Shavette - another (final?) attempt

I fancy having another go with my shavette this weekend, if I get the time. My previous attempts ( with a derby blade) have left me very very smooth but, with some major irritation, especially on the neck area. Its been so long since I last used it.. I think I did 2 passes only, wtg, and xtg.

I am thinking of using a different blade, a GST, or crystal maybe..?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Jase.

JaseB said:
I fancy having another go with my shavette this weekend, if I get the time. My previous attempts ( with a derby blade) have left me very very smooth but, with some major irritation, especially on the neck area. Its been so long since I last used it.. I think I did 2 passes only, wtg, and xtg.

I am thinking of using a different blade, a GST, or crystal maybe..?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Jase.

Not many people seem to use the shavette as their regular razor. This suggests to me that they're not really good enough.

If you want to go in the direction of an open razor, then maybe getting a proper open razor would be the way to go. There are some great posts on the forum about straight razors by Neil Miller, and they are well worth a read.

Ian

Cheers Ian - I will take another look at them. I just saw the shavette in my drawer the other day and thought I must give it another go.

Give it another go with a different blade by all means but shavette's ( at least the ones I have tried) are rather unforgiving. A nice straight is relatively easy to use by comparison.

I'm currently using a shavette at the moment while I wait for my straights to come back from Neil Miller he's doing some work on them.

Using a shavette I know that they have a few issues first is the corners of the blade mean it works like a spike point on a straight which if you have read the 1905 book shaving made easy you'll know that this type of blade is better suited to the more experanced shaver because its easy to cut your self with it. A lot of straights have rounded points so the becomes a non issue. Also the shavettes tend to be lighter so they'll feel a little different to a straight. So these things make them a little tricky to use, but you can get a close comfortable shave with them but the learning curve is very steep and you will have a number of dissapointing shaves before you get to where you want to be.

I tried a shavette as an introduction to straight razor shaving but found I couldn't get on with it, too much to learn with just holding the thing properly, never mind the not slicing your face bit. I think I tried it about half dozen times before I gave up, I too have been told since that its a lot easier with a straight so one day I might take the step but it certainly put me off for a while.

Back
Top Bottom