Shaving Acquisitions April

According to someone on badger and blade, they came on a few NEW models made in England.

They did ... yes, predominantly raised flat-bottom New Types, as you've shown.

Here's a couple of mine - both open-ended ball-end handles (one obscured). One RFB and one FB but long-slotted.

AMWts8DavEPikF8KxzEvy6HyyCfs0tOe4o7KwZ5N6kJIlAmUSfaanTxD7cnCjtoo61tcubGoQODDqV6W99MpHqAPdLGVSkdQiaqC2lhT_IkOmIvzhMlXs8z-JOFl1qRIzT7sIpBaVXB7tA7i9cVGyT5NPQzG-Q=w800

Super! You're building quite a collection. Those open-ended RFBs don't come up often.

View attachment 103797
EBay find - BNIB persona BBS-0 for £12 posted… and a free culmak brush (no clue on a knot size but assuming 18mm or somewhere around there? )

Glydex, I believe was the marketing name ... both razor and Super Stainless blades of the day.

Nice little brush, too. The smaller knots are actually really nice to use and smushed into the face give an exfoliating effect. The bristles take a lot longer by today's standards to wear in, but they will ... don't accelerate that by abusing it.

Glydex, I believe was the marketing name ... both razor and Super Stainless blades of the day.

Nice little brush, too. The smaller knots are actually really nice to use and smushed into the face give an exfoliating effect. The bristles take a lot longer by today's standards to wear in, but they will ... don't accelerate that by abusing it.
Thanks that’s great to know! Still debating whether to open it up or keep as display piece… I’ll take it easy with the brush, gave it a clean and a test lather (in hand) - and was positively surprised!

Thanks that’s great to know! Still debating whether to open it up or keep as display piece… I’ll take it easy with the brush, gave it a clean and a test lather (in hand) - and was positively surprised!

With a lot of these packs, the glue holding the plastic to the cardboard becomes ineffective with time. Maybe a little persuasian on one by gently bending/rolling the card against the plastic would get it to free up. Only a little movement is required to get the actual razor out ... and back in again.

With a lot of these packs, the glue holding the plastic to the cardboard becomes ineffective with time. Maybe a little persuasian on one by gently bending/rolling the card against the plastic would get it to free up. Only a little movement is required to get the actual razor out ... and back in again.
Brilliant - I’ll give it a go - thanks a lot Paul! Fingers crossed it’ll stay presentable haha

What on earth have I done!

I wanted to try out a larger Boti NC chubby knot so picked up a 30mm. I'd been struggling to find a handle I liked, picked up a run of the mill cream acrylic handle which I didn't like so whipped the knot out and eventually got around to getting a new handle, Oumo Metal Warhammer, this thing is ridiculous. 230g with the knot installed. I think I could beat someone to death with this thing.
20230411_144424.jpg

Shaving Time arrival
Replacement Razorock blue barbershop soap and splash. A bit of extra Stirling Margaritas ready for hotter weather.
I thought, as I didn't have any Pinaud and am trying to pair something with the Rex 1955 (seeing as I haven't seen the matching splash in the UK yet), this may do the trick.

Attachments

• 20230412_133321.jpg
    20230412_133321.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 9
I’ve got a 50’s English heavy ball-end Tech from the bay on the way. Can’t seem to grab the photos though. Been looking for an inexpensive one of these for a while but they don’t seem to pop very often. It’s almost always the aluminium version. Just one more Tech to go and that will do me - the so called ‘Spiral Tech’ but nickel plated solid brass. After the last couple of shaves with my fat handle, flat bottom Tech, I’ve been wondering if there’s any point in using anything else. A nine out of ten shave every time with ease and not so blade fussy as long as it’s towards the sharper end of the spectrum. Better blade clamping than almost any other razor I’ve used and by’eck owd lad, ‘tis brass!

PS. If @pjgh has photos of the above two to hand, I’d love to see ’em.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 50’s English heavy ball-end Tech from the bay on the way. Can’t seem to grab the photos though. Been looking for an inexpensive one of these for a while but they don’t seem to pop very often. It’s almost always the aluminium version. Just one more Tech to go and that will do me - the so called ‘Spiral Tech’ but nickel plated solid brass. After the last couple of shaves with my fat handle, flat bottom Tech, I’ve been wondering if there’s any point in using anything else. A nine out of ten shave every time with ease and not so blade fussy as long as it’s towards the sharper end of the spectrum. Better blade clamping than almost any other razor I’ve used and by’eck owd lad, ‘tis brass!

PS. If @pjgh has photos of the above two to hand, I’d love to see ’em.
I also like the fat handled flat bottom tech, I have 10 razors and I use the tech. I find it very hard to beat.

As the weather is hopefully improving and warming up - gone for some Proraso Menthol Splash & their white balm. Proraso's post shave products are top notch and consistent, for me.

I can also recommend the online shop La Barbiera. Great service again, and I have never had any issues with delivery (y)

Back
Top Bottom