Shaving revalation

Today my balsa and fixcut gold crayon arrived today so i thought id give some stropping a go.

Wow i managed a dfs in one pass with bbs achievable with enough practice, no razor not even my rasurpur ti has shaved this close clearly this is the first razor i've used to have been sharpened this fine, one pass so far and it was oh so smooth and effortless id highly recommend anyone to at least give it a shot.

Fixcut is around .5/.6 micron so similar to cromox

Oddly when i first stropped i thought id mullered the edge, when i ran my finger along it felt like id damaged the edge i was gutted but i though wth i have to give it a try and now im converted.

Also my genco 'easy aces' arrived today and she's gorgeous i can't wait to put an edge on her seeing as it's a nos razor anyway.

Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man, a character called Bill Door as Death sharpening his scythe:

"Bill Door took the rag and wiped it gently along the blade.
Miss Flitworth reached the bottom of the bag, and pulled out a swatch of white
cloth.
YES?
'Silk,' she said softly. 'Finest white silk. The real stuff. Never worn.'
She sat back and stared at it.
After a while he took it tactfully from her fingers.
THANK YOU.
'Well now,' she said, waking up. 'That's it, isn't it?'
When he turned the blade, it made a noise like whommmm. The fires of the forge
were barely alive now, but the blade glowed with razor light.
'Sharpened on silk,' said Miss Flitworth. 'Who'd believe it?'
AND STILL BLUNT.
Bill Door looked around the dark forge, and then darted into a corner.
'What have you found?'
COBWEB.
There was a long thin whine, like the torturing of ants.
'Any good?'
STILL TOO BLUNT.
She watched Bill Door stride out of the forge, and scuttled after him. He went
and stood in the middle of the yard, holding the scythe blade edge-on to the
faint, dawn breeze.
It hummed.
'How sharp can a blade get, for goodness' sake?'
IT CAN GET SHARPER THAN THIS."

He sharpens it on sunlight in the end, but the text formatting is all weird. Buy the book, it's a good read.

Used some cro ox a week or two ago and was rather impressed. I've never been convinced of the edge on my W&B - seemed to be a little smoother after playing with it on the C12k + slurry, my only hone with minimal improvement. The cro ox made a huge difference. Some .5-1 diamond paste then the cro ox seems even better again. It seems so easy, but I really do need to pick some decent hones and something my skills on them, I can't for the life of me recall the word I'm looking for.

cheese_dave said:

Duur yeah sorry i did mean to say flexcut anyway it's similar to chromox, i just thought wth i've nothing to lose and if i balls up the edge i have other razors to fall back on.

It seriously impressed me on how fast it took my whiskers off, even now stubble is barely noticeable.

So you use .1 micron diamond paste, might have to give that a go at some point, anyway antdad if you find your razor isn't enough id advise giving this a shot.

cheese_dave said:
Huxley is insane anyway

Hey i'll have you know i resemble that remark. :x

antdad said:
A hanging hair test on a spider's web and sharpening by sunlight? That's all I need.

Don't you sharpen yours on moonlight Tony?

;)

And Dave, your avatar is upsetting me. I'm typing from behind the sofa.

I'm wary of this pasted strop business, mind you I did have a stick of Grelot compound at work for strop dressing and it did seem pretty good for carving tools. A Thuringian stone seems to do the job all right for me.

Anyway, Cheese Dave's thoughts on advanced sharpening set me to thinking about heat treatment. Assuming that you've done the obvious and made the spine out of horse shoe nails and the cutting edge from, well, a razor, apparently the thing to do is quench the thing in the blood of three willing pagans, and then it's helpful if the temper is drawn a little in St Elmo's Fire. Then you can worry about the sharpening.

Back
Top Bottom