Skin food

Some time in the next year or two I may actually need to get some more after shave. So that's a good enough excuse to start thinking.

I've got samples of Trumpers Limes and Sandalwood.

What is skin food and does it have properties which make it a useful aftershave application?

And thoughts on Trumpers and other options would be appreciated.

Of the Skinfoods I like the smell of the coral one the most, it not that great as an ASB for me. when I get in from work I have a shower (no shave) and stick some skinfood on, it is quite pleasant but I don't use as they intend it to be used which is before and after shaving. I believe there are other better products for before and after the shave, it is just a nice light skin conditioner to me.

Ive been using the coral for a couple of years. Its a decent enough After shave moisturizer, tho its not as effective as a full on ASB as some.
Otherwise it smells good and does leave my face looking nice (Wifes opinion anyway).

Its also not 'that expensive' a small amount of it really does go a long way which is a big bonus in my book.

My main balms atm are TBS's Macaroot and the Pecksniff ASBs (Thank you TK-maxx).
I use Asdas One Planet as well on occasion, but by god its strong stuff...

Skin Food - I have been using this now for two years and to be honest since discovering it would not consider buying anything else. It has to be one of, if not THE most economical A/S product out there. All I use is FIVE drops after a shave and that easily covers my shaved face. Another plus point is the fact that it does not irritate my skin. I have sensitive skin and each A/S Balm I used always irritated me - not this stuff. Okay, so it has its knockers but I happen to believe it to be a top notch product and the scents are great too. I have both the Coral and the Sandalwood, the latter's scent is reminiscent of ginger beer, well it is to me anyway. The limes scent is the weakest and disappears almost instantly. £20 on a 200ml bottle is very good value for money IMO. You can try all three of Trumpers Skin Foods in the sample packs (£4 from their website) to see for yourself before plunging out on a full bottle. Five drops at a time, how long is a 200ml bottle gonna last me? Years probably.

skin food is nice, but it is a very lightweight moisturiser, so more for summer than for winter (depending on climate & skin type). The Rose smells good, limes is too much of a Pledge type scent... :roll:

Personally, I'd choose DRH aftershaving milk over it any day: far more soothing & moisturising, divine scent, glass bottle. Pricier, Yes, but a far, far superior aftershave in my humble opinion.

I use GFT Sandalwood skinfood and I find it works very well and a little goes a long way. It is quite subtle and leaves my skin feeling soft and refreshed. I tried the Lime (tester) and found it too synthetic for my taste.

Interesting thread.

I use GFT Sandlewood and coral. After I apply GFT Moisteriser, so I condition my skin the moisturize. I've tried T&H AS balms in a sample pack and didn't think they were as good as the GFT combinations I use. I've not tried DRH milk.

I have used skin food in different ways and always found that there were better products to do the job until I went for a shave at Trumpers and saw how they use it ...

Before my final pass, I now wipe off any excess cream from my face (without rinsing) and then rub in some skin food (you really need very little). Then brush my lather on top and shave. This both lubricates and provides protection. It really is superb - try it! This will never be out of my rotation again.

chicken neck said:
I have used skin food in different ways and always found that there were better products to do the job until I went for a shave at Trumpers and saw how they use it ...

Before my final pass, I now wipe off any excess cream from my face (without rinsing) and then rub in some skin food (you really need very little). Then brush my lather on top and shave. This both lubricates and provides protection. It really is superb - try it! This will never be out of my rotation again.

I have tried that using Proraso on the last pass and it wirks well, must give it a go with some skinfood. Thanks for the handy tip.

Audiolab said:
chicken neck said:

I have tried that using Proraso on the last pass and it wirks well, must give it a go with some skinfood. Thanks for the handy tip.

That is a very handy tip and not something I'd ever thought of doing before. I'm going to give it a go on my next shave.

The Sandalwood Skin Food is my favourite one and as others have said, a little goes a very long way.

chicken neck said:

Don't know whether it was down to this technique or whether I was just being more careful than normal, but I tried this tonight, and I had better shave than usual.

I do a 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) plus touchups (mainly my chin area), and I put some of my ASB on my skin before the 3rd lathering and before the touchup lathering. Of course this is only a sample of one, so I'll be gathering more datapoints next week, but it looks like there might be something to this...

I have did this three times and had three good results. To vary the product I tired it with a smearing of Proraso Pre/Post and also got a darn fine shave. I am sure it was Boab who I first seen mention doing this and I never thought to try it. There are more variables to tweak and try but yes there seems to be something in adding that extra lubrication layer before the final pass.

Back
Top Bottom