Shaving Cream help

Well in my life of shaving I have never used a shaving cream until now that is as a few weeks ago my kind and loving wife brought me some trumper Almond shaving cream.
The problem is how much do you used what I mean is once you have damp brush unlike my hard soaps where I rotate around the dish for about 30 seconds to get a nice amount before make a lather it seems in the time I have used this cream that I don't need to put as much on my brush as I am because I seem to have so much and have taken to making a lather on face which is very thick.

A little advice on what you all do would help and then from that I should be able to work out what's best for me

Thanks in advance

I smear a small amount of cream in the bottom of a small bowl, shake a little water out of the brush then swirl around the bowl to build a lather. I then paint on, then have a scrubbing/circular massage before smoothing over with painting motions.
Experiment with different amounts of cream and water to find the lather texture and thickness that suits you.

Others will explain how they face lather directly with creams.

For face lathering cream from a tube I shake the brush a few times to remove some water, then squeeze an almond-ish size blob of the cream into the breach of the brush, wet my face with water and then lather up with circular motions. If I need more water I dip the end of the bristles in the sink and carry on.

For cream from a tub, I simply dip/twirl the end of the bristles in the pot of cream to pick up a bit of product and go from there using the same technique.

Once out of the shower, i rub a small amount of cream all over my chops whilst waiting for the sink to fill up. I then place a decent size blob of cream onto the palm of my hand and start to load the brush. This isn't to build the lather just load the brush, wipe hand over face and then start to build the lather with the brush on face. :shave

I face lather with cream. You can use the classic 'almond-sized' amount of cream and smear it around your chops, and then put hydrated brush to face. Or you can squish the blob in to the brush and then lather on the face.

Antdad did a great post in the "Shaving Help" board called "How to face lather with creams."

It will tell you all you need to know.

P.S. that post is stickied in "Shaving Help"

andyjreid said:
Antdad did a great post in the "Shaving Help" board called "How to face lather with creams."

It will tell you all you need to know.

P.S. that post is stickied in "Shaving Help"

Okay will be sure to look

If you are interested in trying different lathering methods with cream, the "standard" amount suggested is an almond sized amount.

I like to use just a little more than that.

It would probably be easiest to use a bowl for the time being, whilst you're working out how much cream and water you need.

Although cream is supposed to be partially hydrated soap, it still needs a fair bit of water in the brush for successful face lathering: Henk's for instance, which is by no means stiff in consistency, needs loads. His advice if I remember correctly, is to remove the brush from the soaking water and bring it down vertically to a sharpish stop twice: that will leave a much wetter brush than shaking. Well worth a try.

Arrowhead said:
Although cream is supposed to be partially hydrated soap, it still needs a fair bit of water in the brush for successful face lathering

Agreed. I usually need more water and a wetter brush with cream than I do if I use a stick like Valobra for example.

Back
Top Bottom