Single Edge Blades

I've recently acquired an Ever Ready razor and was generously PIFd some single edge blades for it.
These blades will run out fairly soon and was wondering about replacements.

This may well be a silly question but I'm man enough to ask it and happy to waste your time reading it :) A popular auction website has a decent enough range of single edge blades on offer, but aside from the ASR and Derby products there are a lot of no name single edge blades on offer which are advertised for cleaning, scraping, etc. and arts and crafts uses.
Can anyone say whether blades marked out in this way are suitable for shaving? I was concerned they might be overly rough or something (I guess I could just strop them). Is there any other reason(s) while they might be unsuitable for shaving or are they marked out as in this way simply because they're not commonly used for shaving these days and the blurb is just reflecting their most common usage?

I beleave the ones for crafts and such are thicker, so more rigid and duller than a shaving blade so arnt suitable. Connaught stocks single edge blades.

I get my blades from here and everything is scientific quality so it will be much sharper..IMO...
I still have to palm strop the blades so the dragging down my face doesnt hurt.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/pro ... lades.aspx</a><!-- m -->

B

Scraping is an awfully well chosen desciption.

If you want to try them they often have them in pharmacies as a three pack for a pound or so.

Stick with ones marked for shaving or lab use, they focus more on the cutting and less on the scraping.

The ones on fleabay are indeed for craft use, window scraping etc, they are sharp, but not good for shaving, they will leave your face red raw and sore.....

As "ids" said, the one's from connaught are what you need, i use them myself in my ever ready SE Razor, they are good as gold and if you get the technique right with the razor give an awsome shave......

http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

I agree with Ian. They might cost a few pence more than you would pay on ebay, but at least with Connought you know what you're getting.

My reasoning is that I am way too hadsome to take chances with the skin on my face! :cool:

Professor Blighty said:
I agree with Ian. They might cost a few pence more than you would pay on ebay, but at least with Connought you know what you're getting.

My reasoning is that I am way too hadsome to take chances with the skin on my face! :cool:

"Way too handsome "? ............. I'm with what that Professor said !!!

JohnnyO. :cool:

JohnnyO said:
Professor Blighty said:

"Way too handsome "? ............. I'm with what that Professor said !!!

JohnnyO. :cool:
If that's the criterion I may as well go for the arts and crafts blades :)

NotTheStig said:
there are a lot of no name single edge blades on offer which are advertised for cleaning, scraping, etc. and arts and crafts uses.
Can anyone say whether blades marked out in this way are suitable for shaving?

If like me you've been tempted to try the single-edge 'craft' blades that look very similar to standard shaving blades, DON'T! - You'll rip yourself to shreds as they're simply not sharp enough and not coated,not to mention possible chemical reation on skin as these are not certified for this purpose.

I just bought a ten pack from Connaughts and I´m going to try them out with my Ever Ready I bought for scraps (1 £). Should be a nice change of pace, I hope :D

Back
Top Bottom