Shirt style for my age?

Ben Cooper said:
Drroly said:
Turnbull and Asser.

They will undoubtedly have styles that will fit your frame.

Aren't they really expensive?

You get what you pay for! I would suggest that a really nice shirt and tie can make even an average suit look sharp. An expensive suit with a cheap ill fitting shirt will always look cheap. Also, high-end shirts age nicely, even when the cuffs and collars start to wear out. Cheap shirts are a bin-job once they the cuffs start to fray. With that in mind, Turnbull and Asser shirts are a good investment.

However, if you don't want to spend that much, companies like TM Lewin, Harvie and Hudson, Gieves and Hawkes and Charles Tyrwhitt are all a good bet. I don't know if you work in London, but all of the above almost non-stop "sales," with their shirts working out at £20-25 each. I have a few H+H and CT shirts, and would say they are worth that money, but not the inflated RRP of £80 or so that they advertise. They try to trade on a Jermyn Street heritage, but it's all marketing spiel in their case. I think my H+H shirts were made in Turkey. Nothing wrong with it, just be aware what you're buying.

I don't think you would regret treating yourself to a Turnbull and Asser shirt though.

Non-iron is absolutely the first and only requirement - if you're the one doing the ironing. Or even if you give two hoots about the person who is doing the ironing.
As for those tight fitted shirts; maybe women these days (I mean young ones) like them. I don't. IMHO a man should not care too much (i.e. as much as a woman) about his appearance. He should also not be overly restricted by his clothing, as this might restrict him from changing plugs, chopping wood, and carrying heavy objects.
O.K. I don't often have a need for the wood chopping; but right now my boiler's broken, so I feel a need coming on. I'm sat here in fleecy dressing gown AND woolly jumper.

Just taken a look on the Turnbull and Asser site and made a custom shirt.

I absolutely love the idea of having made to measure shirts but £195 for one shirt is a huge amount in my mind.

It would have to be a plain white shirt for special occasions I guess!

Drroly said:
You get what you pay for! I would suggest that a really nice shirt and tie can make even an average suit look sharp. An expensive suit with a cheap ill fitting shirt will always look cheap. Also, high-end shirts age nicely, even when the cuffs and collars start to wear out. Cheap shirts are a bin-job once they the cuffs start to fray. With that in mind, Turnbull and Asser shirts are a good investment.

At one point you say you need a well fitting suit, but then don't mention that the shirt needs to fit too.

I'm confused.

Fit is everything. You can wear a $500 shirt that wears like a tent and you will still look like a fool wearing a tent. A $500 tent maybe, but a tent nonetheless. My opinion only.

soapalchemist said:
Non-iron is absolutely the first and only requirement - if you're the one doing the ironing. Or even if you give two hoots about the person who is doing the ironing.
As for those tight fitted shirts; maybe women these days (I mean young ones) like them. I don't. IMHO a man should not care too much (i.e. as much as a woman) about his appearance. He should also not be overly restricted by his clothing, as this might restrict him from changing plugs, chopping wood, and carrying heavy objects.
O.K. I don't often have a need for the wood chopping; but right now my boiler's broken, so I feel a need coming on. I'm sat here in fleecy dressing gown AND woolly jumper.

It only takes me 6-10 minutes to iron a shirt (most of the time involves manipulating the shirt over the board). Sure, you need a good iron and an equally good ironing board & cover, but it's well worth the investment.

There is a web based shirt maker - based in Far East somewhere that let you design your shirt online right down to the last detail - I mean button colour, button thread colour, different collar shapes, contrasting colours inside the cuffs and collar - everything is down to you. Its quite fun to play with. I had a couple made and and they were good quality well made. Cost about £35 per shirt and you can make a totally unique shirt. itailor.com :) Then I discovered Charles Tyrwhitt because I lack the creativity to think up my own :D

i now use pretty much only two kinds of shirt:

Charles Tyrwhitt (for work)

Ralph Lauren (for pleasure)

The CT shirts come in three fittings, classic (far too baggy, and for the fatties), Slim (a decent taper in the waist, but not so slim that I cant get away with having a bit of a tummy) and Tailored. The latter being very fitted and for the super slim. They are built fairly well in a decent range of fabrics and seem to have decent lasting power.

The T.M. Lewin shirts that myself and my colleagues have owned, have all shown very premature signs of wear around the collar and cuffs, with the colour wearing away to reveal white underneath. also the lewin fit is less ideal, classic being huge and slim being super slim (analogous to CT's tailored).

For casual, Ralph lauren (POLO) do Classic, Custom and Slim. Much the same as CT, the classic is comfortable, but not TOO baggy, the custom is nicely fitted and the slim is quite trim. I wear the custom fits in a medium, but can also get away with the classic fit in a small due to the different shapes. Their oxford shirts are superbly well made, and can be picked up at various outlets across the UK for good money (about £30-50 will buy a ralph lauren oxford that'll last years). TK MAXX also often stock the RL stuff.

RL polo shirts are also available in the same three fits and are well made. I have several.

Steer clear of the Lewin shirts, they don't iron well without a lot of effort and look crumpled quite quickly. I also find they have quite a big fit difference between the styles.

Back
Top Bottom