Silly Question

I know this is going to sound daft, but why don't they put a small nut and bolt into straight razor scales at the pivot point, instead of a peened pin? Then you could remove the blade for cleaning, polishing and re-scaling easily, just by undoing the nut.

They could if they wanted knives have opening hexagon nuts on the opening pivot, it's a case of after you have taken the razor apart when you re-assemble just make sure you put a tiny touch of thread lock on it, I suppose there are custom made straight razor manufactures who do use decorative locking nuts.

Jamie

Professor Blighty said:
I know this is going to sound daft, but why don't they put a small nut and bolt into straight razor scales at the pivot point, instead of a peened pin? Then you could remove the blade for cleaning, polishing and re-scaling easily, just by undoing the nut.

It probably has to do with tradition and cost. I'm not sure what manufacturing of tiny bolts was like back in the 1900s, but I imagine it wasn't as simple as it is today. In addition, traditional pins are cheaper to make in material costs. Rods are virtually free and washers are a few cents. Not to mention I think even torx screws use washers these days.

In addition, its actually not absolutely necessary to clean in between the scales. Sure it gets dirty and if you don't dry your razor well, it will rust. However, I have yet to see an example of a razor that has rusted completely away at the pivot point. I imagine our forebears just thought that the scales would deteriorate before the tang. Thus, they would just replace the scales every so often and clean the razor then. Pure conjecture on my part. The most likely reason is that they just didn't care enough.

Arrowhead said:
Small Torx bolts are popular amongst many of the custom makers, that's what Gàbor uses on the Buddel razors like this one for instance.

I love torx. Although they do require tightening more often than I would like.

RE: Silly Question (Updated)

So, I had to have a go, didn't I?

[attachment=3621]

[attachment=3622]

[attachment=3623]

[attachment=3624]

Personally I like it, the blade is secure and doesn't flop around, and the scales can now be changed in about 20 seconds.

Attachments

• Screw pin 007.JPG
    Screw pin 007.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screw pin 008.JPG
    Screw pin 008.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screw pin 009.JPG
    Screw pin 009.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screw pin 010.JPG
    Screw pin 010.JPG