shaving brush restoration advice needed

Hi Guys

I am going to attempt to replace several knots, i know a few of you do this, so i was hoping on some general advise. ie removal of old knot, and selection and fitting of new.

thanks rob

You can use steaming to remove the old knot inside a pot with boiling water. Put the knot in a bowl and the bowl into the boiling water. Let it sit for 10 minutes. I don't know how old the brush is, maybe it doesn't have epoxy so this technique probably wont work.

theunnamed said:
You can use steaming to remove the old knot inside a pot with boiling water. Put the knot in a bowl and the bowl into the boiling water. Let it sit for 10 minutes. I don't know how old the brush is, maybe it doesn't have epoxy so this technique probably wont work.

thanks for that, the handle is pewter, not sure how old it is, might have a go of steaming it, seems a good idea, but will try and find some info to see if it is ok to do that to pewter.

thanks rob

I have a tutorial thread on the Shave Den and Shave Nook brush forums titled "Transplant in Progress", that might help.
It is not difficult, and I would encourage you to read up as much as you can, and then go for it. Great fun.

SRNewb said:
I have a tutorial thread on the Shave Den and Shave Nook brush forums titled "Transplant in Progress", that might help.
It is not difficult, and I would encourage you to read up as much as you can, and then go for it. Great fun.

Thanks, will have a look at that.

Rob

[attachment=12865][attachment=12866]

Well here goes the first one.

Just hope i can do it justice.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0280.jpg1.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 24
A Dremel is an excellent tool for the job. I have steamed knots out but if that fails then drill into the knot and use I think its the carbide tool to remove the knot completely.

[attachment=13052]

No 2 completed super celsit with 16 mm boar. knot came out just with pulling the hair, so not much work involved in this one.

Attachments

• IMAG0298.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom