lot,at this stage I have not tried mine yet but this video shows it's possible to get a good shave with one.Now what I don't understand it the fact that there's been a lot of post on other forums saying that it's just not possible to shave with it

I think a lot of the 'slaters' had quality issues with the razor.I seem to recall people talking about uneven blade gaps and the like.I can see why people would not bother to try them after hearing reports like that, why take the risk? Of course it is possible that they have sorted the quality issues and now produce a good, cheap functional razor.Let us know when you try yours out.

Edit:
Just watched the vid, 3 passes inc one against the grain and he had to do quite a bit of touch up afterwards.I wouldn't bother tbh I would go with a tech.How much do these weishi's go for?

I got one free last week with 120 Superthins (looks a bit like a SuperSpeed) and is known as the 2003-M.

It's not a bad razor; incredibly light (50g) and feels more like plated plastic than metal. No uneven blade gap on mine. On the back of the silo doors I can see some bubbling under the plating, but these things retail for less than £10 and I even saw a listing on ebay for a case of 10 for less than £40!
I use it as my travel razor and it's a very mild razor so shaves can take a bit longer than with my 38R (good for touch up work).
They do them in a range of colours - gold, chrome, gun metal, pink! (Glad I didn't get pink!)
I don't know if they are plated with gold, chromer, etc. or if it's gold effect, imitation chrome, etc.

"Inimitable design"
"Needlessly load and unload"
:0)

I think you better watch and listen to that video a little more carefully before jumping to those sorts of conclusions, firstly he demonstrates shockingly bad technique scraping over the same area about three or four times before moving on to another patch clearly he can shave in any old manner and it doesn't really matter.

5.35 minutes, he says "I don't want to say anything bad but....

7.17 minutes...it doesn't even take off the shaving cream....

Read the Q & A...its a little more revealing

"If you've been using a lightweight razor & experiencing some irritation, it's probably because you need to apply more pressure to get it to shave better, at the same time, by applying more pressure, you may be more prone to razor burn rash or nicks....Kind of a "Catch 22" situation.

I recommend that you save up (or holiday/birthday gift) and invest in a more substantial Safety Razor.

It will last a lifetime and just the weight of the razor is all you need when shaving.

Geo."

What he did was the equivalent of a mantic 9 pass shave which demonstrates that you can eventually get a decent shave with any old tat but I think you just really like the fella because he looks like a typical US Harley rider...don't cry now.

i had a Gunmetal one i got from Connaught

never had any issue with the uneven blade exposure or build quality,it was a smart looking razor too

mild - yes, but that was due to the very narrow sweet-spot when getting the angle to your skin right
every other razor i have there's a bit of leeway when using them
with the Weishi you had to be bang on or it wouldn't work

i also seem to remember the end caps rubbing my face as well or it might have been the little lips that were at the ends of the razors face :?

i really wanted to like it but it just didn't cut the mustard (or hair) for me :roll:

It's not my favourite razor, and I've only ever used a Merkur 38R, Parker 91R, SuperSpeed and that one, but it was better than I was expecting.
I'd agree there is definitely only a small margin to get the shaving angle. This, combined with its mildness, might mean it's better for a new-to-DE shaver who wants to learn the technique and see if he likes DE shaving without spending money.
Don't know how it would fare if I dropped it though.

I have just watched the video, quite informative not so much what was said but the effort he had to put in. :?

4 passes and all that repeat scraping with a new blade - there'd be blood everywhere and what kinda state would your face be in the next day :shock: .

If someone only had £15-20 to spend on a first razor, I would still push them down the Tech / Super Speed route, I really would. Either that or tell 'em to push the boat out for another £5 and get a Muhle R89 or EJ DE89 (depending on who had the best deal available). :|

I thought I'd better check this self proclaimed guru out....he does a lot of over shaving. i.e repeat scraping over the same area even with a better razor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHPbTrMiNW0&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkCS2pWW5o&feature=related[/youtube]

Not recommended, stick to mantic, nice bandanna's though....vruuum vruuumm.

Slash not as bad as this guy, 1st DE shave, literally takes a fingertip of cream out a tub and rubs it on his face, no lather. His missus asks him if it's cutting and he says "I dunno, I might just dial it up to 5" it's a merkur Futur :shock:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GhtHrNGTtI&feature=related[/youtube]

What a feckin toolbag

andyjreid said:
Slash not as bad as this guy, 1st DE shave, literally takes a fingertip of cream out a tub and rubs it on his face, no lather. His missus asks him if it's cutting and he says "I dunno, I might just dial it up to 5" it's a merkur Futur :shock:

What a feckin toolbag

:lol: :lol: :lol: was waiting for him to cut that spot off :|

slash said:
andyjreid said:

What a feckin toolbag

:lol: :lol: :lol: was waiting for him to cut that spot off :|

Well, that's a good how not to wet shave. Nice of him to take one for the team ;)

moodymick said:
I have just watched the video, quite informative not so much what was said but the effort he had to put in. :?

4 passes and all that repeat scraping with a new blade - there'd be blood everywhere and what kinda state would your face be in the next day :shock: .

If someone only had £15-20 to spend on a first razor, I would still push them down the Tech / Super Speed route, I really would. Either that or tell 'em to push the boat out for another £5 and get a Muhle R89 or EJ DE89 (depending on who had the best deal available). :|

I'm with you on that one,not a bad idea to have one lying around as a back,but that's about it I think

Back
Top Bottom