Single edge razor of the day.

Tuesday 19th October

AM-JKLXY4huJfhhW-nlTk822HYU5F-nYuW7siDJpAT2sqJF8tCHP7Doi9Nd4DdoD04nTmuDCIbrhAFtGR9iHaOlJ9tYwgjSHD0cyeaSg5_gN6G2B-mS5MX8hvm2WZ64yup-RfkyMTOBCinpNsiF8ZDTaOSgyeA=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Moon Soaps Sorrento
Kent Infinity+ Silvertex
Ever-Ready 1914 (Late Model)
GEM by Personna (2) Shimmed
Pashana Original Aftershave

Glorious shave with the lovely "little lather catcher".

Wednesday 20th October

AM-JKLXEGrDqYBBdMvBO6qI1ngTfz2Ch2sWcZoumLpGN3CUww8RfD-LA9c86lbQ3G5N7-mgQs4HEoK8GZoSvVqHbm8S08MyJ23KwOG3v5ZVwTNvC3t3vLj7aiwhPmYUvnqD5yi678_qkkZ8kUhofihMpyN_eLw=s800

Boots Shaving Bowl (Vintage 1980s)
Muhle Silvertip Fibre 23mm
Ever-Ready 1907
GEM by Personna (3) Shimmed
YSL Kouros Aftershave

For the regular 1912, 1914, 1924 from the earlier period I like to shim under the modern GEM blade with half a GEM spine to make up the profile of vintage blades. In the older razors like the Damaskeene or earlier, I use a full spine beneath and it certainly restores the correct angle in this glorious lather catcher - it's gentle and absolutely intuitive. Glorious!

Thursday 21st October

AM-JKLWglpiUazZL1g1n6KBJls646vf_JExbhbF3T5s7zjaj6zNH7s23fNvIgTpWUsXu0y6aeosg5C7f8wwdjlawLA32Drr01rsGyWvCpM5Hg2SXvajb3Lmckix0u_kaAdPq8d1bdgpRSx2IxIas39m4Jxgzhg=s800

OSP Sandalwood Shaving Soap
Muhle Silvertip Fibre 23mm
Ever-Ready 1912 (Australian w/Bakelite Handle)
GEM by Personna (4) Shimmed
Imperial Leather Aftershave (Vintage)

I have a LOT of 1912s and I don't think I've shaved with this one before - it's one with a peculiar bakelite handle that you'd be quick to jump to the conclusion that it was not original and is someone's vintage customisation. But, when you have one and then you see another, and then you see another with a cardboard shipper that pictures that very head and handle, it's safe to say that it is original. Like every other 1912, it shaved just the same ... sheer perfection, to my face. My favourite razor, whatever the handle.

Saturday 23rd October

AM-JKLXxW-D0_bqJ4zHagMRL8OaslNa4k9at85nX5i6-RsYqBB367gpXJ2OEEBgjcTt-QT0MJsph5vuwDNDJ9KYERaGut9RnA7xe_DUyk8BLLLEk9pt5MCb66HNCjrkwdVbqp6SbAUJuk8qwQqRZUqnXP8x7kw=w1200

TFS Traditional Line (Green) Shaving Soap
Vie-Long American Style w/Haryali Synthetic 22mm
Ever-Ready 1912 (Late Model)
GEM by Personna (6)
Floid (Black) Aftershave

Another excellent (as was yesterday, although I didn't say so), if mild shave with this late model 1912 ... no shim necessary as by this point, the spines were already slimmer.

Saturday 23rd October

AM-JKLXxW-D0_bqJ4zHagMRL8OaslNa4k9at85nX5i6-RsYqBB367gpXJ2OEEBgjcTt-QT0MJsph5vuwDNDJ9KYERaGut9RnA7xe_DUyk8BLLLEk9pt5MCb66HNCjrkwdVbqp6SbAUJuk8qwQqRZUqnXP8x7kw=w1200

TFS Traditional Line (Green) Shaving Soap
Vie-Long American Style w/Haryali Synthetic 22mm
Ever-Ready 1912 (Late Model)
GEM by Personna (6)
Floid (Black) Aftershave

Another excellent (as was yesterday, although I didn't say so), if mild shave with this late model 1912 ... no shim necessary as by this point, the spines were already slimmer.
No shim necessary anyway, they didn't change any angles to suit spine thickness, blade angle to face is governed by you, not the razor. I realize that the keyboard warriors have preached many fixes for problems that don't exist, but I don't buy the snake oil.

No shim necessary anyway, they didn't change any angles to suit spine thickness, blade angle to face is governed by you, not the razor. I realize that the keyboard warriors have preached many fixes for problems that don't exist, but I don't buy the snake oil.
Have you tried it? Sceptical myself but it does actually make a difference ... even for someone who takes their angle from the cap rather than the comb.

It smooths out the earlier models and my comment was made (over two days using these later models) because I popped a shim into the one yesterday and found it almost didn't want to cut. I have over 100 1912s meticulously catalogued and it's not simply an issue of minute material differences between each and every one of them; there are actual shaving differences between specific eras (conclusively know 1920s to 1930s to 1940s to 1950s) and specific markets.

So, either the razor was simply made progressively milder and/or our use of blades with thinner spines in older razors produces a more harsh shave. Simply put, the newer ones are milder than the older ones and that has to be down to either material differences in the razor or the angle produced by the spine, however minute.

Have you tried it? Sceptical myself but it does actually make a difference ... even for someone who takes their angle from the cap rather than the comb.

It smooths out the earlier models and my comment was made (over two days using these later models) because I popped a shim into the one yesterday and found it almost didn't want to cut. I have over 100 1912s meticulously catalogued and it's not simply an issue of minute material differences between each and every one of them; there are actual shaving differences between specific eras (conclusively know 1920s to 1930s to 1940s to 1950s) and specific markets.

So, either the razor was simply made progressively milder and/or our use of blades with thinner spines in older razors produces a more harsh shave. Simply put, the newer ones are milder than the older ones and that has to be down to either material differences in the razor or the angle produced by the spine, however minute.
I'll have to take your word for it, I can't tell the difference between them except for the occasional one with the stops farther forward on the comb. I can't tell the difference between bumps and no bumps on the Micromatic either. I shave with the blade, the razor is just a handle.

Back
Top Bottom