Simfix Grosvenor LE back in stock!

I'd hurry up if you want one....

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bullgooseshaving.net/sigrleintwob.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bullgooseshaving.net/sigrleintwob.html</a><!-- m -->

John

Are you getting one John?

Wait a minute, wasn't it limited edition last time?

I've seen it somewhere before...

file.php

This looks interesting <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bullgooseshaving.net/sido57intwob.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bullgooseshaving.net/sido57intwob.html</a><!-- m -->. for that price I think I would prefer the Emporer 3 .

Lol!

I'm going to put it head to head with the Fido 2201. Very interested to see how they compare!

I hope the new batch is identical to the old lot that everyone raves about.

John

Audiolab said:
Didn't think he shipped outside CONUS.

Good to see you are still infected with SBAD like the rest of us.

Yep, not frequenting the forums as much these days but am still tempted every once in a while.

Bullgoose is great - he also stocks the great French soaps like IK (and the balm, which is fantastic), Pre de Provence and Provence Sante.

John

SiR-ed8 said:
antdad said:
Are you getting one John?

Wait a minute, wasn't it limited edition last time?

I've seen it somewhere before...

file.php

These were "limited" to 90 of them IIRC.

I was being a little facetious Ivan, that is actually a picture of my own 404/TGN finest combo brush that preceded the Grosvenor L.E.

I've seen a better picture of the Douglas and I've changed my mind about it. With that sort of bloom I think it is heavily packed, looks very nice though the price is steep.

DouglasBrush_DEF.jpg

Well, I received mine a few days ago, after having to pay the usual import fee! Very annoying, I don't know why I keep ordering from the US.

First impressions - nice size (although larger than I was expecting), very nice solid handle, comfortable to hold. Nice loft shape, similar semi-bulb shape to Fido's 2201.

On to the bristles, and this is where I've been very disappointed. They're longer than I was hoping, and very prickly! Good backbone, more "springy" than other brushes I've tried, but the tips are quite unpleasant, and remind me of what pure or low-end best feels like. Fine when painting to and fro, but uncomfortable in circular motions.

Hmmmm. :(

This is totally different to the Simpsons-made GT3 two-band I had a while back. That was REALLY stiff and dense, but did have soft tips right from the off. I found its shape too pointy though - if it had had a traditional Duke fan-shape I prob would have kept it.

So... again it seems that either one man's meat is another man's poison (see loads of positive reviews of this brush), or simply good old natural variation in badger hair. I was very surprised just how prickly it is, not what I was expecting and certainly not consistent with reviews I've read.

Fido's 2201 is FAR softer and more pleasant to use. I will use it again for a few days but I really cant see this improving much.

I'm taking a shaving sabbatical for the coming colder season (plus my other half wants me to grow a beard!) so this will probably appear on the B/S/T very soon.

John

John, i have a Shavemac 2 band & it was a prickly brush at first. I have found that a good 5min soak & lots of use it has calmed down. Or, maybe my skin grew accustomed to it. Either way I am glad I did not get rid.

Good luck with the beard. It will be a cold day in hell before I go back to that :lol:

John, we've been with you with most of your purchases and I never have any idea what you might like so I would just say don't judge it too early.

Contrary to what it may seem, I do know what I like! :eek:

I face lather, and spend a good 2-3 minutes building lather on my face. I also shave every 2-3 days, and I always do 4 passes. So my face sees a lot of brush, and I guess I'm harder than most on my skin in terms of passes/brush time.

So, for me, a brush has to feel comfortable throughout the shave, even on the final pass. Not many brushes I've tried achieve this!

The closest "ideal" brush for me so far is the 2201. It's dense but not a hog, it's firm enough for a nice massage,
but not too stiff to be uncomfortable, and has lovely lovely soft tips. Not to mention it looks great.

My only niggle is the handle shape (Persian jar style) isn't my favourite, but this has grown on me. :mrgreen:

The really dense Rooneys and Simpsons I had felt great on pass 1-2 but started to get uncomfortable by the end, with the exception of the three-band Stubby 2. That did have amazing soft tips.

The Grosvenor I have is prickly, prickly prickly. I really don't like the feel of it, like being jabbed with tiny needles. I do hope it starts behaving, as I love the handle.

John

Back
Top Bottom