Shaving bowls

I finally got around to experimenting with a wooden shaving bowl I got from a supplier as a sample. Put my new soft soap in it last night ans had a lather, and again this morning. I wanted to see how long it would last before starting to look a bit worn out (I was kindly piffed a half used bowl of C of E sandalwood some time back, and the bowl looked pretty scruffy, although no idea whether it had been reused several times or was on its maiden voyage).
Well, this morning I noticed that the foam on the rim of the bowl looked brown, and when I wiped it off with a tissue, there was obvious discolouration on the paper. So I'm presuming this is not what should normally happen when first using a new wooden bowl?

I'm thinking now I will use glass jars for my new soft soap/ hard cream......once I get through the numerous plastic ones I have already. If it's good enough for Martin de Candre it's good enough for me!

I'ld be interested to hear what sort of containers people like for a very soft soap.

:shock: :eek: :shock: I'm using the soap I make myself, and it's very nice on the face!!!!

Unless it really is the soap that is at fault.....in which case I may have to remarket is as 'mini derabrasion soap'. :lol:

I put some arko sticks into them metal tubes you get in grooming kits,bad idea as when i came to use them the other day they had turned a blue colour on the outside due to rust i presume so ended up binning 3 full arko sticks. :cry:

soapalchemist said:
:shock: :eek: :shock: I'm using the soap I make myself, and it's very nice on the face!!!!

Unless it really is the soap that is at fault.....in which case I may have to remarket is as 'mini derabrasion soap'. :lol:

Make a fortune if you advertise in the glossy mags :D

bazwalk said:
soapalchemist said:

Make a fortune if you advertise in the glossy mags :D

Probably not if I can't spell 'dermabrasion'. :lol:

soapalchemist said:
I finally got around to experimenting with a wooden shaving bowl I got from a supplier as a sample. Put my new soft soap in it last night ans had a lather, and again this morning.

Well, this morning I noticed that the foam on the rim of the bowl looked brown, and when I wiped it off with a tissue, there was obvious discolouration on the paper. So I'm presuming this is not what should normally happen when first using a new wooden bowl?

This was an unfinished wooden bowl then, right? Not the best thing to put a shaving soap in, certainly not if one intends to lather in said bowl. I know many soaps-in-bowls are sold in unfinished wood, and those most definitely are not intended for refill -- they're disposable containers...

If you want a wooden bowl for 'continuous' service -- refilling with new soap when it's empty -- you really need a finished bowl; a very good oil finish with a drying oil may just do, if reapplied every once in a while, but for safety, I would recommend using a marine spar varnish, even though it doesn't look as good as an oil finish...

I prefer to spend the money on the soap ingredients. What it comes in doesn't bother me. I will often go for a refill cake and put it in one of these.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.whitefurze.net/detail.php?ref=F0150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whitefurze.net/detail.php?ref=F0150</a><!-- m -->

Pete

It's probably my poor phraseology; I meant bowls/ containers that you would buy the soap in, rather than lathering bowls......although they too have been on my mind lately.

So anyway, I'll tuck my new GANNET SQUAD ALERT away here.....I'm giving away 5 of my new travel tubes of Warm Spice Shaving Cream 30mls, weighing a mere 40g; perfect for the gannet who wants to travel light, and can PM me before they're gone. That's one per member, not 5 for the first gannet! I will also pay P & P. Can't say fairer than that.

They don't have ingredients labels on them due to not being able to fit them on the labels I have, but I'll mail you them. Please send me your address when you PM.

Back
Top Bottom