Shoes

I have two pairs of these.

50125_CCBK.jpg

And two pairs of these, and some old ones, that's the only shoes I have these days.

50125_CCGY.jpg
I have a couple of pairs
the last pair i had were for high insteps & man they are sooooo comfortable.

A pair of NPS brogues which are simply wonderful for what I paid (£90). Far cheaper than the Clarks equivalent and much superior
Barker cherry red Gibsons - Again a sale bargain
A pair of Joseph Cheaney black Gibsons - A steal at £6 from a charity shop
A pair of Berwick shoes brown country Gibsons - Sale items
A pair of 23 year old Doc Martens
A pair of Clarks boots which are supremely comfortable and just go on and on
2 pairs of Asics trainers which is the only brand I will buy on the trainer front

Out of the lot? The NPS brogues

View attachment 91407
23 year old Doc's....wonderful. Used to love my boots. Had to have them resoled many times?

Those Cheaneys were a steal, there is a Cheaneys shop behind Lloyds of London, the shoes in the window were unpriced, I went in and there was nothing below £350 and that was 10 years ago.

There is a YouTube channel that takes leather shoes apart and rebuilds them, you really see where your money goes on better shoes when you see them taken apart.
I have quite a few Cheaney's. Mostly sale items, but a couple of seconds.

Shoes are where it's at. Have many, many fine examples; Berluti (Classic Norwegian triple sole), Edward Green (Falkirk brogues in Chestnut, probably over 20 years' old), RM Williams (Chelsea Boots, one originally in kip brown but now with a highly polished patina, one in Dress Black leather), Alfred Sargent (Green suede Chukka Boots, one of only three ever made), many pairs of Cheaneys (Chukka boots in suede and embossed leather, Brogues, Cordoven, Suede Monks etc); then some more casual Clarks: Chelsea & Desert Boots and Fin's (no longer in existence) suede loafers in five different colours.

It does pain me that one day these will all probably be thrown away, as no one will appreciate their beauty and of course value. One of my gripes is that it has all now become a throwaway society; several pairs of my shoes are 20 or so years old and have been repaired several times and still look good and wear well, even though I need to either return them to the original manufacturers or send them to London to get them properly attended to. You simply cannot hand them to anyone unknown or a "Heel type bar etc" as they will totally ruin them by shaving off the welt etc, etc. There are really very very few skilled craftsmen who are now capable of carrying out good shoe repairs on quality shoes.

Needless to state, I won't be buying or needing any more!
I was googling shoes early this morning. M&S now do suedette shoes. Other stores such as Schuh do PU leather. I was surprised that Deichmann advertised real leather shoes a few years ago. I didn't realise fake leather and suede were a thing in shoes then...

Shoes are where it's at. Have many, many fine examples; Berluti (Classic Norwegian triple sole), Edward Green (Falkirk brogues in Chestnut, probably over 20 years' old), RM Williams (Chelsea Boots, one originally in kip brown but now with a highly polished patina, one in Dress Black leather), Alfred Sargent (Green suede Chukka Boots, one of only three ever made), many pairs of Cheaneys (Chukka boots in suede and embossed leather, Brogues, Cordoven, Suede Monks etc); then some more casual Clarks: Chelsea & Desert Boots and Fin's (no longer in existence) suede loafers in five different colours.

It does pain me that one day these will all probably be thrown away, as no one will appreciate their beauty and of course value. One of my gripes is that it has all now become a throwaway society; several pairs of my shoes are 20 or so years old and have been repaired several times and still look good and wear well, even though I need to either return them to the original manufacturers or send them to London to get them properly attended to. You simply cannot hand them to anyone unknown or a "Heel type bar etc" as they will totally ruin them by shaving off the welt etc, etc. There are really very very few skilled craftsmen who are now capable of carrying out good shoe repairs on quality shoes.

Needless to state, I won't be buying or needing any more!

There is a shop in Doncaster and I must say their renovation service is first class.

There is a shop in Doncaster and I must say their renovation service is first class.
They are few and far between; look after them, because before long they unfortunately will no longer be there. Yes, the bespoke shoemakers in London for the ultra rich will obviously survive, but the craftsmen, plying their trade for the very few will not.

This thread has sent me down a rabbit hole. My preferred footwear is Chukka Boots. I have a pair of Clarks which are about 6 years old, and in need of resoling. Now, thanks to this thread researching boots. A brave new world which I didn't know existed.

23 year old Doc's....wonderful. Used to love my boots. Had to have them resoled many times?

I remember back in the day I used to only wear Dr Martens on the construction sites constantly 5/6 days a week. I seem to remember they used to last me around 6/8 months before the cellular box like sole (which I believe was made of some sort of cardboard) started appearing through the inner sole and meant I was due for a new pair. I vividly remember chucking one pair into the skip and another worker was happily wearing them the next day! In those days (mid 70's) I don't believe resoling was possible and the boots were obviously not as expensive as they are now. I remember back then if the sole developed a split on the ribbed side, one was encouraged to use a hot knife, which was meant to effective seal up the split; never actually worked for me though.

23 years for DM's is some going, how and where are they resoled, do the soles come as complete new units and are they re stitched and glued onto the uppers? Merely as a matter of interest.

I own a lovely tan brogue by Oliver Sweeney and a pair of their black derby's..
Two pair of Russell & Bromley loafers ( a pair of light tan size10s which will be up for sale in April, when I get back to the UK).

Back
Top Bottom