Shaves of the First Week

Last week was my first of DE shaving and it's been an interesting few days. I have to say that I really look forward to my daily shave now, whereas I previously would avoid it if I possibly could.

Here's how it went.

Monday

Pre: Hot shower
Brush: Menu-U Pure Bristle
Razor: Merkur 25C with Boots blade
Soap: Palmolive Classic cream

Well, I have to say I was a bit nervous about this one but all-in-all it was a success. I was slightly surprised by how scratchy the brush was but had no previous benchmark against which to measure it. Lathering in a plastic Chinese rice bowl went OK, though I think I used a bit more soap than I should. After one WTG and one XTG I wasn't entirely satisfied with the result so I finished with an ATG. A few minor nicks, as I think I was using too much pressure in places, but a quick splash of cold water and everything was fine. A bit of burn, but with it being my first time and an ATG pass, I can't say I'm surprised.

Tuesday:
Brush: New Forest 2205 <-- it arrived just in time!
Razor: Merkur 25C with Boots blade
Soap: RSC

Wayhay! Just as I was about to get in the shower, Postie turned up with my new brush, a New Forest 2205 Super Badger. Now that's more like it. Lovely soft tips but plenty of backbone. Left it in the sink to warm up while I had my shower. Can't say that the RSC cream behaved any differently to the Palmolive but I've nothing bad to say about it (except it was three times the price). With everything nice and warm, I really enjoyed lathering up. Something very satisfying about a nice brush and warm lather. This time, I did WTG, XTG, WTG, XTG but no ATG. Again, a couple of spots of blood and a bit of irritation but by the time I'd finished, everything was just fine. Not as close as the day before, but comfortable, nonetheless.

Wednesday:
Pre: RSC Scrub
Brush: New Forest 2205
Razor: Merkur 25C with Derby Extra
Soap: Palmolive Classic

More goodies turned up today, this time a sample pack of blades and an alum block from Connaught. I've already had my shower this morning, to prep is a scrub with this RSC stuff. Grit everywhere. Lathering technique is improving slowly as I get a bit more moisture in there. Ooh, not happy with the Derby. Seems pretty reluctant to cut and leaves me more irritated than the Boots blade. Maybe it's just not a good combination with the 25C. Takes four passes again to get a decent result, two WTG, two XTG. Ooooh, that alum block zings a bit, eh?

Thursday:
Pre: RSC Scrub
Brush: New Forest 2205 <- We're in love
Razor: Merkur 25C with Derby Extra

Yeah, despite yesterday's experience, I've still got the Derby in. I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and see if it does a better job second time around. No such luck. Seems every bit as reluctant to take the hair off as yesterday. Not so much irritation, though and no bleeding. Fancy getting in closer, so it's WTG,XTG,WTG,XTG,ATG today. Yep, five passes. Starting to like the endorphin rush when I wipe the alum block around my face.

Friday:
Razor: Merkur 25C with Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow

The Derby's are consigned to the naughty step for now and it's in with a Gillette yellow. I seriously contemplated a Feather for several minutes but I'm too scared. The pack stays sealed for now. I'm happy with the way my lathering technique is going. I'm using a bit less soap each time but getting a richer lather. Still, I'm not entirely happy with my plastic rice bowl. I wonder if I can do something about that? The shave today feels much better and the Yellow seems to be singing to me today. A moment's carelessness and I've got a couple of nicks in the rough under my chin. I smile wryly to myself in the mirror as I think about how that's going to feel when I get the alum block on it (WTF?). I'm happy with three passes today, WTG, XTG, WTG. So far in my extensive testing, the Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows are my favourite blade.

Saturday:
Pre: Hot shower & RSC scrub
AS: L'Occitane Eav de Bevx

Spoiling myself with prep today as I have a hot shower followed by a scrub with the RSC. The combination of razor and blade does a fine job again today but I add a bit of ATG on my cheeks and jawbone just to polish things up a bit. Uneventful but really enjoyable. Finish off with a squirt of L'Occitane Eav de Bevx. OK, it's an Eau de Toilette rather than an aftershave but I don't really know the difference (except I'm squirting, not splashing) and it smells nice.

Sunday:
Brush: New Forest 2205 (of course)
AS: L'Occitane Eav de Bevx

Yesterday, I found a lovely bowl in my local Japanese food shop. It's earthenware, about 5" across and slightly triangular in shape rather than perfectly round. Inside, it's glazed at the bottom but unglazed (and rather rough) from about half way up. This gives the soap a little extra bite and building up a good lather is super fun today. It retains heat really well, too, so the lather is luscious and warm throughout the entire shave. I'm pushing the Yellow to a third day but it does just fine. Four passes today, no ATG and I'm set for the day.

So, at the end of week one, I've learned loads. My technique is improving and I've not seen blood for several days! Seems to take four passes though and I don't get real smoothness without an ATG pass. Bits of kit I love, of course my brush and my new bowl. I'm not sure about the razor yet but again, I've got nothing to compare it to. But hopefully that'll change tomorrow; I have an Edwin Jagger DE89L on the way...

Best of all, I've found that my morning shave sets me up nicely for the day ahead. My morning routine is something that I actively look forward to rather than something to be endured.

And there's loads more stuff I can buy! Onwards...

Just a quick question, why are you doing a second WTG after the XTG pass? I can't see it doing anything other than causing irritation, as the hair you didn't cut with the first WTG pass and the XTG pass won't be cut by another WTG swipe. Better I feel to skip it and instead go XTG from the other direction (180 degrees from the first XTG pass). This might get you a closer result without needing to go ATG, which may be another cause of irritation for you, especially as you are shaving every day.

Well done Steve, sounds like you are making great progress. :D If I were you I'd leave ATG for a while until you have really got a good technique going with the grain. You are doing great but, as Chris says, you shouldn't really need to do another identical pass. Don't worry it will come, especially considering you have such confidence after such a short time. :p

chrisbell and Pig Cat, thanks for the good advice. I admit that making multiple identical passes doesn't make sense, though I have found that they take off a little extra, so either my technique is letting me down a little or the razor is (I think I know what the answer is, don't worry). I shall give the reverse XTG a go and see what difference that makes and reserve the ATG pass for those occasions when I really must have a BBS finish. Of course, once I get the DE89L in my hands, things are likely to change somewhat.

smorgo said:
chrisbell and Pig Cat, thanks for the good advice. I admit that making multiple identical passes doesn't make sense, though I have found that they take off a little extra, so either my technique is letting me down a little or the razor is (I think I know what the answer is, don't worry). I shall give the reverse XTG a go and see what difference that makes and reserve the ATG pass for those occasions when I really must have a BBS finish. Of course, once I get the DE89L in my hands, things are likely to change somewhat.

The DE89L is a very fine razor. I think a lot of chaps here, if forced to own only one razor :eek: , would choose that one. It just feels solid and does the job really smoothly. I'm sure you'll like it.

Hi Steve

Great post. I am new to DE shaving aswell. I started with a Merkur 38c and moved to a Muhle R89 which I think has the same head as the EJ89. All I can say is, Smooth, smooth, smooth. Of course as they say these parts, YMMV.

Cheers

smorgo said:
I admit that making multiple identical passes doesn't make sense,
There is such a thing as taking "beard reduction" too far - and unless you have a date I cannot see the necessity of absolute BBS.
This is a learning curve, not a course at the end of one which can be "failed".
Take it easy - enjoy yourself! :D

Back
Top Bottom