Shims in a razor

daz

OK guys, I have been seeing a few mentions of this and want to know more as I am going to try it in one or two of my gillettes.
Questions:
I just take an old blade and cut the sharp stuff off to make a shim?
Holding razor handle with the head pointing to the sky does the shim go below or above the good blade?

In my mind making the shim narrower and placing it underneath would cause it to be milder as it would cause the good blade to curl a little, making it a wee bit wider would cause it to flatten out and be a bit more aggressive?

Time for some experimentation!

Any thoughts or input much appreciated

I found this thread on another forum, which I followed.

http://shavenook.com/thread-shim-a-razor

Seems to improve the EJ89 I use greatly, I won't shave without one now. Really improved my shave.

Tried this with a Feather AS-D1 but even three shims made sod all difference.

This has piqued my interest again though. Am going to try it tonight with a fat handle Tech.

Tall_Paul said:
Tried this with a Feather AS-D1 but even three shims made sod all difference.

This has piqued my interest again though. Am going to try it tonight with a fat handle Tech.

That'll be interesting... might try it in my own Fat handled Tech

From what I have read it does work in a TTO, but the only way to find out is by trying?
Only managing a shave every other night at the moment so will be Friday before I get a chance to try. The feather artist is on the menu tonight

I tried two shims in a Canadian fat handled Tech.

Unbelievable difference! Best shave I've ever had with a Tech (though I have a feeling the Canadian 1932 ones are a bit more aggressive anyway).

I actually got a weeper on my chin! From a Tech!

Apart from that, it was a great result. Really smooth finish.

I am using 2 shims in an EJ89 and it makes a world of difference. It mows down the stubble with far less effort and no soreness. I had almost given up on the razor before that as being too tame. I've since bought a few more aggressive razors, but whilst efficient they do leave me a bit raw. At the moment my shimmed EJ89 is the favorite.

Hiya,

Holy crap!!!!!!!!! A thread about shims and no Graeme posts. Now what is up with that do you think?

I am guessing Matron is screwing around with his meds again. I hope she gets em right soon and he posts some stuff about something dear to his heart.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom