Shoes

I've worn a pair of Loake semi-brogue shoes to death since 2012. They've been worn Monday-Friday, probably averaging 10,000 footsteps per day (if my Garmin activity tracker is anything to go by), and they've been re-soled twice. I don't think that they were ever the 'bee's knees' of half-decent shoes - Goodyear-welter leather but probably 'handcrafted' in India - but they opened my eyes having previously accepted that work shoes were disposable within six months.

They have been beaten and abused, having been worn for twelve hours a day, daily, without even the joys of decent cedar shoe trees until last year. The stitching of the brogue detailing is starting to come apart, the uppers are scratched and cracking where they've wrinkled, and they need resoling. I ought to accept that their time has come.

So what's next? I get the impression that I should really buy two pairs to alternate. What should I be looking for, including shoemakers, and what do I need to know? Very Top budget is £250/pair.

I've seen Loake described as 'Premier League' shoes - all be it the lower echelon of the Premier League. Personally I like them and wear them, and you can buy Loake made in England shoes which would fit your budget and which are regarded as a step up from their shoes that are made elsewhere.

I think Grenson would fit into your budget, but they big up their English heritage when in fact most of their popular shoes are not made in England - personally I'd rather have a pair of MIE Loake.

This is a good site:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/

I'd love to be able to afford some Trickers, or some Alden (I have owned some Alden boots previously).

I'm a big fan of Loake. I have 8 pairs, I think, so they get rested well between use. The 1880 range is very nice, but truth be told even the cheapest Indian made Loakes are very, very good shoes.

Having met Andrew Loake during a factory tour the company's passion is very apparent.

Loake and DMs are all I buy now.

I was going to create a thread about new work shoes and here it is!

Yes, I will be soon heading to St.James district and choosing my first pair of Loake's. I have Churches at the minute but I need at least two more pairs.

I mostly buy Barkers now. Any Northampton maker will be decent though.

At a minimum you need two pairs and cedar shoe tree. By wearing the same pair of shoes every day you are being brutal on them; shoes must be allowed to dry out between wearings. I have 4 pairs of Church and one pair of Bally dress shoes, which are going on 20 years old. All of them are stored with cedar shoe trees and a pair is never worn on consecutive days; also, they are cleaned and polished regularly. I expect to have these shoes for the rest of my life. I don't think Church fall in your price range, however, and since I've not bought dress shoes in the last 20 years I can't recommend another brand.

When i bought Churches I got also cedar shoe tree. I only wear them ocasionally but now when I need to wear that kind of shoes daily I know 2 pairs is a must. My wife have my budget of £200 for each pair.

I like chestnut colour. I hate black shoes.

Thanks, chaps.

I've now trebled my smart shoe collection. I've replaced the knackered pair and will be alternating between pairs of Loake black Oxford shoes and Tricker's black semi-brogues. Both Made in England and calf tan. Investment came to around £340, including two extra pairs of shoe trees. Bizarrely, I've also been gifted a pair of Barker tan-coloured brogues for my birthday next week.

A bloody expensive week, all told.

Expensive place this forum! I needed new shoes so called into Trickers on the way back from Cambridge. Double Leather (refers to the sole) espresso brown.
Ummm nice, suits you sir!
38ccebe89798e3f62f17aa47e32090d5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom