Simfix Grosvenor LE back in stock!

I am also partial to a bit of face lathering. However, that is only for the first pass. The remaining passes consist of paint strokes to spread the already made lather around as needed. I would need to change brushes inbetween pass's if i was going to bump & grind each pass. Or, i would start off with a softer feeling brush like a well broken boar or a silvertip.

I have no idea why a brush would get more uncomfortable during subsequent unless you are just over doing it and making your skin sore. Brushes usually get softer as they splay and become more engorged with lather.

I agree with fozz you should be painting the lather on for subsequent passes having built enough lather on the face and in the brush during initial face lather, no need to be scrubbing continuously.

I agree with fozz you should be painting the lather on for subsequent passes having built enough lather on the face and in the brush during initial face lather, no need to be scrubbing continuously.

I never actually knew this! I will pay more attention to my subsequent passes in future.......

antdad said:
I have no idea why a brush would get more uncomfortable during subsequent unless you are just over doing it and making your skin sore. Brushes usually get softer as they splay and become more engorged with lather.

Like I said, I go very close. Yeah, maybe there's no need, but I like the fact that the shave will last 2-3 days.

Maybe I over-emphasised this bit. I'm not exfoliating my skin down to the bone.... there's no blood in the sink (that I've noticed!). I'm not in extreme pain.

It's just that I can feel the brush begin to feel a little uncomfortable. It's not pain - just a kind of tender feeling. Heck, maybe I'm just a big girl who has sensitive skin.

Anyway, just goes to show how we all shave differently and have different requirements of a brush!

John

I bought the brush from John for my blog.

Here it is alongside a Simpsons PJ 2 with the same "Super" 2 band knot:

DSCN1206.jpg

Both these brushes are supposed to be 21 mm knots with a loft of 50 mm.

The PJ2 is exactly that. The Grosvenor has a loft of 51 mm but the nucleus sits just above the head of the handle - about 3/4 mm, and it makes a big difference. The Grosvenor is floppy compared with the PJ2.

I tested the Grosvenor and I was disappointed with the quality of the hair. I agree with John. This brush is the most prickly two band I have tested. It really does illustrate that even brushes made from the same grade of hair will vary according to the specific batch of hair available at the time to make the brush head. And the knot is not necessarily made in exactly the same way each time. It's what hand made brushes are all about. It is not possible to obtain absolute consistency. That's why reviews can sometimes be misleading. The brush varies and so do the preferences of the reviewer.

A point about pricing. This brush was $90 in the USA.

The Vulfix 404 which has the same handle is less than £10 in the UK. The only difference is the hair. That's quite a mark up.

On the other hand, the PJ2 which has the same hair is priced at £103 in the UK. So it's quite a mark up to have the Simpson handle.

It's all academic because the 2 band Grosvenor was a one off. But there are some interesting issues here.

Interesting points Fido.

I hope after some more use it softens up for you.

I just received a CH2 Best (my third CH2!) and it's the nicest one yet - lovely compact short knot and soft tips with just a tiny bit of scritch, but not too much. Much nicer than the Grosvenor's tips.

I reckon Simpsons' Best grade is probably the best value among top name brushes at the moment!

John

jhclare said:
Interesting points Fido.

I hope after some more use it softens up for you.

I just received a CH2 Best (my third CH2!) and it's the nicest one yet - lovely compact short knot and soft tips with just a tiny bit of scritch, but not too much. Much nicer than the Grosvenor's tips.

I reckon Simpsons' Best grade is probably the best value among top name brushes at the moment!

John

What was wrong with the other two John? Shedder? Flaccid? Bad haircut?

Back
Top Bottom