Six Weeks in SuperMax

It seems there's a Blue+

Super-max_blue_plus.jpg

Incoming!

You have to hand it to the marketing team at Supermax. All they had to do was add the word 'plus' to an existing product to generate new sales.

Saying that, I'd have been satisfied with a different colour...

I used an old Super-Max Platinum today and it was a decent shave. Not great, but decent. I am guessing they make just two. maybe three, different blades as does Treet. The rest is a "shell game". Then again, I think Gillette just makes three different DE blades.

I used an old Super-Max Platinum today and it was a decent shave. Not great, but decent. I am guessing they make just two. maybe three, different blades as does Treet. The rest is a "shell game". Then again, I think Gillette just makes three different DE blades.

Thinking back to this, having looked at Treet in some depth and come up with: one carbon blade < the Classic, blued for the BB and refined highly for the Durasharp; one stainless and one platinum/chrome ... I'm looking at this afresh and thinking:

Most definitely, one stainless blade, possibly a couple of finishes ... like stropped and double-stropped < Blade 1
Chromium blade: Zorrik Talvar/Supreme, Vidyut Super Chromium & SuperMax Chromium (yellow) < Blade 2
Titanium edged, sold as the Blue Diamond (Titanium), which became the Zorrik & SuperMax Titanium < Blade 3
Original Platinum is legacy and highly improved as the Super Platinum (, which became the Blue Diamond (Platinum) < Blade 4
All other Super Platinum are the same blade (as that) ... whether Zorrik, Vidyut or SuperMax (Diamond Edge) < still Blade 4

Today I used an old Super Stainless (green & yellow) and it only confirmed for me what I remembered from years ago: it's their best blade IMO, but Gillette level not quite. YMMV.

OK, if your annointed winner, Super-Max Super Platinum, is discod. then what is its successor? :unsure:
The current market Blue Diamond Platinum, although it's a lot smoother which may be or may not be an improvement. The SuperMax Diamond Edge is presumably the same blade and I thought of the same standard. The Zorrik and Vidyut brand Super Platinum do not meet that standard.

I just remembered that I had some NOS Super-Max in storage and pulled out a tuck of the Tiger Super Platinum to use today. Purportedly this is the same as their discod. Super Platinum and is discod. as well....................with good reason I might add. Although it gave a DFS, it shaves "harder" than the Treet Platinum varieties IMO. Reminds me of the Gillette Latin American made blades of the 80's & 90's. I think that today the blade coating process with PTFE and other variants is better thereby making a better shave. Just my opinion and worth what you were charged.

For my mug the Super-Max Super Stainless is the best of the line that I have used (so far). YMMV.

Yeah, both their sputtering process and coatings have improved in the short time that I've been traditional shaving. Given that (I think) I prefer straight-up stainless to platinum (which do tend to be smoother), I wonder if my liking for the older Super Platinum is down to how the shave feels because of the age of the blade.

OP, you were right in that the Super Platinum is the best. I used one today and it's right up there with other top tier blades. Now if we could only decipher what name it has "morphed" into. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom