Shaving quandry

huxley said:
Thanks it's just a bit frustrating, i have decided to wait for the other razor to arrive and continue with the gd, the ti can stay in the drawer in the meantime until i feel happy enough to hone it or failing that send it off to neil who im sure is more than capable.

I'll also focus more on pre shave prep, i think using a de made me a bit lazy see with a de im good neigh damn good and that in turn made me complacent and perhaps a little bit cocky as i could guarantee a bbs every time, the straight has clearly knocked me back onto terra firma. :lol:

That he is fella,

With what you have given in description to your beard type, do you shave daily or every other? I’ve found that when my face is going through a sensitive faze a few days gap between shaving (longer stubble) facilitates a smoother shave.

Since switching to DE shaving my pre-shave routine has become as important a step as the shave itself, don’t throw money at pre-shave products until you’ve tried using your soap or cream of choice as such in that routine with a hot face cloth.

Good luck fella.

Thanks.

I was shaving every day but i have now reduced that to at least every other day now my technique is much better my skin thanks me for it plus as im sure you've found you get a better shave for it.

I do need to tidy up with a de sometimes my beard can grow back slightly uneven if i have a bad day which in turn makes the next shave just as bad as i end up with uneven areas messing up the blade angle i need to use.

Hot face cloth i cba with takes too much time i believe real shaving products have a hot face towel cream that's meant to work incredibly well, and it's cheap!! so i'll nip into asda at some point im sure they sell it there, it's probably a mix of prep and a razor in need of sharpening either way i've a lot to learn, i think what half of the problem is my listening to b&b members too much, they say you never use pressure to hone razor well i did with the gd this time and lo and behold i got a very good edge so i'll just disregard what they suggest and go from my own experience from now on.

I will listen to you guys of course. ;)

I'd like to suggest something from a different direction. Lather.

Even though I have been wet shaving for almost 2 years (I think), I have only fairly recently discovered that the lather that I was using was usually too dry. What told me this? The humble Palmolive stick.

I have tried the Palmolive stick a few times, and been a little underwhelmed by it. The shaves it provided were less than stellar, and it seemed that my razor was having to work too hard.

One morning, I tried the Palmolive stick again, but on this occasion used less of it on my face, which resulted in a wetter lather, and a shave that was so easy and comfortable (think I used a Futur and a Swede blade) that I actually swore at myself in astonishment. Since then, I have always made my lather wetter, and am having better shaves. Just this week I have been shaving with a Feather blade, which is something that has caused me issues in the past. With my wetter lather, I have had 4 very good shaves using a Feather blade, whereas using a dryer lather, I would get maybe 2 or 3 shaves that were not really too good.

Now, I'm not suggesting for one moment that your lather isn't good, but it's just what I have experienced, and maybe instead of looking at the razor/blade having shortcomings, it's possibly something else. After all, it is the combination of all these elements that makes a good shave.

Good Luck!

Ian

huxley said:
Hot face cloth i cba with takes too much time i believe real shaving products have a hot face towel cream that's meant to work incredibly well, and it's cheap!! so i'll nip into asda at some point im sure they sell it there,

Hot face cloth is the bare minimum I use, usually a hot bath, then lather, then hot face cloth, then the shave. I don't shave everyday and sometimes leave it a week or so between shaves - my face appreciates a little time off.

If you know what kind of razor you need and you know what blades you like the problem must be elsewhere.

Listen mate...you asked, you've been given some sound advice, I'd consider it.

If your straight doesn't pass any of the usual hair tests, it isn't right.
If Feathers "light you up" then either your technique, prep, razor or possibly all three isn't right.

Just because I've been f**king my wife for ten years doesn't mean I know what I'm doing, as she will often tell me.

hunnymonster said:
antdad said:
Just because I've been f**king my wife for ten years...

I think you should have a rest, you Italian stallion you :D

:lol: I need one.

As Hux has worked in a boning hall for two decades I was trying to appeal to his nature. All that boning, flashing blade and raw flesh has got to put hairs on your chest.

antdad said:
All that boning, flashing blade and raw flesh has got to put hairs on your chest.

That would explain why im bit of a silverback. :mrgreen:

Passes every hair test bar the hht, but anyway if it keeps you happy soon as im in a decent position [wahey] i will send it off to neil.

That do it for you sweetheart. ;)

But like i said the guy i bought it from it's known on srp as one of the best in the business for honing, not lynn btw.

As for feathers not everyone gets on with them, im surprised by that comment you of all people should know better than that.

Edit - right just had my best shave yet so for now i consider this thread at an end.

Mixture of a razor honed by yours truly and better prep the honemeister must have had an off day, dfs and not a hint of irritation.

Back
Top Bottom