Shaving brush jargon - help please

Would anyone care to define what is meant by the term "lather hog" when describing the characteristics of a shaving brush. What causes a brush to be described as such?

And if a brush is described as having a good "flow through" what does that mean and what enables a brush to have it?

I think I know the answers, but I would like something authoritative to include in my blog.

And it might help others here.

'lather hog': a short lofted, extremely dense brush (think chubby 1, rooney 1/1 or Emilion) which holds most of the lather 'buried' deep within the knot, and thus releasing it rather sparingly onto your face, or only after some vigorous brushwork. A lather hog has limited 'flow through'.

'flow through': essentially the space between the hairs of your brush - more space makes it easier for water, cream/soap and air to pass through the brush knot, mixing together quicker, and consequently forming a stable lather faster. A brush with a good 'flow through' risks becoming a 'wet mop' when you apply the lather on your cheeks.

:ugeek:

I would only add that this is usually a consequence of the brush being too dense but it can be compensated for by adding more product.

Its a delicate balance, ideally you want the face feel that a dense brush gives you combined with the lather producing ability of a lesser haired brush, well I do anyway.

Back
Top Bottom