Skin Changing (?)

My skin seems to have gone off Prosaso Red aftershave - it was one of my go-to products, but recently it seems to leave my face a bit blotchy and puffy. It also feels sticky, like it’s not been absorbed.

If I wash it off and use another product my face recovers almost immediately, so I’m sure it is the AS.

Any ideas what could have happened? Skin changed? Bad bottle? The apocalypse?

Annoying....

Lots of people have adverse reactions to synthetic sandalwood fragrance oil. Prorazo red is one of the few soaps that still use natural sandalwood, and I assume the same is true of the aftershave. They may have switched to a cheaper synthetic alternative, which would explain your skin issues.

Other than that, no clue.

My skin seems to have gone off Prosaso Red aftershave - it was one of my go-to products, but recently it seems to leave my face a bit blotchy and puffy. It also feels sticky, like it’s not been absorbed.

If I wash it off and use another product my face recovers almost immediately, so I’m sure it is the AS.

Any ideas what could have happened? Skin changed? Bad bottle? The apocalypse?

Annoying....

Has it happened a few times or just the once? I sometimes react to a product I have used before without any problems then the next time is it ok.

A shame to hear. I'd find something to replace it with and give it to someone or PIF it.

I’ll probably not pass it on in case there’s something wrong with it.

I have other AS that still work well, Old Spice especially, so I’ll give it a break then try it in a while to see what happens....

Lots of people have adverse reactions to synthetic sandalwood fragrance oil. Prorazo red is one of the few soaps that still use natural sandalwood, and I assume the same is true of the aftershave. They may have switched to a cheaper synthetic alternative, which would explain your skin issues.

Other than that, no clue.

Just checked their website. It dies say "enriched with sandalwood oil" which I would assume isn't synthetic

It's odd the shaving cream yesterday and ended up with a few spots? Coincidence??

Just checked their website. It dies say "enriched with sandalwood oil" which I would assume isn't synthetic

It's odd the shaving cream yesterday and ended up with a few spots? Coincidence??
The EU is very strict on ingredient labeling for cosmetics, perfumes, and such-like things. That phrase "enriched with sandalwood oil" means there is real sandalwood oil in there.

It does not mean there is NO synthetic sandalwood in there at all, which, given rising costs and the expense of sandalwood oil, wouldn't surprise me at all to find out they decided to give it a little boost with some synthetic sandalwood as well, possibly even boosting that amount while decreasing the real stuff.

This is the ingredient list of my old tub that I've been working on for about 10 years.16835378412327014769936742490623.jpg
There's a number of ingredients in there that can cause people to have mild reactions and sensitivity issues. I can count at least five that can cause skin sensitivity issues.

The EU is very strict on ingredient labeling for cosmetics, perfumes, and such-like things. That phrase "enriched with sandalwood oil" means there is real sandalwood oil in there.

It does not mean there is NO synthetic sandalwood in there at all, which, given rising costs and the expense of sandalwood oil, wouldn't surprise me at all to find out they decided to give it a little boost with some synthetic sandalwood as well, possibly even boosting that amount while decreasing the real stuff.

This is the ingredient list of my old tub that I've been working on for about 10 years.View attachment 105299
There's a number of ingredients in there that can cause people to have mild reactions and sensitivity issues. I can count at least five that can cause skin sensitivity issues.

Something somewhere is upsetting my skin. Plan is to go back to tried and tested products I know are fine then change one thing at a time (rather than my usual change loads in one go approach) to isolate it.

Whatever it is, it is mild. I can was my face and it stops instantly.

@OrangeSport From what I've read, allergies do often develop over time, so this might be a case of that.
Although a silent change of ingredients (or their ratio) seems likely, manufacturers do it all the time.

Was it a new bottle of aftershave?

@OrangeSport From what I've read, allergies do often develop over time, so this might be a case of that.
Although a silent change of ingredients (or their ratio) seems likely, manufacturers do it all the time.

Was it a new bottle of aftershave?

Yes, newish.

Bought end of last year. Used about a 1/4 of it...

I remember one time when I foolishly ordered a bottle of Aramis aftershave from Amazon. The fact that it was a bit cheaper than most shops was the main thing that tempted me. The fact that it was so cheap should have told me something, though. It brought my face and neck out in an itchy rash, which had never happened before with any other aftershave. People thought that I had acne, because it looked like my face and neck was covered in little red spots. I didn't want to go to all the faff of sending it back, so I just emptied it down the sink and threw the empty bottle in my recycling bin.

That was one of the main reasons why I stopped shopping online. I found it hard to trust the internet after that. I have since continued to buy Aramis from shops and it hasn't happened again. I bought it cheaply online and got my fingers burnt as a result. Since then, I buy ALL of my aftershave/EDTs from shops, and I have never had any more problems since. I have learned my lesson. I trust shops and value shops a lot more now.

Back
Top Bottom