Shaving top lip area

I'm now on my sixth shave with the straight razor. I'm now satisfied with all areas accept the top lip area.

My routine is: first pass WTG all areas, second pass ATG except XTG on my top lip.
It does seem disheartening to use the Mach3 here ATG to get a BBS shave.

I've attempted fools pass on upper lip but the blade really dragged so I stopped. I've emulated one youtube vid technique where the demonstrator holds the blade with two hands for stability. Any other technique to consider?

images

No?

Vic,

I employ XTG on lip areas #3 and #6 all the time. It's just matter of finding right way to stretch the skin. I use the stretching hand just above the cheek bone or side of upper lip or chin areas to stretch towards East ( for right upper lip/#3 ) as if to force one side of your face to smile if you will. Now do so with the other stretching hand and this time stretch the skin towards West ( for left upper lip/#6 ). The key is to make sure your stretching. This way the hair is lifted and cutting edge slices those whiskers away effectively. Bottom line, you want to stretch in the opposite direction of where you're shaving.

This is only permissible for me with the very best of razors/sharpness/smoothness, but I advocate pinching the spine between thumb/index finger of the 'off' hand, practically pinning the spine atop the skin level, and pressing straight down as you move from the bottom of the upper lip area to the top of it.

It is the hardest thing to do w/ a straight for my money, but hours later it feels notably smoother when properly executed.

Back
Top Bottom