Simpsons Super Badger vs. Best Badger

So my brush collection is ever expanding and I've started buying a few Simpsons brushes. Up until now I've only really had New Forest and Neep brushes, both makes of brush which I really like. These range across Pure Badger, Best Badger Super Badger, Silvertip, Extra Silvertip.

My first ever Simpsons brush was a Chubby 2 in Best, and this is a fantastic brush, I can always generate an excellent lather with it and it sits as one of my favourite brushes.

I have acquired a few more Simpsons Best Badger brushes and I have found them all to be fantastic.

As I use New Forest Super Badger brushes and find them fantastic I decided to get a couple of Simpsons Super Badger, the PJ2 and the PL8. I can't seem to make these brushes work for me, I just cannot generate a decent lather, no matter whether I face lather or bowl lather. The lather just ends up thin and quickly disappears. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, is it to do with my fairly hard water, I just don't know. What I do know is for me the Best Badger works best.

How do others find the difference between Best and Super Badger?

I have a few Simpsons of various grades and I can't say I noticed a difference is lather creation as such. People say the the gauge of super is thinner and as a result there is more hair in the knot. Personally I haven't noticed this as my best hair brushes are pretty much, if not the same as super.

I do think that you need to get the balance of water/soap or cream right. A good way is to get the brush pretty much dry and use more product and take it from there.

If your getting thin lather, you maybe struggling to get to grips with the density and the lather you make is staying in the brush. To overcome this, it's more product and water.

Again I've never had this issue but it is something you should try out.

I've found Super's can be a finer hair as well as come more densely packed , if so you'll probably need to break them in a bit more and use more product than usual.

I too used several Simpsons for my brush blog. If you are building a collection then a Super Badger or two will be in there for balance. Purely on the basis of value for money and effectiveness it's no contest. If I hadn't got carried away and into the business, I could have settled on using the Duke 3 Best badger as my go to for the rest of my days.

Thanks all for your replies.

It looks like I need to use a bit more product to get the best out of the Super Badgers, and they may require a bit more breaking in.

I have a Duke 3 Best Badger on the way, should hopefully be here tomorrow, looking forward to that one.

Lose the beard said:
I have a Duke 3 Best Badger on the way, should hopefully be here tomorrow, looking forward to that one.

A few thoughts would be welcome... if you have the time. I've got a Simpson's Colonel X2L and thinking of getting another Simpson's brush at some time. I'm well served by my small collection of brushes... so I suppose I'm looking for something that fills a gap I don't realise I have yet!

WiffWaff said:
Lose the beard said:

A few thoughts would be welcome... if you have the time. I've got a Simpson's Colonel X2L and thinking of getting another Simpson's brush at some time. I'm well served by my small collection of brushes... so I suppose I'm looking for something that fills a gap I don't realise I have yet!

I will attempt to do a side by side comparison with the Colonel X2L once it arrives and has been broken in.

Re: RE: Simpsons Super Badger vs. Best Badger

antdad said:
I've found Super's can be a finer hair as well as come more densely packed , if so you'll probably need to break them in a bit more and use more product than usual.

Spot on, that.

What antdad said as well... Maybe you get faster/easier lather due to more air flow in the best hair in very hard water areas? A theory anyway (I live in a _very_ soft water area). I love my super Simpson brushes though and think I feel a difference, hence I only have one in best left, but that brush is so huge and special it really can't be compared to any other brush, I think.

Greetings

I am the least qualified person on this forum to comment about badger brushes having only ever owned one which I had to bin after many years of service when it turned into a doughnut with just a rim of hair around the outside (like my head)

I do however feel entitled to comment on lather in general. A few weeks or perhaps months ago Lindyhop66 said, "swirl your brush 100 times on the puck". At the time I thought this was ridiculous but I tried it anyway. It cured all my lather problems straight away by simply getting three times as much soap on the brush as I had been using. I now always do just that 20 clock wise and 20 anticlock. until I reach 100.

I always grate or press my sticks into a container, if of course you face lather by rubbing a shave stick on your face you need to adjust the amount you rub on, double or treble it.

If you are a cream user use lots! My water is very hard and I find I need lots and lots of soap/cream and 100 swirls on the puck is not a bit too much.
Thank you lindyhop66 for this excellent tip which I have never forgotten.

Regards
Dick.

I haven't really bothered trying to get these to work with soaps, I'm sticking to creams for now. I have better success with creams generally, mainly as I use them more often so have more practice.
I have no problem lathering with any of my other brushes, just my 2 Simpson Super Badgers. Oh well, I have a long weekend ahead,the weather looks rubbish so I will practice lathering.

I only have a Chubby 1 in the super and as I live in the Thames area my water is really hard.
I'm finding I have to use a far bit of a product to achieve a lather in a bowl and creams tend to be easier to lather up for me.
I am amazed though when I squeeze the brush due to the amount of lather held in. I often forget about this as I try to whip up the last bit on my face like a Tasmanian devil.

Back
Top Bottom