Shaving and kids safety...

I've read on a few posts people worried about going into straights/DE's because of fear of safety for their little ones.
I'll cover a few points, feel free to add your own ideas to this thread.

Hopefully this hasn't been covered elsewhere, if it has, please ignore :D

As wel all know, curiosity is a part of growing up, being linke mommy and daddy is too, girls want to try makeup, boys want to play shaving.
First off, I'm sure all off you are very aware off the danger of any blade, be it DE or a straight, we've all accidentally cut ourselves at one point.
I don't pretend to be an expert on anything, but I've seen quite some wounds inflicted voluntarily and involuntary with sharp objects. (not pretty!)

So, keeping your stash safe from the curious blighters..

DE blades are tempting, little packets in bright colours, and believe me, even high up on a shelf, kids will find a way to get at them if they want.
Straights, probably less tempting, but more dangerous, since blades exposure is immediate. (no wrappers etc..)

So don't do what I do:
iLIPn.jpg

I had a friend over with her kid the other day, the little blighter (2yo) came back in the living room with a couple of packs of blades in her hands. (still in the pack)
(these jars were on a shelf) She taught they were sweets...

So what's a good idea, well first of all, if you want to let your kid play shave, I'd recommend giving them "their" razor, find an old one, paint it a bright colour, and make it "theirs"
The colour distinction is on purpose, it makes the kid aware that there is a difference between daddy's toys, and his/hers.

Second of all, putting anything high up might deter most, but quite a few kids know how to get a chair into the bathroom. (if there isn't already one), and climb.

I suggest that for those with kids, leaving anything razor related (even without a blade) lying around is a no-no.
(you probably take the blade out 99% of the time, it's that 1% moment that your kid will decide to play with it)

I have a wooden trinket box, mine doesn't lock, but it should.

my0LA.jpg

These can be had for a 10-20 quid, and they're good.

Otherwise, another, cheaper, but maybe less elegant solution.

Cash-Box-4-Big.jpg

They can be had at various online stores (google "cash box") for less than a tenner.

Be sure to use silica gel sachets, to avoid things rusting in there, these can be found in any box of electrical appliance, or you can get some of the auction site. (especially straights)
A cash box can store a lot of blades, but also store your razors. (for that 1% moment)

DE Blades.

There have been several topic on disposing of DE blades, so I'm not going over that one too much.

e9Whe.jpg

Sharps container & blade bank

But several solutions exist, either get a sharps container, cut a slit in the lid, and seal it permanently.
(don't use the "temporary lock", as you can reopen them) these can be had at most pharmacies. (or online)
Once full, I think pharmacies take them back, otherwise take them to your GP on your next visit.

The other solution is a blade bank, there was a group buy not long ago on these, and they're not bad.
However, these can be easily opened, so maybe not ideal when you have kids around.

Last possibility, a tin can, buy some thin soup in a can (or drink in an aluminium can), drill a hole to empty it top and bottom, rince, cut a slit in the top.
Do paint the can, or peel the label off, if it looks interesting, kids are going to play with it.

Disclaimer: I have no kids, and know f-all, all I know is that they're not compatible with sharp objects.

Max

My blade stash is kept in a tin box in the airing cupboard (which is locked with a chubb lock as its full of electrical control gubbins for the boiler)
My used blade containier is one of those sealed money boxes that are desigend to let you save up £200 in 50p's. it was 79p from the cheap shop.
Once full will be sealed and taken to the scrap metal bin (presumably to be melted down).

Back
Top Bottom